(tip) Brake lights inop, blown fuse

fetchthecomfychair

Original poster
May 6, 2018
MS USA
I have seen this a few times years ago in the dealership and now on my own truck. There's no service bulletin about it.

If you have a brake lamp fuse that blows (either intermittent or constant), and your truck has adjustable pedals, most likely the cause is a damaged harness at the brake switch where it loops up over the steering shaft. The factory routing of this harness is not very good. Note the telltale rust caused by arcing.

If the wire(s) are still intact, just wrap with tape and add some sturdy split loom for protection. No need to cut and splice if it's only insulation damage. Also add a piece of loom over the edge of the bracket.

Note in the underhood fuse box photo, the only aftermarket fuse is #12 Stop Lamps (circled). Obviously this was a problem for the previous owner too.

Img_2365sm.jpg
Img_2366sm.jpg
Img_2371sm.jpg
Img_2374sm.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Good stuff, and welcome aboard!
I always like when a GM tech joins the forum, as there's much 'inside info' that gets shared - just like with this item. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very nice. Added to FAQ.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Also kind of curious to know what drove the OP to choose an Envoy over, say, a Sierra or Yukon. (a new thread in 'Member Intros' is good for this)
(And there's no shame in saying "b/c it was cheap, compared to the others") :laugh:

fetchthecomfychair

Original poster
May 6, 2018
MS USA
It was beyond cheap. No joke, it was on fleabay for $2395 buy-it-now. Georgia salvage title because of a minor hit to the right lower bumper (no body damage other than the bumper cover). I wasn't even looking for a 'new' truck.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Kinda surprised it got a salvage title issued just b/c of that. Worked out good for you, though! :thumbsup:

fetchthecomfychair

Original poster
May 6, 2018
MS USA
More info...

There are 7 wires at the brake switch connector, so a chafed harness at this location could affect other things besides the #12 fuse and give different symptoms. For instance if the pink wire goes to GND it kills the IGN 1 ckt (I think the IGN E fuse, #22, and possibly others that feed it - the diagrams are... difficult to use in this way ("Hrm, wonder what would happen if...")).

screenshot.09-05-2018 03.05.59.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.