Torque Convertor Lock-up Strategy

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
Can somebody explain what the normal TC lock-up strategy is? Does it get to a certain gear and then an rpm, lock-up and stay locked until the brakes or tapped or unlock if you coast?

Mine seems strange....I'm not familiar with the platform, so I don't know what is normal.

This is for a 2005 TB 2wd 4.2L

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It unlocks when you let off the gas, or if the engine load gets enough that it needs to unlock to bring revs up (sort of like needing a downshift).

Usually requires a minimum transmission temperature to lock up also, so it won't do it when cold.

Reactions: 5xBuckman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lockup is controlled by the PCM with a PWM (pulse width modulation) so it happens very softly, kinda like slipping a clutch, so you don't really feel it. So if you tap the brakes to unlock it and then doesn't seem to be locking again, it probably is. You just don't feel it but can see it on the tach.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My TB (and a previous truck - GMC C1500 4.3) locks up at about 45 mph when it is in D(rive).

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I was actually just monitoring my TCC yesterday out of curiosity. I have PWM eliminated ("5th gear mod"), so your results may vary.
At operating temperature, it only completely locks up (0-3 rpm of slip) in 4th gear, which falls at exactly 45mph for me.
It will unlock when the brakes are tapped.
All other gears have it slipping from 50-700rpm under throttle.

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
I've been researching this TC lock-up....and I've come to the conclusion that my TB is not working correctly. At a neutral throttle, at say 55mph, the TC will randomly lock/unlock....rpm drops 200-300, then it will lock again. It seems the the fix is the Transgo SK 4L60E. It has 170k miles on it. When I changed the filter (upsetting as a I could have easily done the fix then) the fluid was nasty, but there was just a minor amount of fines on the magnet.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
Does sound like possible TCC flutter.

When you do that kit you'll need some other parts (seals etc) that don't come with it. Here's a combo kit that I usually buy and install in my 4L60E transmissions - comes with everything you need except the fluid and filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-4L65E...ash=item3f1166b953:g:WDkAAOSwpDdVeOGx&vxp=mtr

Sparky,

I ordered a version of that kit (minus the Corvette servo). Have you installed on of these? What should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks..Dan

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've installed 3 of them.

Just follow the directions carefully. You will not use all the parts that comes with the Transgo kit as it comes with varying springs and pieces depending on what your particular 4L60E has in it. Pay attention to the bolt lengths when putting it back together as mentioned in the directions.

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
I've installed 3 of them.

Just follow the directions carefully. You will not use all the parts that comes with the Transgo kit as it comes with varying springs and pieces depending on what your particular 4L60E has in it. Pay attention to the bolt lengths when putting it back together as mentioned in the directions.

There is one bag that has a larger diameter white spring in it, and some other parts, that has a hand written note on it. Something like "Use these if skipping the shift kit install?

Any insight on that?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Was that in the Transgo box, or with the other misc items?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Picture might be good. FWIW, mine didn't have any 'extra' instructions (handwritten or otherwise); I installed mine about a year ago, and probably had it stashed for 6mos or so before I put it in, to give you a time reference.

Personally, knowing what I know now about the stock 4L60s - I'd put this kit in whether I had an issue or not - Sparky does this - and he's never had a problem with any of them, post-install. If I ever buy another vehicle with a 4L60 (like an older 1/2 ton Silverado / Sierra) - I will do the same, for sure. Not terribly difficult, once you have one under your belt - I could probably do it in about 3/4 of a day now, taking my time and not being interrupted, and not breaking any pan bolts during disassembly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
So, I could use a bit of help on this shift kit install. I thought I was removing the boost valve...but, it was the TCC valve. I pulled out the retaining ring, then a washer with a hole, the an aluminum valve with a hole for a spring (which came out with the spool), but as I was ducking fluid another short steel piece dropped out. Now I'm at a loss as to the order it goes back together.

Ok, the Xtra part wasn'the from the tcc. There is a bore about the separator plate the has a short stepped steel valve ..just need to know what direction it fits in.

Mod edit: Please use the edit button if you need to add more info to your last post instead of posting consecutively within 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

5xBuckman

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Minneapolis
So, I figure it out and got it back together. The 1-2 shift is a bit more firm than I'd like but, the converter stays locked now rather than the flutter it had.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry was really busy all weekend, no pc set up at home right now, etc
Glad you got it together. Enjoy your happier transmission!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.