Torque Pro vs. Car Gauge Pro

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
My daughter gave me an Amazon gift card for father's day and I finally got around to using it. One of the things I bought was a BAFX bluetooth OBDII dongle. I installed Torque Lite and after a few moments had the two talking to each other and displaying data. Very cool! Now I want to buy either Torque Pro, or Car Gauge Pro. Torque pro is $4.95. Car Gauge Pro is $8.95

I have read many reviews for both on Google Play. As always, both have strengths, and both have weaknesses.

What is your opinion, and why? Have you used this on other vehicles, or just your Trailblazer? Which one is easier to setup to your liking? Which one Which one does screen updates faster? Any bugs to report?

I suppose I could just buy both....but why?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I personally use Dash Command, better interfaces IMO, but I know Torque Pro is highly recommended as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I haven't looked at Dash Command but I can certify that Car Gauge Pro can read all codes. Powertrain, Body, ABS, Airbags, you name it. Granted the interface isn't as good as Torque's but the extra functionality is worth it.

Reactions: Mektek and Eric04

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Mooseman said:
I haven't looked at Dash Command but I can certify that Car Gauge Pro can read all codes. Powertrain, Body, ABS, Airbags, you name it. Granted the interface isn't as good as Torque's but the extra functionality is worth it.
+1

Torque is easier to use and has a nicer interface but car gauge pro has more functionality.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
I've been using Torque for its live gauges and quick code reading but recently installed Car Gauge Pro to check an ABS code. Honestly for the price, having both is well worth it.

Reactions: Eric04

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
do any of these show info for trans? like gear shifts and what gear your in? i'm having a problem with my Monte and think im only getting 3 gears...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I know torque can show what gear it's in, not sure if that gauge works on all vehicles or not though as I've never had it on my "dashboard."

-from what I've seen it'll also tell you torque converter lock up percentages so you'd be able to see if that might be the issue as well.

-just looked and it also has 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shift error gauges. Again, not sure if it works on all cars.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Yea i put those up and those werent reading anything. damn

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hey guys not sure where to post this but I got my bafx bluethooth obd2 also purchased car Guage pro today and this is like learning a whole new language. If you guys got a thread on obd2 for dummies please let me know. Lol. Thanks in advance.
If torque is any easier I'll download that if needed.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Either one would be a learning curve. I still haven't played with torque enough to see all it has to offer. I'd say stick with what you have for a few days and try to learn it, if you can't figure it out, then I'd consider getting torque. No reason to buy another app then have the same difficulties trying to learn it.

Reactions: xavierny25

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
My opinion on the two:

Torque

Pros:
much better interface all around
plugins
mpg gauges
multiple types of custom gauges
convenient raw data gauge
widgets

Cons:
pid scan takes forever
pid list updates one by one and you cannot remove unused pids on the list or set only the ones you want
code scanning takes longer than car gauge pro
does not have specific pids that car gauge offers

Car Gauge Pro

Pros:
simple ui (more of a personal preference)
specific manufacture pids
abs, transmission, body, transfer case pids
bi-directional commands (activate test)
data logging is simple
pid list is conveniently saved and accessed
using All (obd generic) gives a almost perfect list of pids for any diagnostics and logging

Cons:
simple ui (more of a personal preference)
data logs can be lost when not disconnecting before turning off car
not all pids show useful info
not all Specific pids are shown outside of powertrain pids, (Trans, abs, transfer case)
does not have graph logging

with all that said i prefer, and use car gauge pro almost every day and i love it, torque pro basically never gets used and dose not give any benefits when used

other apps to check out are
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pnn.obdcardoctor_full&hl=en for only $3 it really is a great app, it has a good list of pids and has graph logging

also another great app is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autonoma.athena&hl=en its free and has good pids for basic diagnostics, it also logs every thing in graphs making it easy to use, also its display makes it perfect for a in dash tablet or phone mounted on windshield to use as a small hud

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Mounce said:
Second link comes up "item not found" what's the name of the app?
"Test drive" idk why it always does this, the app is clearly classified lol

I can't find it at all by searching, I'll put up a link to the apk

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Reactions: Gerbil21
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
I love Torque Pro , its easy to set up and read, use and clear codes.... BUT I hate the fact it doesnt read other codes, I'm trying to use my adapter in car guage, it keeps giving me an error and wont communicate. I think its the ELM327 adapter but I could be wrong. I'll try the wifes tablet and see if that works with it.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
I love Torque Pro , its easy to set up and read, use and clear codes.... BUT I hate the fact it doesnt read other codes, I'm trying to use my adapter in car guage, it keeps giving me an error and wont communicate. I think its the ELM327 adapter but I could be wrong. I'll try the wifes tablet and see if that works with it.

