Torque app

Canary2323

Original poster
Member
Mar 31, 2012
346
Hey just wondering if anyone uses the torque app and their thoughts if so, also where and which connecter did you buy.
 

Grimor

Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
Canary2323 said:
Hey just wondering if anyone uses the torque app and their thoughts if so, also where and which connecter did you buy.

I do, I like it. I got one of the cheap china reader
ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Wireless Transceiver Dongle - Blue - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I couldn't connect to it with my phone in any vehicle. (can pair but no data with torque) but a friend can use the same one just fine in any vehicle. I'm using his more expensive but older reader and it works fine. When you use torque on a TB, make sure you load the extra sensors.
 

bobdec

Member
Apr 19, 2013
233
  • Like
Reactions: rcam81

c bausch

Member
Jan 13, 2012
183
Sorry for the hijack does anyone use there iPhone with a obd 2 bluetooth scanner adapter?
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
c bausch said:
Sorry for the hijack does anyone use there iPhone with a obd 2 bluetooth scanner adapter?

The app to do so is expensive $50 iirc. I think it has also been discussed in the past, that the elm 327 donglea do not work with the iPhone. This may have changed.
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
c bausch said:
Sorry for the hijack does anyone use there iPhone with a obd 2 bluetooth scanner adapter?

Not many do because the Torque App is Android only. The iOS alternatives like Dash Command are all pretty pricey at $50 or more. They also require Wifi enabled OBD2, they won't work over bluetooth. At least on a non-jailbroken phone.
 

Conner299

Member
Jan 16, 2013
279
CdnGMan said:
Sounds like reason enough to grab an inexpensive Android phone... :undecided:

Or a tablet... For the larger screen display... My bro-in-law and I have the app for our phones, then he got a tablet. The difference is WOW.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JPutnam

Robbabob

Member
Dec 10, 2012
1,096
CdnGMan said:
Sounds like reason enough to grab an inexpensive Android phone... :undecided:

I suppose you can look at it that way, or just spend the $50 and use the iPhone platform you are used to.

Back to the topic:
Personally, I had to use the $25 Amazon unit for my Android as the TB connected but didn't have data; as pointed out above. My Dodge was fine with the cheap one, but works with the higher priced one, too.
 

Daryl NHT

Member
May 13, 2013
18
I have the app, but no cord yet. Looks like it'll be a good app once I get into using it some.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
Robbabob said:
I suppose you can look at it that way, or just spend the $50 and use the iPhone platform you are used to.

Back to the topic:
Personally, I had to use the $25 Amazon unit for my Android as the TB connected but didn't have data; as pointed out above. My Dodge was fine with the cheap one, but works with the higher priced one, too.

I have seen that the ELM327's are not all manufactured the same. I got a cheap one off Amazon, under $20, and it has worked flawlessly on my truck, the Jetta, most of my friends cars too. I have friends who have bought them with no luck on their personal vehicles.
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
  • Like
Reactions: sawicksted

AtlWrk

Member
Dec 6, 2011
674
blazinlow89 said:
I have seen that the ELM327's are not all manufactured the same. I got a cheap one off Amazon, under $20, and it has worked flawlessly on my truck, the Jetta, most of my friends cars too. I have friends who have bought them with no luck on their personal vehicles.

:iagree: I got a cheapo dealextreme adapter a few years ago mainly because the price (I could afford to throw away $15 if it ended up being a dud) and the size (I intended on leaving it in indefinitely--bad idea btw). Fortunately mine worked as advertised although the PID read speed was less than stellar. I've used it in a few GM vehicles but I haven't tried any non-VPW protocol cars.

I recently picked up the BAFX unit mentioned above and the PID reads/sec was much higher than my cheapo unit. It felt solid and performed well so I would recommend it--especially for the price.

I wouldn't let size sway you one way or the other--they're really less obtrusive under the dash than you would think.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
Black LT said:
Just curious as to why that opinion?
I don't normally leave mine in - but I read some do.

Mine has been in the obd2 port since purchase. Over 2 years now. If it is removed, then it is for diagnoses of other vehicles. Never had any effects on my vehicle
 

AtlWrk

Member
Dec 6, 2011
674
Black LT said:
Just curious as to why that opinion?
I don't normally leave mine in - but I read some do.

Eh, it may be misplaced blame but I left mine in while travelling for two weeks and came home to a dead battery (new). I've also left it in a few days at a time with no trouble at all so who knows. It wouldn't really take much to drain a battery over 14 days.
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
AtlWrk said:
Eh, it may be misplaced blame but I left mine in while travelling for two weeks and came home to a dead battery (new). I've also left it in a few days at a time with no trouble at all so who knows. It wouldn't really take much to drain a battery over 14 days.

