Top Secret Project 2

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
So as you already know after the successes of my first top secret project, the wireless car charging mod, I couldn’t stop there. Now I have removed the charger from my car and have shifted it to my house, cause it would become obsolete with my new project. I still love wireless technology but I also love function over form.

This has been an idea I've had for a long time and I am really happy I could finally execute. This is all due to you guys over here motivating me to think outside the box!

First I would like to explain what the project is based off of. Continuum is a feature first introduced in 2015 for Windows Mobile devices. So when I connect my phone to a USB Type C docking station I am able to run a full Windows 'like' experience where apps scale to fit the bigger screen etc. etc. I really love this feature and use it all the time at home on my desk with a screen.

I have always wondered if I could bring this concept to my TB. Many other Windows Mobile enthusiasts have also experimented with the idea with mixed results.

These were good but didn’t work out for me, as having to use Continuum with a touch screen is way more effective. So I started out with buying a 7 inch Raspberry Pi touch screen. It has HDMI for input and touch output is via a Micro USB cable. Perfect. I bought a small USB Type C dock which wouldn’t take up too much space and viola we are good to go.

DSC_0143-640x480.JPG

DSC_0144-640x480.JPG

DSC_0145-640x480.JPG

DSC_0146-640x480.JPG

DSC_0147-640x480.JPG

DSC_0148-640x480.JPG

DSC_0149-640x480.JPG

With that out of the way and a successful test run, now its time to mount the screen. I was thinking of mounting it on top of the radio while leaving some space between the radio head unit and the screen to allow me to change the volume, if ever so slightly. Phones audio will be connected through Bluetooth as it currently is, hence removing the radio to replace it with the screen only is not a viable option in my opinion.

And here is where I'd like to see what ideas you guys have for mounting the screen. I am building a nice frame for it and this I want to mount on top of the radio head unit as mentioned. I was originally thinking about getting some L brackets around four corners of the radio with a small piece on the front to mount the screen on it. Let me know what you guys think. :2thumbsup::Lager Louts:

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Do you only use the head unit for audio amplification then? Or, do you use it for AM/FM/CD as well?

If you use it only for the audio amp part, can you get the audio stream via the HDMI? If so, could you just simply remove the head unit, mount the screen in the dash, and put a simple audio amplifier in there and place the volume knob somewhere easily accessible next to the screen, or maybe where the blank is where the 4x4 switch would have gone?

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I only use it for audio only specifically I have a Bluetooth adapter connected to an aux cable connected to the tape. I really don't want to take the radio out as it controls the alarms and chimes etc. So I was thinking of mounting the screen above the head unit that way I have access to the volume knob and I don't have to remove the radio

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
This would be very similar to me putting a tablet in my Colorado. What I did was ditch my radio got a mini 4 channel amp, interface for an aftermarket stereo (keep rap and chime), Bluetooth receiver, and EQ to control volume. EQ could be substituted by just an RCA based volume knob. I think something similar would be the cleanest way to do it and result in a better look installed.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depending on what you want, maybe an Android double DIN head unit would work and easier to do. I have two and love them.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Continuation:

Home/Start Screen

DSC_0216-640x480.JPG

Music app

DSC_0220-640x480.JPG

DSC_0221-640x480.JPG

Navigation app

DSC_0219-640x480.JPG

OBDII scanner app

DSC_0227-640x480.JPG

Car management app

DSC_0230-640x480.JPG

Bluetooth audio controls

DSC_0235-640x480.JPG

The black bar is due to resolution issue, but it's not a deal breaker!

DSC_0218_Ink_LI-640x480.jpg

I'm trying to get the video uploaded on YouTube, will post the link here as soon as it's done. Till then lemme know what you guys think

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cool! Better fix that misfire :biggrin:

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I used the BOSE adapter as it had good reviews especially with sound quality. I can confirm that the quality of audio does not suffer negatively when using this. As is right now I'm debating putting in back a tablet, my only obstacle is placement of my EQ. I linked everything i used below with the exception of the knob. Of course you can go with cheaper items but with these I had great sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTUEDMY/?tag=gmtnation-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VVYL46/?tag=gmtnation-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7G1TW2/?tag=gmtnation-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J226O/?tag=gmtnation-20

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
@dna59 I am guessing to install the Bluetooth adapter I would have to install the EQ and amplifier in my car as well. I was thinking of a module I saw on the internet sometime ago which was basically an adapter that plugged into the wiring harness going to the radio, making it Bluetooth compatible without the need of the radio. What's your setup by the way? I'm curious now. Do you have it somewhere on the site? Thanks

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I personally would ditch the factory radio. A cheaper way but still good would be to use a multimedia player that has Bluetooth capabilities...aka a head unit without a CD player. They're are about half the size of a CD player which would make it easier to have behind your screen. This way there would be no need for an amp or EQ and they aren't expensive. I've attached a pic of the setup I had in my Colorado. I was using a 1st Gen Nexus 7. I had a similar setup on my Mazda B3000 w/out the EQ. Right now in the Envoy I'm running a Pioneer AppRadio with a Android stick.
IMG_20160304_132744.jpg
IMG_20161130_064238.jpg
IMG_20160710_173125.jpg

Last edited:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I personally would ditch the factory radio. A cheaper way but still good would be to use a multimedia player that has Bluetooth capabilities...aka a head unit without a CD player. They're are about half the size of a CD player which would make it easier to have behind your screen. This way there would be no need for an amp or EQ and they aren't expensive. I've attached a pic of the setup I had in my Colorado. I was using a 1st Gen Nexus 7. I had a similar setup on my Mazda B3000 w/out the EQ. Right now in the Envoy I'm running a Pioneer AppRadio with a Android stick.
View attachment 82067
View attachment 82068
View attachment 82069
What do you mean "with an Android stick"? Does the Pioneer not run Android?

I figured it out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MiniPCs/comments/3l73r1/looking_for_the_best_android_stick_or_similar_usb/

Last edited:

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
@jsheahawk that's exactly what I'm using, ARU. This h/u was well before Android auto became an option. However using it in the stock form was very limited so that's where ARU comes in. I used to use it with my Nexus 4 and then 5 but it's annoying having to connect and disconnect a phone since I couldn't leave it in the vehicle or else the heat would destroy the battery. Which actually happened to Nexus 4. So the Android stick was the perfect solution. I leave it on constant power that way no need to reboot Everytime.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
@jsheahawk that's exactly what I'm using, ARU. This h/u was well before Android auto became an option. However using it in the stock form was very limited so that's where ARU comes in. I used to use it with my Nexus 4 and then 5 but it's annoying having to connect and disconnect a phone since I couldn't leave it in the vehicle or else the heat would destroy the battery. Which actually happened to Nexus 4. So the Android stick was the perfect solution. I leave it on constant power that way no need to reboot Everytime.
Hmmmm. Maybe one day. :2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.