Towing a 3800 lb Boat/Trailer. Z71 Springs worth it?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Would it be worth adding the heavier Z71 springs for towing a 3800 lb trailer/boat combo? I will be upgrading to new Bilstein HD shocks also. It seems to tow the boat just fine, but I may be loading some more gear in the rear of the Envoy adding to the total. Just wondering if the Z71 Springs would be a good upgrade. Or would it make it too stiff for when I'm not towing? Thanks for any input. c good

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't bother. I think it would be too stiff plus it will lift up your rear a couple inches, and if you don't have a lift on your front then it'll be really weird looking.

If the rear sags too much, get a weight distributing hitch. Probably not a bad idea to do anyway.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I like the idea of the air helper spring inserts. What brand did you get? Anyone else running these? If so any model/brand recommendations would be appreciated. c good

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My total with the trailer is close to that, as long as you have the tounge weight right I don't really think it's necessary. Bilsteins help with bounce though.

Reactions: Sib

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
pontoon1.jpg

I tow this combo with ease. Its a 22 foot Crest Pontoon and trailer weighing 4200 lbs. I have a 2007 TB 4.2L and 3.42 gear. I also use 3rd gear to tow in.

Reactions: Sib

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
c good said:
I like the idea of the air helper spring inserts. What brand did you get? Anyone else running these? If so any model/brand recommendations would be appreciated. c good
I helped my friend install bags in his Sierra 1500. He went with an Air Lift 1000. Install was easy. He tows daily and has never had an issue. 3 cubic yards of top soil in a dump trailer and the ass end didn't drop. His daily trailer is a V nose loaded with tools compressors, generators, not sure of the weight.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You can do both. I put in the airlift compressor and remoted a gauge and switch up front.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.