Too many Electrical problems

@Bravada

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
First of all I need to say this, I am so glad I found this site... I had started to wonder why I wasn't getting replies to my posts at TrailVoy...

A few weeks back I noticed the lights on the instrument panel on my 2004 Bravada started to act funny. Some clicking sound and the engine wouldnt start. When I realized it could be the battery problem I replaced the battery. After replacing the battery the airbag light stayed on all the time. The driver power seat wouldn't go back and forth and the passenger power seat was completely dead.

Now there is another problem, i see the service engine light (SEL)on. It started off as flashing SEL and then stayed. It finally went off and then whenever I drive over a slight uphill road it starts to flash and when I take my foot off the gas pedal it goes off. Seems like the whole electrical system is falling apart.

is there something I can do, could it be some issue with the fuses, I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
@Bravada said:
First of all I need to say this, I am so glad I found this site... I had started to wonder why I wasn't getting replies to my posts at TrailVoy...

A few weeks back I noticed the lights on the instrument panel on my 2004 Bravada started to act funny. Some clicking sound and the engine wouldnt start. When I realized it could be the battery problem I replaced the battery. After replacing the battery the airbag light stayed on all the time. The driver power seat wouldn't go back and forth and the passenger power seat was completely dead.

Now there is another problem, i see the service engine light (SEL)on. It started off as flashing SEL and then stayed. It finally went off and then whenever I drive over a slight uphill road it starts to flash and when I take my foot off the gas pedal it goes off. Seems like the whole electrical system is falling apart.

is there something I can do, could it be some issue with the fuses, I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.

I know that if you take it to Advance auto they can pull up any pending codes (maybe the last few also?). This may give you a place to start. I'm sure someone will chime in with a better response soon (I know Roadie is the go to guy for electrical issues :yes:) Maybe its a loose ground connection?

sorry I can't be of any more help.

khill

Jan 7, 2012
Sounds like a loose connector or bad/faulty control module. First thing is to get the codes read, see if that leads anywhere. Then come back here and we continue from there.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
You may have a couple a problems; the flashing CEL is usually a mis-fire. Do you notice a loss of power when the light is flashing?

The other problems may be a ground problem, or perhaps a faulty ignition switch.

The flashing CEL is the one I would tackle first (if it continues, it can destroy the cat converter), as suggested, we need the codes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ray's doing the same thing we all would - do triage on the problems and tackle the urgent ones that can cost you something expensive if deferred. Flashing CEL is that one.

Get the codes read, or buy a code reader to do it yourself.

Did the battery fix the failure to start problem and the lights?

If not, you may also have a flaky ignition switch.

Do you own a meter and know how to use it with guidance?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
@Bravada said:
After replacing the battery the airbag light stayed on all the time. The driver power seat wouldn't go back and forth and the passenger power seat was completely dead.

There is a TSB for a frayed or loose connector/wire underneath the seat that causes this. Probably what killed the battery if this is constant power. My Alldata subscription just expired so I can't lookup the TSB.

@Bravada

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Thank you all for your replies :smile: really appreciate it...

A couple of days ago, I had disconnected the battery and re-connected it after about an hour. I haven't seen the flashing CEL light since. I will be on the look out for this problem to reappear (hope it doesn't) and meanwhile tomorrow I will have the codes pulled and post them here

answering "the roadie",
  1. replacing the battery did solve the problem with starting and the funny lights behavior
  2. but the "airbag" light is on ever since. don't know how serious this is and how to go about fixing it.
  3. the driver seat doesn't go back and forth and
  4. the passenger seat is completely stuck like there is no power to it what-so-ever.
  5. and yes I have a multimeter and I can use it. I haven't diagnosed this kind of stuff before but will be able to follow instructions to the letter.

if the codes indicate mis-fire then I suppose it will also suggest which cylinder and the ignition coil for that cylinder will need replacing. Last year replaced all spark plugs and cleaned throttle body so this job should be simple...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
@Bravada said:
but the "airbag" light is on ever since. don't know how serious this is and how to go about fixing it.
A high end scan tool can talk to the airbag (SRS) system and ask it what's wrong. There are diagnostic checks for all the airbag firing circuits, and others for each sensor. The system is pretty much too complex to diagnose without a good tool. Paying a mechanic with such a tool, or resorting to the dealer if there's not a good independent mechanic, is that I'd do.

@Bravada

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Took my Bravada to the dealership today and had them diagnose it for the airbag light. It was a loose connection which was causing the airbag light to go ON and also the cause for the power seats problems. I will be getting the car back tomorrow and then I'll try to read the engine codes myself. I am planning on purchasing a code reader. Is there any recommendation...

Thanks a lot.

Joshtradamus

Apr 22, 2012
I would have the dealer use the tech-II on it.. Some indy shops have them also..

@Bravada said:
Took my Bravada to the dealership today and had them diagnose it for the airbag light. It was a loose connection which was causing the airbag light to go ON and also the cause for the power seats problems. I will be getting the car back tomorrow and then I'll try to read the engine codes myself. I am planning on purchasing a code reader. Is there any recommendation...

Thanks a lot.

My recommendation is GM's Tech II.. But I highly doubt you'd be willing to shell out that kind of money for one, but you might. I got a used one in nice shape for 1400.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online