Took a few pics with borescope inside cylinder

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I'm sure there are better scopes but picked this up from CL this week and have other uses for it but wanted to look around and see how the motor looked for 200K. I just did a water injection/cleaning via the vacuum port, used about 20 OZ, then I used the GM top end cleaner, not the
Top Engine Cleaner" but the newer treatment. I don't have access to the fuel rail so the method is to dilute 7 OZ gas to 1 part cleaner and use a spray bottle and injest through the TB when running...I did about 21 OZ of this. I also had half a tank of BG44K run through it and this is what it looks like after a week of driving. I wish I did a before and after but didn't think about it at the time.

I have to run out this afternoon so I had to button everything up, but this is just one cylinder (#2).

Looks like the cross-hatch marks are somewhat visible and it looks like the top ring is visible.

Attachments

• 535BB314.jpg
    535BB314.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 535BB48C.jpg
    535BB48C.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 33

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Would the dark spots be carbon/gunk build up or corrosion?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Last couple heads I ever pulled off had a good thin layer of carbon built up, this looks the same but seems like the cleaning agrnts did a decent job. Really wish I had a before pic to be 100% on that.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Didn't get to tear into the motor this weekend, will be pushed off till next week so no more motor pics.

The camera I'm using is the Autel MV-400 with the 5.5 MM head. There are good reviews and some of them state that it's not great for looking into the cylinders...I sorta agree. If I had to do this again I would go with the 8.5MM head like one Amazon reviewer stated and this would still be small enough. I think the only drawback of the smaller lens is less light gathering abilities, at about 3" from anything in the cylinder you lose alot of detail, you really need to be close to the object but it's just something to get used to, you're not going to put it into a dark pipe and see 2' down the hole...not happening.

There is a mirror attachment that screws right on to the head and retains the 5.5MM, works ok but the LED's do reflect slightly onto the mirror. Will take some getting used to as there are no orientation marks but again something to figure out.

The good is......it's tiny, has photo and video capabilities and uses internal memory or a micro SD card, you can also output to a monitor. Video resoluton drops from the 640x480 picture mode down to 320x240 but at least you can record video. It does offer alot of bang for the buck so time will tell, if I can find a seperate 8.5MM cable I will compare them.

Attachments

• CA2_2642.jpg
    CA2_2642.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 6

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher