Tool Talk

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Ever since I used one of these creepers, I've always liked them. Have yet to get one as using it on something like our platform would require the vehicle to be well in the air, but they roll SMOOTH. Also have yet to get a creeper as I'm still young and can wiggle under there, did my oil change and filter without even jacking it up. :biggrin:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
IllogicTC said:
Ever since I used one of these creepers, I've always liked them. Have yet to get one as using it on something like our platform would require the vehicle to be well in the air, but they roll SMOOTH. Also have yet to get a creeper as I'm still young and can wiggle under there, did my oil change and filter without even jacking it up. :biggrin:
I have used several different types of creepers, though not this type. I've hated them all, if they're not caught in a crack or some other obstacle they are fowled in an electrical cord or anything else on the ground, tools like to play tricks and hide under the creeper too.
I'm old and still find that if I shimmy on cardboard I have less problems, more room and it catches drips and spills too...just sayin' Mike.

Reactions: Schurkey

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
northcreek said:
I have used several different types of creepers, though not this type. I've hated them all, if they're not caught in a crack or some other obstacle they are fowled in an electrical cord or anything else on the ground, tools like to play tricks and hide under the creeper too.
I'm old and still find that if I shimmy on cardboard I have less problems, more room and it catches drips and spills too...just sayin' Mike.
The creeper I linked to has gigantic wheels on it. That's where there are potentially clearance issues, but I suppose it's about trade-offs. Never got stuck in the dirt, cracks, grime, etc. underneath general product conveyor. One reviewer on there says he's seen a guy run clear over tools without even noticing.

Reactions: northcreek

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As usual, when I'm not working on something, I'm poking around the internet for mods/tools/toys. With the recent battery issue, and some other research I did, I find myself looking at clamp meters. I'm eyeballing a couple of $30 Ebay models, making sure they read DC amps. Figured that would come in handy for ever needing to check for a parasitic draw, or see how much is getting pulled from a jump starter. :undecided:

Anybody have any input one way or the other on these? My $5 HF meter is working fine (for now), the last one lasted me about a year before dying when it got knocked off a table. :hopeless:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Strongly considering it. I've always been curious about amperage loads under different conditions, and in different places. Having a meter with an inductive loop would make it a lot easier to satisfy random questions that pop into my head without having to un/rewire stuff.
  • "How much is my amp pulling at this volume? or this volume?"
  • "How much is the rear fuse block pulling? Is it anywhere near the 125A the megafuse is rated for?"
  • "What are the startup spikes and running currents for my HID ballasts?"
Stuff like that. I was looking at micro starters last week, and a guy doing a video review on some had one of these to show how much current they were providing to a vehicle with a dead or low charge battery. Gave me one of those "I need THAT!" moments. :deal:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
This is what I use Fieldpiece at work, home and when I need it on the cars/truck. Its little cheaper then a fluke but does the job just aswell. I honestly think these tools are only as good as the person using them. If you know you know type deal. uploadfromtaptalk1443456233757.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Good stuff guys. I could use my existing meter for parasitic drain purposes, although I wish I had some clamping leads for it. Might have to poke around the net and see if there's anything that can be substituted and fit the cheap meter.

In other news, finally broke out the new soldering station to play with it for a bit. Had to replace an LED in my headlight switch. It's got the hot air station as part of it too, so I messed with that. Gonna need to practice, tried to remove and replace an SMD LED on a PCB and while it worked, I melted some of the LED's casing. Oops! :duh: It still lights up, though I wonder how much I shortened it's life in the process... :worried:

20150928_204100.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:yes: It's pretty sweet. I've had my eye on a few models for a while, this one popped up with a bunch of extra soldering tips, and 3 different sized air nozzles, so I jumped on it.

It will take some time to find the balance between amount of heat, nozzle size, and distance to hold from the pieces working to get it right. May end up ordering some dirt cheap SMD stuff for practicing. I like one of the safety features, you can't power on the air gun, unless it's seated in the cradle first. Good idea!

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wow, I was expecting it to be no less than $200 lol. That's a great price.

