TIS says to reboot Tech 2 during reprogram

Almarwan

Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
BASIN VIEW
GUYS!!!!! PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!! IM IN THE MIDDLE OF REPROGRAMMING MY ECU USING A CLONE TECH2 AND AFTER ALMOST 4 WEEKS OF SUFFERING HOW TO WORK OUT THIS TOOL TO DAY I PLUGGED IT IN THE ECU AND IN THE MIDDLE OF LOADING TO ECU THE MESSAGE COMES UP ( E678: PLEASE RESTRAT YOUR TECH2! PRESS CANCEL TO ABORT!)

FEW DAYS AGO i HAVE PURCHASE AN OBD EXTENSION PLUG WITH SWITCH SO I CAN RUN THE TECH2 THRU THE AC INSTEAD OF THE CAR BATTERY i THOUGHT THIS WOULD FIX THIS ERROR BUT STILL NOTHING! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM DOWN UNDER!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 9.54.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 9.54.53 AM.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Your post has been moved to its own thread.

First, PLEASE STOP SHOUTING by turning off ALL CAPS.

Next, we need more details.
What year and model vehicle are you trying to reprogram.
Computer type and version of Windows you are using.
Which USB to Serial adapter are you using, if any.
Have you ever been able to use the Tech 2 on this vehicle for scanning and other diagnostics?

Almarwan

Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
BASIN VIEW
Your post has been moved to its own thread.

First, PLEASE STOP SHOUTING by turning off ALL CAPS.

Next, we need more details.
What year and model vehicle are you trying to reprogram.
Computer type and version of Windows you are using.
Which USB to Serial adapter are you using, if any.
Have you ever been able to use the Tech 2 on this vehicle for scanning and other diagnostics?
Hi Mate screaming out of frustrations! Ok the car is 2010 Holden ve commodore sv6 Series 2, using windows 7 with 32 bits processor, using a RS232 to USB adapter and the tool communicating well with the laptop so i don't have any issues with that ( AS OF YET ). the issue im facing right now is the final stage of loading the update to the ecu, every time i restart the tech2 then pressing ok it load for few seconds and then the same message comes back again, and after few attempts i get a red text message saying ( programming has failed )WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 11.33.41 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 9.54.53 AM.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Strange. I have done several modules, including the ECU, on my 2011 Caprice (made by Holden, 6.0L L77) and it never asks to turn off or on the Tech 2. It is only an interface to the car. I wonder if there is possibly interference from another module causing this. You might need to try and disconnect all the modules from the CANBUS via the main splice pack by pulling the comb and connecting only the ECU to the diagnostic port. I don't know where it is located on this vehicle.

Why are you reprogramming the ECU? Is it a replacement? Maybe it's not the correct one, is defective or it's been bricked for some reason.

Almarwan

Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
BASIN VIEW
there was an updated released by holden a while back for the 0420/0430 calibration. Mate its confusing me and im getting sick of it! im gonna give it a last try by fully charging the car battery and then i will try again if it didnt work I will just bite the bullet and take it to hold it do the update for me and pay the $115.... im sure its going to be something silly causing all this fiasco

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You are on track regarding it possibly being related to a Power Issue... Check out this Video from "Dr. Shock" ...

Dr. Shock describes a similar problem to yours that he solved by using a Special DLC Power Switch that prevents the "GYMKO" Tech 2 from taking its Power FROM the DLC and causes it to use the External AC-DC Power Converter which should ONLY only be Plugged into the DLC Connector and NOT into the Base DC Power Input of the "GYMKO" Tech 2.

Most of the time that is required for writing the Calibrations to the PCM EPROM is Long Enough to Run the Nominal Battery Voltage Down Way Too Low, either from having certain Modules coming alive or by having the Door Ajar and the Dome Light on as these are the usual suspects. Using an expensive TOPDON or Similar Battery Maintainer is generally how the Pro Shops avoid having such difficulties with Calibration Write Drop Outs:

Please... Take some time to check out ALL of Dr. Shock's "GYMKO" Tech 2 Clone Videos at this Link as well for they may prove useful in many other areas of Your Tech 2:

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I cant watch those vids (at work).. That said, I know that you need to have a battery charger on the vehicle for any programing. If at any time it drops below 11.9 volts, it can fail, and potentially brick (although not likely).

Put a 10amp maintainer on it, or better.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Basically connect the Tech 2 to an external power supply NOT connected to the vehicle that's cranking.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You might want to investigate your Local Salvage Yards for any Used Holden PCM-ECMs available... Hopefully for NOT Too Much *Jingle* ... Just to have some additional insurance against winding up with an Accidentally *Bricked* PCM.

And of course, for obvious reasons, make certain NOT to perform the Identical Calibration Writing Tactics upon The Replacement Unit as were done with the Original PCM ... Not until you can sort things out and determine The Best Conditions and Orders of Operation to make this entire process work successfully.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No point in trying to help this dude. He hasn't been here in two years.

• Wow
Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86