Tool Talk

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Completed my little mini pliers set, and also got some long-reach pliers. Those Crescent ones with the 2 pivot points (GearWrench is the same thing, just different handle color and a lifetime warranty for ~2x price, but at $30 for the GW version it's a decent buy). Then on an impulse buy I also got a caliper. I'll find uses for it, I always do.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Got a good haul.

-Soldering iron & torch. Soldering iron is pretty important and the torch functionality would just be nice to have in assisting old nuts and bolts off.
-Flare nut wrenches
-More screwdrivers. Specifically a nice large set to cover the meatier screw heads I come across whether on home or auto.
-Some wobble extensions. Have plenty of non-wobble, but there are obvious uses for these.
-1/2" breaker bar
-Magnetic dish. Nice cheapie HF one, it's just a magnet and a metal bowl so no need to go find the most expensive, most chromed-out one on the market.
-Nut drivers. Nice to have actual drivers instead of using one of those bits connected to the end of some BS handle, nice for tighter work areas.
-Hex sockets. I had a cheapie HF metric set before, upgraded and now have both SAE and SI.
-Torx drivers. Beats using bits for some scenarios.
-T-Handle set. Having an extremely-long t-handle allen wrench or screwdriver is sometimes just the ticket.

Even then, pretty sure I'm missing a few things. Just went kinda nuts, but I'm finally feeling quite confident that for just about anything I'd trust myself to do at my current experience level I won't be stopped for lack of a tool fit for the job, especially as I'm generally the handyman around the house and with all the mechanized, motorized, electronic stuff put into even a not-very-modern home a good assortment of things are necessary.

And I just realized, the parent company of my employer also owns a tool box manufacturer, and I can get rebates on pretty much every product the parent company owns. So if I need to go bigger, I can probably do it at half-price or so!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Rather than start something new...I will bump this with my new dilemma.

I have a decent set of 19.2 Craftsman portable tools my father gave me one year. Recip Saw, Circ Saw, Drill, Light.... Problem is only of the two batteries is good anymore. I Was looking at new batteries and really wanting to upgrade to Lithium Ion. However with the cost of a couple batteries and a charger: I find myself looking at new tools. I really have been wanting a batt op Impact, but the Craftsman one sucks(from experience using one) so i start dreaming and looking at other Lithium Ion Battery Portable Tool Sets. Finding all sort of options and wanted some opinions.

My basic needs are a drill and an impact. Those two I use the most and need a non-corded version. I have the rest in good corded versions and I do have one battery that is good for the Craftsman saws.

I like Milwaukee from experience. I have used and abused some Ryobi my buddy bought last year. Dad has Dewalt, but never been a big fan of the value/price of them personally. I am not worried about name brand as much as performance/warranty. I did find out that Rigid has a lifetime warranty INCLUDING batteries...for some reason in my current status of battery operated tools that is appealing. Bosch has proved itself to me in first hand usage.

Looking to find a set or at least drill and impact with LI-Ion batteries and charger in the 150-300 range to ask for as a Christmas present

Who has what experience with what? Anyone know of great places to buy? Seen any good comparisons or reviews?

Found this with some Impact info http://www.caranddriver.com/features/impact-wrench-comparison-seven-electric-models-tested-gearbox

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a thing with torque and lug nuts so I Never use impacts on them but good info.

Milwaukee is on my list...

Reactions: dmanns67

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Rather than start something new...I will bump this with my new dilemma.

I have a decent set of 19.2 Craftsman portable tools my father gave me one year. Recip Saw, Circ Saw, Drill, Light.... Problem is only of the two batteries is good anymore. I Was looking at new batteries and really wanting to upgrade to Lithium Ion. However with the cost of a couple batteries and a charger: I find myself looking at new tools. I really have been wanting a batt op Impact, but the Craftsman one sucks(from experience using one) so i start dreaming and looking at other Lithium Ion Battery Portable Tool Sets. Finding all sort of options and wanted some opinions.

My basic needs are a drill and an impact. Those two I use the most and need a non-corded version. I have the rest in good corded versions and I do have one battery that is good for the Craftsman saws.

I like Milwaukee from experience. I have used and abused some Ryobi my buddy bought last year. Dad has Dewalt, but never been a big fan of the value/price of them personally. I am not worried about name brand as much as performance/warranty. I did find out that Rigid has a lifetime warranty INCLUDING batteries...for some reason in my current status of battery operated tools that is appealing. Bosch has proved itself to me in first hand usage.

Looking to find a set or at least drill and impact with LI-Ion batteries and charger in the 150-300 range to ask for as a Christmas present

Who has what experience with what? Anyone know of great places to buy? Seen any good comparisons or reviews?

Found this with some Impact info http://www.caranddriver.com/features/impact-wrench-comparison-seven-electric-models-tested-gearbox
You know, I think I have the same set (or maybe similar, different voltage maybe?) handed down to me from my ex's dad a long time ago. The battery is horrible.