I drive my vehicle rarely, maybe once every two weeks, so it sits a lot. Unknown to me I had the voltage regulator go out on me so the alternator wasn't charging the battery. While the OBD2 scanner wasn't the cause of this the drain did mean that the battery was flat all that much faster. I don't plug mine in anymore unless I'm on a long trip or will be driving successive days.

The OBD2 power is always on, just like the power ports. On a vehicle with a properly functioning charging system and a healthy battery that will see weekly use it's really not an issue just like leaving a GPS or mobile phone charger plugged in for a couple days is unlikely to drain a battery beyond the point where it will have enough cranking amps to start up. To me it's really only situations where something else is already wrong that it could contribute to the problem.
 

07Denali

Member
Feb 28, 2013
71
I run the torque app and a bluetooth obdII adapter and all is well and great but I cant get the transmission temp? are you guys able to? its on my 2007 gmc denali. thanks
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
07Denali said:
I run the torque app and a bluetooth obdII adapter and all is well and great but I cant get the transmission temp? are you guys able to? its on my 2007 gmc denali. thanks

Settings -> manage extra PIDs/sensors -> press menu after the screen prompts you to -> add predefined set -> Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall -> a little under half way down it says transmission fluid temp (GM method 1 or 2).

It took a couple minutes for my phone and the dongle to get it straight but it worked. This is of course assuming the Denali has the sensor, I would think so but I could be wrong.
 

Showtyme

Member
Nov 26, 2012
150
I did all of that with mine and tranny temp never did read. I thought all years had the sensor but maybe not. I also plugged into my 2010 express work van and couldnt read tranny temp on it either. I wasnt sure what the deal was so i quit trying.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
Showtyme said:
I did all of that with mine and tranny temp never did read. I thought all years had the sensor but maybe not. I also plugged into my 2010 express work van and couldnt read tranny temp on it either. I wasnt sure what the deal was so i quit trying.

Try switching the method, but make sure after it takes effect you exit the app and restart it. It took me a few tries but it finally worked.
 

Showtyme

Member
Nov 26, 2012
150
blazinlow89 said:
Try switching the method, but make sure after it takes effect you exit the app and restart it. It took me a few tries but it finally worked.

If i get a chance this weekend ill play with it some more. Thanx for the tip.
 

fireman32_14

Member
Feb 4, 2013
11
is there any app i can get for the iphone that will tell me tranny fluid temp? i have a wifi adapter btw, just need to know what app to get
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
fireman32_14 said:
is there any app i can get for the iphone that will tell me tranny fluid temp? i have a wifi adapter btw, just need to know what app to get

Dash commander
REV
DashBoss

There seems to be a few others. After helping my step grandfather look for an app I realized more why I dislike Apple and the ios system. From what I have read none the apps except DashBoss are even close.
 

yodaddy4200

Member
Feb 3, 2013
350
Hooked up the elm 327 to my wife's Subaru we got St. Pattys day for the first time yesterday.

Went to the part store to get a radiator hose for my 86 Toyota pickup. Came out of the store and had a CEL U0073 Generic code. Stabilitrack symbol came on and the brake light flashed.

Took the car to dealer and they haven't found anything.

Did a quick Google search and the first three stories I found sounded pretty Much the same.

Every person read the code with the ELM327. I have a feeling it was the cause... car was a 2011 Subaru legacy 2.5i...

I won't be running the codes on that car iguess. Glad we got the extended warranty.
 

blazinlow89

Member
Jan 25, 2012
2,088
If it does work with the protocol that Subaru uses then you should be fine reading codes, just omit the one that the stabilitrack throws up. With the Jetta having the VAGCOM system, I have had some issues with it reading. I used it a few times, but not for extended periods so it always appeared to work flawlessly. Now it works when it wants. Problem was solved with a VAGCOM compatible scanner.
 

bobdec

Member
Apr 19, 2013
233
Except for using it on my wife's car a couple of times, my adapter has been plugged in since I purchased it a year ago, no problems. I like to use it to look at tranny temp every so often while on the road. It would take months for a 10 Ma current draw to drain a good battery. The PCM, radio, and other modules draw more current.
I did make a dumb mistake once and did a DTC reset while the engine was running. It screwed up some of the PCM operations. Gauges all wend dead, traction, security, check gauges and SES indicators all came on. The AC stopped blowing cold air. So I turned ignition off to reset things and then it would not start (no starter crank). Figured I try a PCM reboot, so I pulled the two PCM fuses in the under hood box, waited a couple on mins, re-installed them and everything was back to normal.
As an afterthought I then read the warning on Torque App that resetting DTC's with engine running could cause problems on some vehicles..
One good thing I learned that a half dead PCM will cause weird dash indicator and gauge problems. Have see the results in other threads that have had electrical, grounding or serial bus problems..
 

