NEED HELP Tire wear question

Myzon26

Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
West Carrollton OH
Does anyone know what would cause this? I have look at the suspension on that side and nothing immediately jumped out at me. This is the drivers side front and the wear is on the inside. This was a new tire not that long ago. Honestly I didn't notice it until it was too late. I had noticed an odd sound when driving on certain roads kind of like rubbing rubber against smooth metal and that is what prompted me to look.The passengers side looks to have normal wear. The previous tires I had installed had normal wear before the replacement. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20170922_122404_1.jpg
    20170922_122404_1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 17

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'd say your tie rods may be done for. You might want to get it to a competent alignment shop and have them align it and check the tie rods, and all the bushings.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be a bad tire, or bad alignment. Negative camber would normally have worn down the inner part of the tread more, not that one part inward. I'd be thinking the same as Matt. Check for looseness in any joints/bushings, and get the alignment checked.

Reactions: Matt

Myzon26

Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
West Carrollton OH
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the wheel last night and looked but didn't see anything that immediately jumped out at me. I tried to move the tire at the 6 and 12 as well as the 3 and 9 positions and it seemed pretty tight. One thing I did notice is the tie rod is pretty loose. I can move it by hand pretty easily. Would this cause this type of wear on one side only?
As far as getting it aligned, I'm embarrassed to admit that when they put the tires on they said the alignment wouldn't hold if they did one so they didn't do it. I told they I would fix it because they wanted what seems like a lot more than it should be. I can replace the parts without too much issue. It's the diagnosing I struggle with.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Got your answer my son. Get new tie rods on there and get another alignment.

Did they say why the alignment wouldn't hold? Wasn't the TRE's was it?

Myzon26

Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
West Carrollton OH
It's been quite awhile ago and I can't recall. I do recall they didn't seem as forthcoming about it as I would've liked and that's why I told them I would take it home.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It's been quite awhile ago and I can't recall. I do recall they didn't seem as forthcoming about it as I would've liked and that's why I told them I would take it home.

Funny that...looks like they wanted to make some coin off you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online