A Milwaukee as suggested makes some very fine power tools! I also like myself a good DeWalt. We had one for closing casement windows quickly, and whoever hit up the Depot to purchase it didn't notice it was an impact driver. Had tons of call-backs for stripped operator hardware, and that hardware was pretty durable. Needless to say they made sure we got a regular drill (with clutch) now! :rotfl:

Also, I've got some more stuff I haven't added to my notes on here (such as ANOTHER multimeter :rotfl:) just haven't had time to think of it.

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Telescopic Magnet... EVERY mechanic, no matter what your skill, should have one.

Why? Because SOME bolts will drop on the ground, right in the center of the vehicle, IF you're lucky...
the other bolts will bounce into any pan of oil you have under or near the vehicle.
And your screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches... yupp, they are masters of finding the darkest, tightest crevice to fall into.

If you haven't already added a telescopic magnet to your tool box, you simply haven't been working on automobiles long enough.... lol

( When I was managing a used car lot, the first question I would ask mechanic-applicants was- "what size is your manget?"
The answer to that question would contribute to the fate of that job interview :wink: )

image_17675.jpg

AND, when you start losing your vision (like I have), those bolts are sometimes hard to see on the concrete floor...
and that is why they created "the floor sweeper magnet".

pACE2-989364reg.jpg

Reactions: Mounce and dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got a few of the tele magnets

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Got a few of the tele magnets
My box has a drawer dedicated to tele magnets and tele mirrors.... lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My fav has a led light n flexy end

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have a thing with torque and lug nuts so I Never use impacts on them but good info.

Milwaukee is on my list...
i use the impact to take them off and run them back on but I use a torque wrench to tighten them up.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
808_LS_EXT said:
Telescopic Magnet... EVERY mechanic, no matter what your skill, should have one.

Why? Because SOME bolts will drop on the ground, right in the center of the vehicle, IF you're lucky...
the other bolts will bounce into any pan of oil you have under or near the vehicle.
And your screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches... yupp, they are masters of finding the darkest, tightest crevice to fall into.

If you haven't already added a telescopic magnet to your tool box, you simply haven't been working on automobiles long enough.... lol

( When I was managing a used car lot, the first question I would ask mechanic-applicants was- "what size is your manget?"
The answer to that question would contribute to the fate of that job interview :wink: )

image_17675.jpg

AND, when you start losing your vision (like I have), those bolts are sometimes hard to see on the concrete floor...
and that is why they created "the floor sweeper magnet".

pACE2-989364reg.jpg
Can't say I've seen one of those magnets on wheels, but it seems like a solid option to make sure you've got everything. My grandpa had one of those big circle magnets on a stick to pick stuff up.

Honestly, I'm surprised we don't have something like that where I work. There's a lot of screws dropped through the day and nobody has time to pick them up, and no time is allotted at the end of shift to do anything beyond just sweeping up. I imagine having someone go around at the end of shift with a magnet like that, it'd probably pay for itself within a month. Inventory guys can sort them out, we'll just pick it up and dump it in a bucket.

Reactions: Mounce

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Can't say I've seen one of those magnets on wheels, but it seems like a solid option to make sure you've got everything. My grandpa had one of those big circle magnets on a stick to pick stuff up.

Honestly, I'm surprised we don't have something like that where I work. There's a lot of screws dropped through the day and nobody has time to pick them up, and no time is allotted at the end of shift to do anything beyond just sweeping up. I imagine having someone go around at the end of shift with a magnet like that, it'd probably pay for itself within a month. Inventory guys can sort them out, we'll just pick it up and dump it in a bucket.
Got mine from ACE hardware...

Worth every penny of the $30 I paid.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its actually pretty dang solid

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415762617211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415762617211.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Aarkon and dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
$4000 new but bout a grand used. One guy up on van n another under w it on lift n no worries.

Got a lil cherry picker too. Couple ton folding unit.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415763253531.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415763253531.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415763283714.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415763283714.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 24

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep it sure does. Got extra adaptors for trucks too.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Got my Dewalt 20v Lithium Ion impact wrench on Monday. Off to Harbor Freight today for impact sockets and extensions.

On a side note, I would love one of those lifts if anyone wants to donate one. lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Grab some torque sticks too

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Grab some torque sticks too
Those are cool, I didn't even know they made those. I'll have to get some.

The 400 ib ft is too much to tighten anything on the truck as far as I'm aware. I just bought it to remove things, but these should let me use it to tighten things most of the way.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:bump:

So I'm not quite at the point where I NEED to replace my floor jack, but I'm starting to think about it. I bought this about 2.5 years ago...

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set

All was fine until this past fall when I noticed the jack would start to sag if you left a load on it for a minute or so. If the jack stands are right there, then it's not a big deal, but if you were gonna use it as auxiliary support, say like supporting the rear end while swapping shocks, then that's a pain.