It shows all codes for me on my 05, so it may just be the adapter, I have two and one of them won't connect to generic obd only gm pids idk why, but that shows that the adapter can be a hit or miss sometimes, especially the super cheap eBay ones

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I'm not quite decided on Torque Pro or Car Gauge Pro.
I'm mainly looking to troubleshoot electronic issues, so how specific do these scan apps get?
With a Snap-On Modus/Solus I was able to see things like turn signal lever status, blower speed, and even the fact that I had a DRL killer.
Can you see these details with CGP/Torque?

Also, what adapters are recommended for full-functionality?

Thanks.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm not quite decided on Torque Pro or Car Gauge Pro.
I'm mainly looking to troubleshoot electronic issues, so how specific do these scan apps get?
With a Snap-On Modus/Solus I was able to see things like turn signal lever status, blower speed, and even the fact that I had a DRL killer.
Can you see these details with CGP/Torque?

Also, what adapters are recommended for full-functionality?

Thanks.
I know torque does not go that deep...

Reactions: gpking

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
so how specific do these scan apps get?

Here's a quick video , scrolling through the available options Torque has. Obviously they will only display data if our PCM supports these options. You may have to pause it, as I scrolled kinda fast at times :duh:

what adapters are recommended for full-functionality?

Lots of links and discussions on this topic in the Code Scanners thread. :twocents:

Reactions: gpking and dmanns67

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Thanks for the replies.

I'll definitely have to do more research.
I'm just sick of throwing parts at my HVAC system and driving in the cold 100miles/day 4 days a week because of this electronic gremlin.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Car gauge pro can scan for body, ABS, transfer case codes as well as P codes but that's pretty much it. It won't go deep like controlling stuff like HVAC controls and such. Only the Tech 2 or possibly the Snap On brick can do that.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Car gauge pro can scan for body, ABS, transfer case codes as well as P codes but that's pretty much it. It won't go deep like controlling stuff like HVAC controls and such. Only the Tech 2 or possibly the Snap On brick can do that.

Do you know if Car Gauge Pro can read Stabilitrak faults?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes! I did before I got my Tech 2.

Reactions: dmanns67

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For sure that Torque's interface is much better but it lacks the advanced scanning capabilities of CGP. Even just scanning for P codes is clunkier in CGP.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The increased scanning capabilities of CGP is the only reason why I downloaded the app, lite version for now. GUI is definitely much better on TorquePro.

I also downloaded DashCommand app, but have not went deep into it. I think its another $9.99 to get full functionality of the app.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
For those of you using the Car Gauge Pro app, since I have bought their full version, I have not been able to connect with my ELM327. I know my ELM327 works as I can connect with TorquePro.

In the preferences, what are you guys using for the "adapter protocol", 0-Automatic? CGP gives a list of protocols, but VPW for GM vehicles only covers 1996-2004. They also reference CAN (11/29 Bit) for 2004 and newer vehicles, but that is not even an option on my protocol list. I have yet to use the CGP app and was wondering if I need to setup something differently in the setting.

[Protocols Supported]
* VPW - 1996-2004 Year (GM vehicles)
* PWM - 1996-2004 Year (Ford vehicles)
* ISO 9141(Slow) - 1996-2004 (Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles)
* KWP 2000(Slow/Fast) - 1996-2004 (Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles)
* CAN (11/29 Bit) - (2004 and Newer)

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
For those of you using the Car Gauge Pro app, since I have bought their full version, I have not been able to connect with my ELM327. I know my ELM327 works as I can connect with TorquePro.

In the preferences, what are you guys using for the "adapter protocol", 0-Automatic? CGP gives a list of protocols, but VPW for GM vehicles only covers 1996-2004. They also reference CAN (11/29 Bit) for 2004 and newer vehicles, but that is not even an option on my protocol list. I have yet to use the CGP app and was wondering if I need to setup something differently in the setting.

[Protocols Supported]
* VPW - 1996-2004 Year (GM vehicles)
* PWM - 1996-2004 Year (Ford vehicles)
* ISO 9141(Slow) - 1996-2004 (Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles)
* KWP 2000(Slow/Fast) - 1996-2004 (Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles)
* CAN (11/29 Bit) - (2004 and Newer)

Have you switch apps one after another or tried at diffrent times? I would just use automatic, I see you have a 07 and I have used the app on a 08 and it worked so there shouldn't be a problem. Also it maybe the adapter, I have used a generic obd adapter before and it connected to generic setting in cgp but my new one doesn't so it may be an adapter problem as well

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Have you switch apps one after another or tried at diffrent times? I would just use automatic, I see you have a 07 and I have used the app on a 08 and it worked so there shouldn't be a problem. Also it maybe the adapter, I have used a generic obd adapter before and it connected to generic setting in cgp but my new one doesn't so it may be an adapter problem as well

I have tried multiple apps one after another and with extended amount of time in between.