But I could never justify the hot air attachment so I'd be better off getting a normal solder station. I'm currently using a super cheap eBay soldering iron. Works pretty good but... There's better.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I never thought I'd ever need/want to use hot air either, until I tried soldering a bunch of SMD stuff with my iron. PIA for real!! Then I saw a YT video, I was looking for tips, and a guy used some solder paste on the PCB, placed the components, and hit them with some hot air. I was sold from how quick and easy that was.

Since I don't have any solder paste, and that stuff has a shelf life, I'll settle for just tinning the PCB pads with the iron, and then reflowing the solder with the hot air afterwards. (unless that results in an epic FAIL) then I'll come up with a plan C.

Reactions: Mounce

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This is the one I bought a few years ago, when I realized just how crappy the radio shack starter iron I first bought, really was. It served me well for everything, I also bought a set of replacement tips of different shapes to go with it. The chisel tip is my favorite. :twocents:

Edit: Granted it's variable temp, and not fixed like you wanted...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Reason I said fixed temp was because I'll rarely have it set up to use it's little base and everything and half of the time I'm at someone else's house soldering on their vehicle so the little control box would be inconvenient.

When I posted I had forgotten that they make some without the control box that still have temp control via a pot on the handle. I'm open to that, was just looking for something portable and versatile.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This thread makes me want to throw out as much money as the mod thread.... can't not have tools.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm loving my new toy chest. It's mobile, water proof and rugged. Can't wait to go home after I'm done with the laundry to start cleaning up my toys and putting them in there.

At the bottom there you can see my head lights that I've been trying to get at but kinda got put on the back burner for now.

Attachments

• 20151016_113025.jpg
    20151016_113025.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 20

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm loving my new toy chest. It's mobile, water proof and rugged. Can't wait to go home after I'm done with the laundry to start cleaning up my toys and putting them in there.

Pretty sweet, when I get settled into a place for good, I'll start amassing some better (bigger) tools, and would like some nice chests for storage. Then the little tool box I have now can be kept in the truck with some bare essentials. :yes:

At the bottom there you can see my head lights that I've been trying to get at but kinda got put on the back burner for now.

:ugh: I know ALL about headlights getting put on the back burner :redface: :hopeless:

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
How many pieces is that chest. Looks like something that could be used in and out of the rig so it would be awful handy.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
How many pieces is that chest. Looks like something that could be used in and out of the rig so it would be awful handy.

It's a bit expensive but worth it the base with wheels is 59 to start you off. The second tier is 39 and the top 2 are 29 a piece. In my case it's worth it cause I live in a one bedroom semi basement apartment. So I'm going to store it outside the backdoor. Its fully water proof so if another super storm Sandy comes by it will be fine out there.

It's a bit heavy know that I put all my stuff in there but I don't plan to move it around much I can easily remote compartment in need to get a job do and leave the unnecessary stuff behind.

Reactions: Redbeard

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Picked myself up a mini grease gun from auto zone yesterday. I kinda got tired of lugging around the big one I have at work to my house every few month's so I figured why not just get my own. the size is great i can fit it in my new toy chest.

Attachments

• 20151107_141403.jpg
    20151107_141403.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 5

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Random idea popped into my head, that made me look into tap & die sets. Don't have an immediate need for them, although for making the custom mounts for my (still) unfinished retrofit, being able to make tapped brackets was great.

The amount of money I spent on single components in local stores to make 1 size makes me feel like a :dunce: Checked the websites for a few sets that could be picked up locally, too much loot, for how little they'd be used. These 2 might be possibilities though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TAP-AND...c917e97a3:g:7JQAAOSwrklVUhtG&tag=gmtnation-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-80pc-Ta...pM&item=291589684148&vxp=mtr&tag=gmtnation-20

Anybody have any recommendations one way or another for a decent set?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Reactions: djthumper

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I looked at both of those sets. The 40 piece set had too many bad reviews for my tastes. The 60 piece set looked good, but the price made me wanna check Ebay for alternatives.
I guess I'll be safe until I get the :lightbulb: to build something that bolts together again.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I may have the 60, but I thought was under $40. it has been a few years so it may just have gone up sine i my head I was thinking it was 27.99 for some reason

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
I know it was a while ago that you posted this, but I have used the 18 v MAKITA drill and driver extensively over the past 4 years. About, 1-2 hours on slow days, 6 hours on full days. I don't work at that job anymore, but they worked like a champ. Not only did they take the abuse that I dealt them, they just kept working.

