Tire sizes....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Not sure if this is the right place for this question...

I'm wanting to put bigger tires on Phantom to kind of illustrate a lift to see if I like it or not, but I'm not sure how this all works lol.

I have 17" rims and eventually would like to get 20" rims, but I also want bigger tires to give the truck a slight lift, I know it won't be a huge difference, but being as small as I am every little bit does make a difference.

So, with that all said...what is the largest size tire I can put on stock height and can I put 20" rims on a larger more aggressive tire?

I won't be buying for another 3 months or so, but I have a shop here that will let me test out tire(used) sizes before buying.

Thanks!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I do not think that thread will help because she wants 20"s and that has up to 17" max. Me personally I would go to a tire place and just ask them and they should give you a number

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I do not think that thread will help because she wants 20"s and that has up to 17" max. Me personally I would go to a tire place and just ask them and they should give you a number

I did ask, but I got the "I don't think that's possible" answer. So I wanted to check here that way I could bring ammunition to him to show that it is possible or at least what is possible for what I'm trying to go for. I just want to try it out....nothing set in stone yet.

He told me it wouldn't be possible to upgrade tire size to a more aggressive tire on 20" rims.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You can put any size tire on 16"+ rims, as long as the final outside diameter isn't above 30.6". So a 20" rim is only going to leave about 5" of sidewall, using a size like 265/50-20. Above 30.6" diameter (stock is 29"), you start to need spacers or new rims with less backspacing to push the tires away from the killer upper ball joint.

Use tire size calculators (a fruitful search phrase, I guarantee it) to determine what size a proposed tire is going to be.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
You can put any size tire on 16"+ rims, as long as the final outside diameter isn't above 30.6". So a 20" rim is only going to leave about 5" of sidewall, using a size like 265/50-20. Above 30.6" diameter (stock is 29"), you start to need spacers or new rims with less backspacing to push the tires away from the killer upper ball joint.

Use tire size calculators (a fruitful search phrase, I guarantee it) to determine what size a proposed tire is going to be.

Thanks Roadie!!!! Love it when you chime in!! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online