Tons of codes after an engine swap

maryserv

Original poster
Aug 30, 2019
TX
Hi all -
I am a lurker for a while and now I need some thoughts. I'm on my 2nd TB - current one is a 2006. A shop that was recommended to me swapped out the engine and I went to pick it up today. The guy I've been dealing with was not the one that did the work, which I knew. The guy who did the work said loud enough for me to hear that there were a ton of codes. They had not written them down and I had them do that. 9 codes...I figured some would go away when the PCM relearned the new engine so I went to drive. New engine sounds great, push the gas, vehicle barely moves. I am frankly shocked they said it was ready. I drove around the parking lot and pulled back in and told them that it wasn't right and I'm not taking it. I've never had a transmission code in all the years I have had this vehicle. The guy I was working with is going to "get under there" with the mech that did the hookup tomorrow. I'm gonna pull all the codes now to see what they are. My concern is that there is a transmission shop next door, literally. I'd love some thoughts. I'm going to pull codes now, so no need to tell me what they are, but I am someone who likes all the info, so here they are: 0443, 0506, 0748, 0787, 1815, 0973, 0976, 2769, 2764. Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The majority of those are for the transmission. Likely the connector not connected right, wiring or the fuse is blown. One or two of the others are for the evap. Likely again a connector or wiring issue.

Reactions: maryserv

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The 20 Pin Main 4L60E Transmission Connector delivers Power and PCM Commands to control its Solenoid Actuation for various Shift Patterns. Most of those Trouble Codes relate to the sub-sets of these internal components:

http://www.e-transcontrol.com/linked/gm_4l60_20pin.pdf

The Red Circle on this attached image highlights its location on the Passenger Side of the Transmission Body. It requires a “Squeeze and Pull Up” Technique to unplug it… and then after spraying out the Male and Female connector points with CRC Circuit Cleaning Solvent… re-plug it back in and after clearing all codes… try to Start and Drive to see if this was the problem. On rare occasions... the various wires of the 20 Pin Harness will Break Off and disconnect-re-connect randomly causing intermittent Shifting Problems:

4L60E20PINELECTRICONNECTOR.jpg

Last edited:

maryserv

Original poster
Aug 30, 2019
TX
Thanks y'all! I pulled codes from Wells and made a troubleshooting guide and sent it to the shop. I was told they ran the car through some code repair thing that tells them what to work on and found that electrical connections were not correct. (Which is what I found during the Wells check). They already found at least one ground not properly connected. Oy vey, THIS is why I bother to try to work on my own vehicles. Why they said it was ready with 9 codes I have no idea.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Meshugena Mechanics... :>)

Welcome to GMT Nation...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86