sawicksted

Member
Dec 7, 2011
366
bobdec said:
Except for using it on my wife's car a couple of times, my adapter has been plugged in since I purchased it a year ago, no problems. I like to use it to look at tranny temp every so often while on the road. It would take months for a 10 Ma current draw to drain a good battery. The PCM, radio, and other modules draw more current.
I did make a dumb mistake once and did a DTC reset while the engine was running. It screwed up some of the PCM operations. Gauges all wend dead, traction, security, check gauges and SES indicators all came on. The AC stopped blowing cold air. So I turned ignition off to reset things and then it would not start (no starter crank). Figured I try a PCM reboot, so I pulled the two PCM fuses in the under hood box, waited a couple on mins, re-installed them and everything was back to normal.
As an afterthought I then read the warning on Torque App that resetting DTC's with engine running could cause problems on some vehicles..
One good thing I learned that a half dead PCM will cause weird dash indicator and gauge problems. Have see the results in other threads that have had electrical, grounding or serial bus problems..
So is that problem a "Torque" scan issue? I use a canscan OBDII reader and reset the DTC and don't have any problems? My other car will only let you clear the DTC's when the engine is not running( Chrysler seabring ) but the TB does it fine while running.
Just curious.
 

bobdec

Member
Apr 19, 2013
233
I may have to test it when at home.. Never again on the road... I was at Cades Cove, Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains, no cell coverage and about 25 miles and an hour drive through mountain passes from civilization. Had me worried for a while. Started the DTC reset when stopped and engine idling. The dash lights came on, every gauge shut off and the Torque App said could no longer communication with the PCM. Engine was still running. My guess was the PCM software got screwed up, but still kept the critical routines going. Maybe my bluetooth/Aldl adapter went south and send some crap commands to the PCM,whatever it was it messed up a lot more than the ALDL interface. Second dumb thing was to turn off the key.. ignition off-on did not fix it, then it would not pick the starter solenoid, Torque would not connect to read any codes. Luckily a PCM re-boot cleared it up..
 

AtlWrk

Member
Dec 6, 2011
674
Good to know. I've done on-the-fly code clears (pesky evap code) many times without an issue but maybe it's not such a great idea. It must be the way Torque does the reset. The PCM just needs a single command so why does it take 30 seconds and a progress "%" from the app? :undecided:

EDIT: The app has to handle all makes/models so it's probably dumping all the possible reset commands...some of which may have unintended consequences for OUR pcm. Just guessing.
 

sawicksted

Member
Dec 7, 2011
366
MDBT said:
This is the one that I am using. Works great with my GMT and have also had success using it to read codes on other GM vehicles.

Excelvan ELM327 v1.5 Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter Torque Android : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have seen the smaller versions of these but honestly once it's plugged in I never notice the size nor does it interfere with my driving position. In other vehicles this may not be the case though.
Bought this one.....won't connect to my phone. Could it be that my phone is too old???? The phone has Blue tooth and is a Samsung Galaxy S .......the first one!!...and it works great for me...until now. I see a red light on the obdii unit but my phone wouldn't connect.
Also I was using the free APP so....not sure if that's the problem either. I just didn't want to pay for the real app until I knew if the OBDII unit worked.

Any thoughts?
 

sawicksted

Member
Dec 7, 2011
366
Well...... Got the app to work eventually.

Had to uninstall, re-install the app...Connect and disconnect the bluetooth a couple of times. Now it works.
looks like it could be a cool app...at least there is lots of info to give you in an easy to display method.

Glad I got it to work. Installed the app on my wife's phone too....Her's is a lot newer than mine so it worked perfectly after instillation.

Now I will download the full app and pay the extra.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dmanns67

Hatchet

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,405
Ok curiousness. Can the troque app test on the state emissions tests? Am i just blind or do they not do that?
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,660
Ottawa, ON
It can give the I/M Readiness for each test, in other words, says that a specific test has been run and passed. There is a page in the default setup that shows all the tests and results. So if your state uses the plug in type of test, this should tell you if you would pass or fail.
 

Hatchet

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,405
I just went to the torque forums after i posted this and saw that. I will try that when i get home.

They plug in OBD2 and get a pass or fail. One of the items is MIL. o2 sensors. I never really looked at the paper they give me before.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,483
Posts
639,847
Members
18,715
Latest member
ozzyextlt

Members Online