I have dropped them off scaffolding, left them out in the snow overnight, accidently tossed one down 2 flights of stairs.

I really enjoyed my time with them, and would recommend them.

Rather than start something new...I will bump this with my new dilemma.

I have a decent set of 19.2 Craftsman portable tools my father gave me one year. Recip Saw, Circ Saw, Drill, Light.... Problem is only of the two batteries is good anymore. I Was looking at new batteries and really wanting to upgrade to Lithium Ion. However with the cost of a couple batteries and a charger: I find myself looking at new tools. I really have been wanting a batt op Impact, but the Craftsman one sucks(from experience using one) so i start dreaming and looking at other Lithium Ion Battery Portable Tool Sets. Finding all sort of options and wanted some opinions.

My basic needs are a drill and an impact. Those two I use the most and need a non-corded version. I have the rest in good corded versions and I do have one battery that is good for the Craftsman saws.

I like Milwaukee from experience. I have used and abused some Ryobi my buddy bought last year. Dad has Dewalt, but never been a big fan of the value/price of them personally. I am not worried about name brand as much as performance/warranty. I did find out that Rigid has a lifetime warranty INCLUDING batteries...for some reason in my current status of battery operated tools that is appealing. Bosch has proved itself to me in first hand usage.

Looking to find a set or at least drill and impact with LI-Ion batteries and charger in the 150-300 range to ask for as a Christmas present

Who has what experience with what? Anyone know of great places to buy? Seen any good comparisons or reviews?

Found this with some Impact info http://www.caranddriver.com/features/impact-wrench-comparison-seven-electric-models-tested-gearbox

Reactions: Redbeard

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
I would not reccoment their new stuff. The couple of times I had to use mine(Purchased within the last year) the handle broke and the square drive end on the tap started rounding out and was not able to finish the job. Maybe a bad batch ?

I have a basic set from Harbor Freight that was cheap and for the few times I really needed it i have zero complaints. Prolly only a dozen uses in 5 years, but worth having around for sure. I know there are better, but my needs truly have not justified it.

Pretty sure it is this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tap-die/40-piece-sae-carbon-steel-tap-and-die-set-39391.html

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I would not reccoment their new stuff. The couple of times I had to use mine(Purchased within the last year) the handle broke and the square drive end on the tap started rounding out and was not able to finish the job. Maybe a bad batch ?

A lot of the negative reviews on their site cited the exact same problem. No bueno! :no:

Nov 8, 2015
Lehigh Acres, Fl
Random idea popped into my head, that made me look into tap & die sets. Don't have an immediate need for them, although for making the custom mounts for my (still) unfinished retrofit, being able to make tapped brackets was great.

The amount of money I spent on single components in local stores to make 1 size makes me feel like a :dunce: Checked the websites for a few sets that could be picked up locally, too much loot, for how little they'd be used. These 2 might be possibilities though.

I cannot speak to how the HF set is made, or what tool steel (if any) they use. But I sell a set that has adjustable dies, comes with a chart telling you what drill bits to use for what engagement for the tap size you are using, and they are very high quality tool steel.
https://store.snapon.com/Metric-Set...pcs-3mm-to-12mm-Adjustable-dies--P630632.aspx

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I cannot speak to how the HF set is made, or what tool steel (if any) they use. But I sell a set that has adjustable dies, comes with a chart telling you what drill bits to use for what engagement for the tap size you are using, and they are very high quality tool steel.

I'm sure that's a really nice set. If I was constantly fabricating stuff, or worked in a shop of some kind, that would be something to consider. But as infrequently as I'd have the need, there's no way I could justify that cost. The options I'm looking at cost less than 10% of those :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.