Tip or Tricks for Removing front differential oil fill plug?!?!?!

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Front diff is leaking, want to see how bad but cannot get the filler plug off.

It seems an 18mm socket fits good, but even the impact wrench wont break it free!
Ive sprayed it with PB Blaster and some Freeze off. Nothing is working.

I'm not sure I want to put the torch on it with all the oil leaked in the area...

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What type of impact are you using and how many/long are the extensions?

I assume you are using extensions, if so, make the extension as short as possible. They can be stubborn and you may need a breaker bar.

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
im using my crummy pneumatic DeVilbiss which usually generates about 90-95lbft of torque (noted from years of using on my lug nuts) and no extensions but I am using a sizing coupler to down size, but I just found an 18mm that is 1/2 drive so I will try that w/o a coupler. Coupler can absorb much of the impact.

Problem is I have a 600mi round trip to make Thursday to Friday, and Im guessing I should drive the TB that far until fixed... :undecided:

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I would drive until the diff is warm then raise the vehicle, take off the passenger wheel, and use a breaker bar on the full plug. It is an 18mm socket.

This is what I had to do and without the vehicle raised I did not have enough Ron to use the breaker bar. Also, mine took quite a bit of torque to get loose and when it finally gave I thought I had broken something, but all was well. When I reinstalled I used Teflon tape to ensure that I wouldn't have to go through that again.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
rgoldberg said:
im using my crummy pneumatic DeVilbiss which usually generates about 90-95lbft of torque (noted from years of using on my lug nuts) and no extensions but I am using a sizing coupler to down size, but I just found an 18mm that is 1/2 drive so I will try that w/o a coupler. Coupler can absorb much of the impact.

I have a Craftsman 1/2 inch 19.2V impact generating 200 lb/ft and would not loosen it with a long extension of about 14".

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would definitely go with a breaker bar. Its the go to tool for breaking the tough ones. I would die without mine.

I have a Snap On Impact I bought off a guy from my dads work it breaks just about everything but that's not a go pick up at sears item.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
rgoldberg said:
Front diff is leaking, want to see how bad but cannot get the filler plug off.

It seems an 18mm socket fits good, but even the impact wrench wont break it free!
Ive sprayed it with PB Blaster and some Freeze off. Nothing is working.

I'm not sure I want to put the torch on it with all the oil leaked in the area...

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

In May03LT's youtube video he used a massive breaker bar - in it he also hints at the use of a torch but doesn't come right out and say it, but that one may not have been leaking. After seeing that vid, I PB Blasted mine about a week ago in prep for a fluid change.

[video=youtube;qST91kDjTIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qST91kDjTIE[/video]

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Yeah mine was tough to get out, and I was the last person to check it.:mad:

If it didn't come out, I would have hit the plug with the torch and then the breaker bar.

If you're going to go that route, just clean the case up a little bit so that there aren't any surprises.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I had to use a couple long 1/2 inch extensions and a breaker bar. Make sure to use a 6 sided socket. Once you have the socket and extensions on there rap on the end of the extension with a hammer a few times. This will help break the rust. Took a lot of force when I changed my front diff fluid.

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Finally got the filler cap off and the diff is full, WTH? The wheel wheel is spackled with oil, the axle is wet and the frame under the axle is wet...
Could this be engine oil somehow leaking on to the axle?

The engine oil was about a quart low when I check it tonight but I'm not 100% it was good and full before I found the leak. :-/
The oil is due to be changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got the filler cap off and the diff is full, WTH? The wheel wheel is spackled with oil, the axle is wet and the frame under the axle is wet...
Could this be engine oil somehow leaking on to the axle?

The engine oil was about a quart low when I check it tonight but I'm not 100% it was good and full before I found the leak. :-/
The oil is due to be changed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It could also be a very slow leak, but when the oil gets flung around it can look worse than it really is.

I'd use something to clean it up really well, then start the engine and let it idle for a little while. Look for any fresh leaks. If none, then go for a short drive and look again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online