There's only a 1 year warranty on the jack which I didn't know until today, and after reading some of the reviews, I'm not the only one that's had issues after the warranty period was up. I am pretty sure I want to invest in an aluminum one next time around, the steel one is too heavy to be lugging around when no garage is involved. May look into the rapid-pump/speed jacks as well.

Anybody have any good recommendations from their experiences?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Blckshdw said:
:bump:

So I'm not quite at the point where I NEED to replace my floor jack, but I'm starting to think about it. I bought this about 2.5 years ago...

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set

All was fine until this past fall when I noticed the jack would start to sag if you left a load on it for a minute or so. If the jack stands are right there, then it's not a big deal, but if you were gonna use it as auxiliary support, say like supporting the rear end while swapping shocks, then that's a pain.

There's only a 1 year warranty on the jack which I didn't know until today, and after reading some of the reviews, I'm not the only one that's had issues after the warranty period was up. I am pretty sure I want to invest in an aluminum one next time around, the steel one is too heavy to be lugging around when no garage is involved. May look into the rapid-pump/speed jacks as well.

Anybody have any good recommendations from their experiences?
My last jack was a torrin 2 ton aluminum racing jack. It was the best jack I have ever had and I used it for about 5 years with no problems at all. I Lost it during the divorce process.

Last weekend I bought this 2 ton aluminum racing jack from harbor freight and also the matching aluminum stands. Quality is fantastic, and works very well so far.

uploadfromtaptalk1424969302864.jpg

Reactions: Mounce and Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looks good, and is my favorite color too :cool: I had initially bought a HF aluminum jack and a pair of stands, but on my way home, a friend texted me that the Sears set came with the creeper and was going to be less, so I pulled a U-turn and took them back.

Figured Craftsman would be better quality hands down... Yeah, well 1 of the casters on the creeper broke off, and another one is bent. Need to get around to replacing those too before I need to use it again. :hopeless:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Have you checked to see if you can order a seal kit for it? My torrin jack came with a spare set which i still have lol

BTW I had a torrin creeper, brake stool, and stands too and they were all fantastic. I would recommend torrin to anybody. This HF set seems awesome too so far.

Reactions: djthumper

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
How much was that hf jack, BT? I'm about to need a new one. Been having issues with our old steel jack for a few years (leaking fluid, now leaking down while under load, and it's getting straight up scary to use on a vehicle as heavy as the EXT) and I'll agree that it's a pain if you need to take it anywhere. Btch is heavy.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
Have you checked to see if you can order a seal kit for it? My torrin jack came with a spare set which i still have lol

BTW I had a torrin creeper, brake stool, and stands too and they were all fantastic. I would recommend torrin to anybody. This HF set seems awesome too so far.
A couple of the reviews said that they were disappointed a repair kit wasn't available, which pretty much sealed the deal on me looking for a new one. Luckily I've only had to use it for simple things, oil change, or brakes, but if I had to do shocks, motor mounts or something like that, I'd probably be cursing quite a bit.

I kinda do want a stool too. Sitting on the creeper is convenient, but sometimes it's not, due to being so low. That, and I also don't have any room for one :mad:

Mounce said:
How much was that hf jack, BT? I'm about to need a new one. Been having issues with our old steel jack for a few years (leaking fluid, now leaking down while under load, and it's getting straight up scary to use on a vehicle as heavy as the EXT) and I'll agree that it's a pain if you need to take it anywhere. Btch is heavy.
Fortunately I haven't had to take this thing anywhere, other than moving. Carrying it from the front closet in the house, to my carport (maybe 20 feet) is irritating enough as it is. One friend tried to suggest I simply "throw it in the truck" and bring it along to help him do some work on a friend's vehicle, but I had to express the gravity (pun intended) of the situation. :no:

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Blckshdw said:
Fortunately I haven't had to take this thing anywhere, other than moving. Carrying it from the front closet in the house, to my carport (maybe 20 feet) is irritating enough as it is. One friend tried to suggest I simply "throw it in the truck" and bring it along to help him do some work on a friend's vehicle, but I had to express the gravity (pun intended) of the situation. :no:
I've only moved ours a little bit like if I wanted to work outside the garage for more room or something but it's not light at all. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so awkward to carry.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice Jack! I love my HF Jack. I have the low-pro steel one as I did not need any weight savings and wanted the extra height and price saving. Been couple years of some decent use and no issues at all.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Two nice jacks. I like the fact that the new one is made in the USA and looks well made too :thumbsup: Mike.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Assembled in the USA. I spent 6 years rebuilding hydraulics. That is how I acquired the first one. I rebuilt many of the small ones over the years. I recently had a friend from Canada bring 3 down to me to make one good one for him.

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Got some new tooling for work related stuff. 2 new 2-flute 1/4in TiN coated carbide endmills, an 1/8in pipe reamer and tap combo, 1/2in and 1/4in countersinks, 12in and 6in dial caliper set, new software update for my knee mill, and (my favorite part) a new precision vise. Non-work related I bought myself a new claw hammer and some pry-bars. Its been a good week so far!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online