To make Roadie proud

JazzDad

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
OK, I had the vehicle cranking but no start. (It is interesting how you release the key and it continues to crank until it's good and ready to stop.) All associated fuses were good. I swapped relay 46 and it made no difference. I think I heard the fuel pump running for the 2 seconds after turning on the key, but didn't remember what it sounded like before. Pulled relay 46 and no pump noise. Now, the pump could still be spinning but not generating enough pressure. I did not have a fuel pressure gauge, so just pushed the Schrader core (with key off) and fuel spurted out. I read about the notorious ignition switches. So I pull apart the column and check the switch. Again, I know it could ohm out and not pass current. I'm looking under the hood again and guess what I see?

View attachment 18792

View attachment 18793

The little #*&%@ didn't leave me much to work with.

View attachment 18791

14 solder joints, electrical tape and tubing later.

View attachment 18794

Total repair time: 4 hours. I wonder how much the dealer would have charged?

Attachments

• P1030447.jpg
    P1030447.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1030445.jpg
    P1030445.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030446.jpg
    P1030446.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P1030448.jpg
    P1030448.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
The Roadie thinks your tubing needs to be straighter next time you shrink something, that looks like electrical tape....

j/k, nice work on that and resolving your problem!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Jesus I would be furious nice recovery work thouh :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice work.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
wow great work there

mika

Dec 6, 2011
did you have roadent stew for dinner??? good job bud.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Nicely done.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yep, I'm impressed. :thumbsup: The dealer would refuse for liability reasons to repair a connector like that, and insisted on installing a new wiring harness for $900 parts and $2850 in labor. :eek: The OS volunteers would have continued to insist it was the ignition switch. :biggrin:

We gotta start adding "rodent damage?" to the troubleshooting checklist. :yes:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
WHAT!?!?!?!? :hissyfit:

I waited all day to see your response, and that was it? :quiverlips:

:crackup::crackup:

yea i expected more as well... but good repair non the less

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Hatchet said:
:crackup::crackup:

yea i expected more as well... but good repair non the less

Oh, there is nothing wrong with the repair... I just expected a lot more from roadie, especially since his name is in the thread title.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:raspberry: I thought the OP was going to say he read the service manual cover to cover :bonk:

Nice work on the wiring repair, I know I woulda been royally pissed to pop the hood and find that too!! :hissyfit:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm packing to leave my hotel in Korea in 15 minutes, to get home after two weeks in miserable 5-10 degree weather I'm not used to. I almost didn't check in at all this morning. :raspberry: I guess I should have said the use of solder and not blue painter's tape for wire wrap is a good example for others? :wink:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
I'm packing to leave my hotel in Korea in 15 minutes, to get home after two weeks in miserable 5-10 degree weather I'm not used to. I almost didn't check in at all this morning. :raspberry: I guess I should have said the use of solder and not blue painter's tape for wire wrap is a good example for others? :wink:

Yea, I want to choke the last owner of my Trailblazer because of that. Never fear though, that has been corrected.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
great work man... all the more reason to be greatful that i came to this site... knowledgeable people enabling us to resolve our own issues.... :grouphug:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Good detective work & repair!

My old boss was complaining every time he filled his car he smelled gas finally after a lunch out he stopped at a gas station and while we watched under the car he filled it. Yeah gas was coming out. He brought it a mechanic, verdict: squirrel ate the rubber gas hose from filler neck to tank.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I worked at a tire shop when I was in HS and college, I changed the oil for a guy one time who had the old round breather/air filter and it was full of dog food that a squirrel had stolen and hidden in there.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I thought I had solved the mouse problem in my pole barn by using Assault poison which looks like little green donuts.I knew they were working because they kept disappearing and the damage had stopped.
I don't know what happened to the mice but,I found a gazillion little green donuts in the airbox of my previous suv durring a filter change.
At work a mouse chewed through a wire and took out a 200MW generator but,he got fried with 250vdc in the process.
I know rodents have to constantly chew but,why wire?? I too hate MEECES....just sayin'...Mike.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A mouse took out the transformer for one place I worked. That eerie silence for a moment just before every cries ARRRRGH!

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Yep, I'm impressed. :thumbsup: The dealer would refuse for liability reasons to repair a connector like that, and insisted on installing a new wiring harness for $900 parts and $2850 in labor. :eek: The OS volunteers would have continued to insist it was the ignition switch. :biggrin:

We gotta start adding "rodent damage?" to the troubleshooting checklist. :yes:

Not true at all, we fix things like that all the time.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
the roadie said:
:redface: Sorry about the dealer-bashing. It is unfair to honorable ones. :redface:
So we have two or three honorable ones here? :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online