Torque "like" app for iOS?

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I've seen some posts for the Torque app for Android. I've been looking for a similar app for iOS and was wondering if anyone has had experience with any and would you recommend or not recommend any. Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched the site and didn't dee anything.
Thanks!
John

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
There are a couple out there but I never tried them. I just ended up using my old phone and the torque app...not as a phone, just strictly for that. Be sure if you buy the elm327 thing off eBay or somewhere that it specifically says it will work with iphone, not all will, and mine does not.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
{tpc} said:
There are a couple out there but I never tried them. I just ended up using my old phone and the torque app...not as a phone, just strictly for that. Be sure if you buy the elm327 thing off eBay or somewhere that it specifically says it will work with iphone, not all will, and mine does not.

One bonus with a dedicated phone for scanning is you can afford to make a permanent or semi-permanent mount for it. :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Dash commander. Is an ODB scan app similar to torque. I tried it on Android and was not impressed, even with the 30 min full access trial. The app is also $10, and if you want custom PIDs they are $10 per vehicle.

One of my friends is dropping the IPhone after having one since release, while he has many reasons, Torque is a contributing factor. Of course you could also get a cheap android tablet to run it.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Of course you could also get a cheap android tablet to run it.

Now I've seen those aftermarket head units where the "faceplate" is actually a tablet, and you can pop it off there like you would a faceplate for security reasons, and it can still be used as a tablet. Anyone ever heard of setting up one of those (if the person is going with an aftermarket HU) to do Torque right there? Just a thought.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Now I've seen those aftermarket head units where the "faceplate" is actually a tablet, and you can pop it off there like you would a faceplate for security reasons, and it can still be used as a tablet. Anyone ever heard of setting up one of those (if the person is going with an aftermarket HU) to do Torque right there? Just a thought.

I haven't looked in a while, but the tablet head units were all made in China junk, terrible reviews and spotty Android porting. That may have changed recently.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I don't know about a program like torque for i-phone but I do know you have to have a elm327 WiFi if it should work at all.

:twocents:Buy a real phone and get torque :wink::wink::wink::wink::raspberry::thumbsup::tongue:

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
Harpo said:
:twocents:Buy a real phone and get torque :wink:

Since you made this Android vs. iPhone :hissyfit::rotfl:

I had a Samsung SIII and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (x2). I was going to mount one of those in my TB, but I got fed up with Android. I ended up trading my SIII and both tablets for an iPhone 5s and a iPad Mini w/Retina display. iPhone is more user friendly and (jail broken) just as customize-able as Android. What Apple does, that takes it leaps and bounds above Android, is the OS. iOS is fantastic in that everyone gets the new software at the same time. My Andoid was running 4.2.2, while 4.4 was already out. Android has to go through the creator, the phone manufacturer, then the carrier (all of who add crap I don't want or need) and then, MAYBE then, can I get it to my phone. I hear they are starting to come out with clean Android OS versions, but I have yet to see it in fruition. The one thing I wish Apple would do is install a dedicated GPS module that would work without a data connection. Then I could mount my iPad Mini in the TB and have everything I ever wanted or needed. I shall step down from my soapbox now...

As for the app, I don't have any experience with them, but Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis looks like it could be good. It's got 4.5 stars, but only 11 reviews. That's the one I would check out, if I was going to buy the ELM adapter.

Reactions: gta

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
hayes said:
Since you made this Android vs. iPhone :hissyfit::rotfl:

I had a Samsung SIII and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (x2). I was going to mount one of those in my TB, but I got fed up with Android. I ended up trading my SIII and both tablets for an iPhone 5s and a iPad Mini w/Retina display. iPhone is more user friendly and (jail broken) just as customize-able as Android. What Apple does, that takes it leaps and bounds above Android, is the OS. iOS is fantastic in that everyone gets the new software at the same time. My Andoid was running 4.2.2, while 4.4 was already out. Android has to go through the creator, the phone manufacturer, then the carrier (all of who add crap I don't want or need) and then, MAYBE then, can I get it to my phone. I hear they are starting to come out with clean Android OS versions, but I have yet to see it in fruition. The one thing I wish Apple would do is install a dedicated GPS module that would work without a data connection. Then I could mount my iPad Mini in the TB and have everything I ever wanted or needed. I shall step down from my soapbox now...

As for the app, I don't have any experience with them, but Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis looks like it could be good. It's got 4.5 stars, but only 11 reviews. That's the one I would check out, if I was going to buy the ELM adapter.

We have a few threads on the subject, and while I have my opinions I will leave the majority of that out of this thread.

It is hard to judge how good an app is when there are not many comparable apps to base it against.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
It is hard to judge how good an app is when there are not many comparable apps to base it against.

I hear you. Normally, I use this to be a jerk. In this case, I am using to to show the results I found. Click here and just start reading through the results. I found this searching through the links, and it recommends dash. I am checking that out now.

gta

Dec 18, 2014
jfkmk said:
I've seen some posts for the Torque app for Android. I've been looking for a similar app for iOS and was wondering if anyone has had experience with any and would you recommend or not recommend any. Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched the site and didn't dee anything.
Thanks!
John
I have tried a few of the apps, Engine Link is the best. You can build your own dash with it, really cool. The adapter i used is bluetooth low energy called LELink, got it from outdoor app site: http://www.outdoor-apps.com/enginelink.html

Escapepilot

Sep 21, 2014
hayes said:
The one thing I wish Apple would do is install a dedicated GPS module that would work without a data connection. Then I could mount my iPad Mini in the TB and have everything I ever wanted or needed. I shall step down from my soapbox now...
I'm not 100% sure I understand your desire. The Apples w/ GPS work in aircraft w/o having a data connection. It may have to do with the software though (needing highly detailed maps to be refreshed). I haven't tried it for automotive use, but for aviation use, there is a plug-in GPS receiver called "Bad Elf".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.