Unfortunately, you might be right. My BAFX unit works with TorquePro and Dash Command, but never CGP.

I get this same error message from CGP whether the protocol is set at automatic or J1850 VPW (GM specific).
Car Gauge Pro Error.png

Another strange issue I noticed with my TorquePro app is the inaccurate readings from active PID sensors. Cylinder head temp 18,490°F, miss fires on cylinders 7 and 8 and not to mention the thousands of misfires on the other cylinders, engine oil temp 34°F (after running for 45min). There are a lot more inaccurate readings, but just a couple for example.
TorquePro Active Sensors.png

Maybe I should just buy another ELM327 and give it a shot. I emailed the developers of both apps to see if I can get some answers.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have the crazy misfire count too, sometimes my transmission temp shows up at something like 87 degrees constantly, and never moves, and I have to restart Torque for it to fix itself. Haven't looked for any other oddities.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
I have tried multiple apps one after another and with extended amount of time in between.

Unfortunately, you might be right. My BAFX unit works with TorquePro and Dash Command, but never CGP.

I get this same error message from CGP whether the protocol is set at automatic or J1850 VPW (GM specific).
View attachment 74405

Another strange issue I noticed with my TorquePro app is the inaccurate readings from active PID sensors. Cylinder head temp 18,490°F, miss fires on cylinders 7 and 8 and not to mention the thousands of misfires on the other cylinders, engine oil temp 34°F (after running for 45min). There are a lot more inaccurate readings, but just a couple for example.
View attachment 74406

Maybe I should just buy another ELM327 and give it a shot. I emailed the developers of both apps to see if I can get some answers.

I have the same problem with torque too so it's nothing specific, also I would definitely try another elm327 module since the app is known to work.

I've had this happen to me with a app called piston it would never connect no matter what, it only connected once when it was pairing and the car was off and then I turned the car on and some how it connected.

I would buy one from Amazon since you get 2 day shipping and if it doesn't work you can return it for free

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have the crazy misfire count too, sometimes my transmission temp shows up at something like 87 degrees constantly, and never moves, and I have to restart Torque for it to fix itself. Haven't looked for any other oddities.

My trans temps does the same. Never moves from 75.2*F. Coolant temp and air intake temp seem to still be accurate, everything else is off the wall.

I have the same problem with torque too so it's nothing specific, also I would definitely try another elm327 module since the app is known to work.

I've had this happen to me with a app called piston it would never connect no matter what, it only connected once when it was pairing and the car was off and then I turned the car on and some how it connected.

I would buy one from Amazon since you get 2 day shipping and if it doesn't work you can return it for free

Seems my only choice at the moment is to try another ELM327. The BAFX ELM327 I currently have was ordered from Amazon as well. This is my current ELM327.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/?tag=gmtnation-20

If you get one like this one on Amazon, I know it works well with both apps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQ57BE8/?tag=gmtnation-20

That one is cheap enough and worth a shot. Looks very similar to what I have now. I have also seen many of the OBDII apps reference the OBDLink LX or MX ELM327, but those range from $60 to $80. http://www.obdlink.com/mxbt/

I think the price is high because along with the ELM327, it comes with an OBDLink app as well.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I finally got an email back from one of the developers for Car Gauge Pro. I had to enable the debug log in preferences so I could save files that he could review. Apparently my BAFX unit takes a long time to communicate which was causing the timeout issue. I had to go into device options (advance user) and set the ATST Value to 15. Once I set this value to 15, I was able to connect with Car Gauge Pro.

The developer also sent me a BETA copy of an app called Car Diagnostics Pro. Its looks similar to CGP, but the GUI looks much better and it is in color instead of black/white. I tried to look this app up on the Play Store, but it is not listed. I did find that Amazon sells Car Diagnostic Pro for $9.

My BAFX unit works for all the apps now, but still have not heard back from the developers of TorquePro on why there are so many sensors giving inaccurate readings and sensors giving readings that should not exist.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Any possibility you could share CDP that they sent you? :cool:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe it's only the most recent version of torque? The version in my s3 has yet to glitch out on me. I also have the bafx adapter.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Hey guys. A friend of mine gave me an Samsung Galaxy S3 so I was going to purchase a Bluetooth ELM327 and then download CGP. Question though. There is a CGP for like $9 or a CGP Lite for free.

Anyone know what the major differences are? It's only $10 but if I can get what I need from the Lite version, I can use that one for free.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online