Towing, CELs & Kitten Farts

tripn4days

Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hi everybody. New to this forum but was kindly referred here by the "archive forum" over at trailvoy. Regardless, I've found your forums very helpful and interesting! Thank you for all the effort & hard work that undoubtedly goes into making them great! REALLY REALLY nice landing/home page too BTW :smile:

Now for some head scratching...

Never really tried to “haul” anything with my truck until now, but I more or less sought out a V8 (which is quite hard to find in a mid-size SUV!) solely for the purpose hauling my car to the track and back. I'm new to US vehicles and trucks/SUV's in particular, so pardon any noobish questions, but did some searching in the forums regarding my situation only to find that each similar issue I came across was actually slightly different… So perhaps to add to the confusion, but hopefully not, here it goes:

TRUCK: 2008 Envoy Denali 5.3L 4WD with 3.42 rear end. 120xxx miles with new spark plugs and complete trans fluid change out 3k ago. Never had a problem with her till now

SITUATION: Hauling 4600lbs load on double axle trailer. 2400lbs car on a 2200lbs inertia brake trailer across very flat land.

HOW IT HAPPENED:

Loaded car up and headed out of town. Truck pulled car no problem, brakes seemed sufficient. Made it about 2 miles from home @ 35mph (1 mile flat followed by 1 mile slight downhill grade) to stop light. Suddenly truck began running really rough and lacked power. YIKES! Turned around and went back home. About 3 miles into my 4 mile round trip, the CEL popped on. Few moments later it started blinking. Engine still spitting and sputtering but pulled trailer okay. Drove home slowly @ ~25mph. Despite CEL blinking, no messages on digital odo readout. I even searched through all the menus looking for some sort of indication about what was up.

Backed truck into driveway, shut down and rechecked all fluids—everything normal

Started truck again and miraculously it ran fine! :wooot: No CEL or anything. WEIRD…” Bad gas?” I thought. I was almost empty anyway so I filled her up with full tank of premium 93 octane two blocks from home and hit the road.

Almost EXACTLY 2 miles out the whole episode repeats. :duh: Pulled over, shut down and restarted but engine still sputtering and CEL still blinking. Shut down for 10 minutes. Try again, no luck.

Limped back home and let her sit overnight and all next day, but still ran like crap. Disconnected battery
the next day and she started up and ran fine—even pulled 2200lbs empty trailer back to UHaul (6 mile round trip) without missing a beat. No more CEL.

Drove mixed city/highway next day for about 30 miles. Suddenly
CEL comes on with a P0420 code. I figured probably related to previous misfiring and just now registering since I only drove about 10 minutes and 5 miles while misfiring.

Despite P0420 car is running great. Came home today and disconnected battery and cleaned up TB. (It didn’t really seem very dirty, but it’s sparkling and shiny now) Drove another 30 miles of mixed city/highway to give truck time to cycle through system checks etc. Drives great, no CEL.

:undecided: NoObish? QUESTIONS:

1. Will the truck acknowledge “limp mode” in the digital odo readout somewhere?
I cant tell if I was in limp mode or misfiring. I have no idea what limp mode looks/feels/sounds like, but there was no SES or any other message displayed.
2. What happens if one tries to tow too much weight? At 4700lbs total, my truck should have been able to pull this setup no problem, but this was the first real load I ever put on her.
3. What other ignition issues are typical for this truck? Misfiring is generally related to coil packs and spark plugs, but I’ve never heard of a CP failing terribly (truck ran like it was more than just 1 misfiring cylinder) only to then just return to normal simply by disconnecting & reconnecting the battery.
4. Will the engine management system throw a code and then lock itself into that mode? Meaning, if a misfire is detected, does it just quit trying to fire that coil pack or something?
5. What’s a LEAN engine run, sound and smell like? I haven’t changed fuel filter yet. It’s next on my list, but I doubt I was running lean as exhaust was heavy and very rich smelling.
6. What else am I missing?

FINAL THOUGHTS: Perhaps it was “purely coincidental” that I was hauling a heavy load when this happened, but I doubt it. I’ve never had a single problem with this truck otherwise. Including hauling a popup camper, jet skis, and utility trailer…. Though I’ve only had the truck since July and have only put about 5k miles since then. Having never owned an American vehicle before, I really wanted to give GM a chance. Granted 2008 was the height of “The Dark Years” for GM, but it’s my understanding that this 5.3L and 4L60 transmission are supposed to be a pretty solid, tried & true combo.

:duh:. I only bought this truck b/c I wanted to haul my car to the track. I can live with 16mpg if she’s up for the car-hauling task, but if this thing’s only good for a kittern fart with of torque, I’m going to be really, really upset. :mad:

I do like my Envoy, so plz dont tell me I should've just bought a 4Runner... I get enough of that as it is from my euro/jap loving family :bonk:

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome!

That sucks. I know that the p0420 is for the catalytic converter efficiency is below threshold. This code has been a scourge to me with my VW passat.

My guess would be a bad cat, 02 sensor, or a bad thermostat. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more specific info about what it could be on a V8 Envoy.

tripn4days

Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hypnotoad said:
Welcome!

That sucks. I know that the p0420 is for the catalytic converter efficiency is below threshold. This code has been a scourge to me with my VW passat.

My guess would be a bad cat, 02 sensor, or a bad thermostat. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more specific info about what it could be on a V8 Envoy.
Yeah, 0420 has been a nuisance on my Subaru for the last 6 or 7 years. I'm pretty sure my Voy trew the code because of the misfires dumping gasoline on the cat, which cooled it below the treshold of optimum perfomance. Once I got things back up and running, it's been fine since.

djthumper said:
Do a test on the O2 sensors
Yeah I just ordered a J1850 VPW OBD-II box from amazon. I hope it provides real time O2 sensor readout. I hear the O2 sensors can sometimes act/react slowly... The CEL has been out now for two days, but I still havent solved the mystery of WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED...

Dec 4, 2011
Your Denali should tow this with no problem. My 06 tows a 4000+ boat no problem, no effort.

You may want to investigate a tune, woke mine up from a nap, best $ i have spent.

tripn4days

Original poster
May 22, 2014
Whats a good tune run? Who's got the best one? Any chance of getting a tune that ran 4cyls at a stop instead of just on freeway?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not sure if our motors can support cylinder deactivation. But most people send their pcm to pcmofnc (I believe that's it) and get them tuned. They can do just about anything to them. They also send you a loaner pcm to put in when you take yours out so that you're not stranded without a car.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Mounce, you on Tapatalk? :smile: He has a V8, so it should have the (dreaded) DOD/AFM stock.

Tripn, if you get a tune, disable DOD/AFM. The folks who have done it report no worse, and sometimes better, fuel economy. PCMofNC (or PCMforLEss - one is the new name...) charge around $200. Limequat (here on the board) charges $100 for a tune, $200 for a driving tune. Mine will be done soon - as soon as I can drive over to the Detroit area where he is.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I hear ya. Sometimes my phone will log me in with that, and I can't see squat. Takes me a second to realize what is wrong. Then I hit "Full Version" and all is well.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.