Tire Inflation

zippy216

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I was told by a friend that you should always use the listed tire inflation amounts listed on the pillar and never go over. I usually have my tires around 3-4 lbs below the max inflation listed on the tire. What is correct? What are the drawbacks to tires inflated more than what is listed on the pillar, which I think is 30 psi for the fronts and 35 psi for the rears? Whay are the fronts and rears different?

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
I believe that filling up the fronts to the same level as the rear can cause the truck to oversteer (quoting second hand information from memory). Our local lube rack airs up the front and rear to 35. You can tell right away because the front suspension becomes rougher going over bumps.

Also, in the trucks with TPMS, if you remove a rim from the vehicle and then try to re-initialize the TPMS system, you will most likely get a TPMS warning if the fronts are too high (at least that's been my experience in our '07). 32 PSI is a good compromise pressure for the fronts that makes the TPMS system happy :crazy:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
tire pressure depends on your mission.
The door pillar is a good starting point if you are still running the factory size tires.
More air is likely to ride rougher, less air will ride better to a point. I've noticed with some SUVs if the rear tires are slack you get more body roll/sway.
Too much air and your tires wear in the center.
Too little air and they wear on the sides.
Most folks would prefer optimal tire wear, to get that you need to do the chalk test.

Of course if you are offroading you will usually want to air down.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
Most folks would prefer optimal tire wear, to get that you need to do the chalk test.

BINGO

Dont rely on other he said/she said BS. Do a simple chalk test and see what pressure gets your tires to proper wear. If you dont like the ride there, then change it to your liking, but at least get a base line.

Different weights in the truck/different tires/different tread/driving style...it all comes into play.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Just to add my :twocents: I run 245-65/17 Firestone Destination A/T's, 40psi all round (max is 44psi) and they are all wearing at the same rate with no unevenness at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.