torque converter bolts

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
I am trying to take this transmission apart from the engine and I have never messed with the transmission where the are the torque converter bolts. I took the access cover off and still dont know where to look

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you at the very least have a Haynes manual? Or a copy of the service manuals downloaded from the thread here: Need service manuals? Get them here!

What are you trying to do? Change a transmission without having done it before, or rebuild it? If so, why?

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Well I was pulling the engine to put a new one in. My ex husband was supposed to help me he took everything apart then left me hanging. I have worked on engines and I will never learn if i let someone else do it and yes I have a haynes manual but it bounces back and forth. Anyways I tried to get a manual off there its downloading now.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
You can spin the crankshaft by using a big ratchet/socket on the crank pulley bolt. This will allow the tc bolts to be lined up with the access hole. It's easier if you have an assistant turning the crank bolt while you watch for the bolts to come around.

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
MAY03LT said:
You can spin the crankshaft by using a big ratchet/socket on the crank pulley bolt. This will allow the tc bolts to be lined up with the access hole. It's easier if you have an assistant turning the crank bolt while you watch for the bolts to come around.

So the whole problem is he said he disconnected everything then he just left it there. He told me all I had to do was disconnect the tranny crossmember which I done and the shift cable which I done. I went to pull it out and it wouldnt move. And I have the problem of not knowing what he disconnected and didnt. So I have went through trying to find the problem and apparently he was planning on taking the engine and tranny all out in one piece. I want to disconnect the transmission and leave it in. So tell me are there more than two motor mounts and what do I need to do to finish taking it out? Also I had someone turn the crankshaft and when it comes around you cant see the head of the nut. I am going to take a flashlight and check again to be sure.

And this jerk done this just because he didnt want to take the time cause he had to see his new gf and I cant afford to put it in the shop. But I would rather learn how to do it myself that way I dont need anyone to do it for me.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
first off i assume this is an I6, which i'm not as familiar with at least as far as removing but i ASSuME you get to the TC bolts the same as the V8, take off the starter and look at the flexplate through that hole. should see the bolts about 1" off of the teeth

back in the old days before interchangeable bellhousings you could just take the bottom cover off the trans, easy peasy. modular design has really made it a pain in the ass

you're sure the bellhousing bolts are out? because you should be able to at least separate it a hair with the tc still bolted to the engine. if the bellhousing bolts are out, the tc is unbolted, and the motor mounts are unbolted (theres only 2, and one trans mount that you're not going to touch), just start yanking _SLOWLY_ and watch for stuff you forgot (fuel line(s), EVAP, heater hoses, AC, power steering, harness plugs (lots of harness plugs). it will eventually come out.

getting it back in and running is another matter lol take pics if you need to before you start pulling plugs off stuff

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
jimmyjam said:
first off i assume this is an I6, which i'm not as familiar with at least as far as removing but i ASSuME you get to the TC bolts the same as the V8, take off the starter and look at the flexplate through that hole. should see the bolts about 1" off of the teeth

back in the old days before interchangeable bellhousings you could just take the bottom cover off the trans, easy peasy. modular design has really made it a pain in the ass

you're sure the bellhousing bolts are out? because you should be able to at least separate it a hair with the tc still bolted to the engine. if the bellhousing bolts are out, the tc is unbolted, and the motor mounts are unbolted (theres only 2, and one trans mount that you're not going to touch), just start yanking _SLOWLY_ and watch for stuff you forgot (fuel line(s), EVAP, heater hoses, AC, power steering, harness plugs (lots of harness plugs). it will eventually come out.

getting it back in and running is another matter lol take pics if you need to before you start pulling plugs off stuff

Bad part is he already took all that out. I have to try to guess at everything. plugs and all. I have taken engines apart changed stARTERS AND ALTERNATORS RADIATORS BUT NEVER ACTUALLY REMOVED AN ENGINE. DONT GET ME WRONG IM UP FOR THE CHALLENGE BUT I WOULD HAVE RATHER STARTED FROM SCRATCH MYSELF.ok im going to go take the starter off now. Go look at my garage and u will see he has completely taken the front of the truck apart.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If he was going to pull the engine and trans as one unit, he probably did not remove the bell housing bolts.

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
If he was going to pull the engine and trans as one unit, he probably did not remove the bell housing bolts.

No he didnt. I got the rear drive train axle out and all disconnected I am fixing to take the bell housing bolts out. I am hoping that I can access the torque converter bolts then if I pull it out just a hair because I cant get to the starter to get it through there and when i look through the access panel on the bell housing i can only see like the end stud there is no nut. Im kind of wondering why

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Since I have the drive train and all disconnected the only thing left is the bell housing and motor could I take it out in one piece?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Babas11911 said:
Since I have the drive train and all disconnected the only thing left is the bell housing and motor could I take it out in one piece?

I believe you can, IF you have a strong enough hoist.

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:

Well I have tried everything to get this top bolt out of the bellhousing and even lowering the tranny it wont break any thoughts?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online