Tin Can noise from driver front wheel

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I had a tin can noise coming from my driver front wheel tonight. Only at slow speeds, then it went away. I couldn't see anything visible.I plan on taking the front wheel off in the morning to investigate. Has anyone ever had this happen to them or hear of this happening?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Possible wheel bearing? If 4X4 might be CV joint. Just pure speculation on my part.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dry diff? Rock caught in the brake backing shield?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It was a tin can in the wheel!...

I am going to guess the backing plate has been tweaked somehow or a rock in it.

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I'll post what I find later today. Too early to start making noise on a sunday.

jsomething

May 13, 2013
I had the same noise the other day.
Turned out my inner driveshaft boot let go and the pinging was the hose clamp getting tossed around the cv joint

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
jsomething said:
I had the same noise the other day.
Turned out my inner driveshaft boot let go and the pinging was the hose clamp getting tossed around the cv joint
ok. I'm about to get into it now. I'll be looking at the boots. thanks

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I don't see anything obvious for what could have been making the noise. I do have both boots leaking. One worse than the other. I didn't see any tears in them. Looks like maybe it's coming from the area where the boot strap is. I would like to take care of this today of possible. i've never tackled this job, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I think I will start a new thread with pictures

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Your noise is more than likely a problem where the dust plate behind the rotor is rubbing. My old brakes had the ridge on them and they were rubbing into the dust shield and you would hear the metal scraping noise. You can check this by taking off your wheel and pushing the rotor firmly into the hub assembly and spinning it by hand. Look all around the rear of the rotor and see if something is scraping between that and the dust shield. If you have a little lip on the ledge of your rotor you can remove the rotors and take a chisel and go at an angle and remove that ledge and you will stop the noise.

edit: would you consider it like a scraping noise or a pinging noise? If its scraping like you are dragging the can along the ground then your dust shield has got to be it, if its pinging then check your CV boot clamps to make sure they aren't making contact with anything. Also if its scraping try to turn your wheel side to side as it happens and see if it changes the noise. Mine would get louder in turns than in a straight line.

blck90vette

Apr 14, 2014
Signalnc...what was the outcome of your problem,,i`m having the same tin can scraping sound,,but my boots are fine

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I never really figured out where it was coming from. I was out and had about 12 miles to go to get home, so I just started driving slow and the noise faded away.

blck90vette

Apr 14, 2014
that`s what is happening to me now,,,some days i hear clack,clack ,clack,clack...amd another day nothing...

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
blck90vette said:
that`s what is happening to me now,,,some days i hear clack,clack ,clack,clack...amd another day nothing...
do you have 4 wheel drive?

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
kickass audio said:
Did anyone even read my post about the dust shield? Mine came and went at times with the rotor rubbing onto the dust shield.
I did read you post about the dust shield. I looked at mine and didn't see anything wrong with it or any signs it had been rubbing on anything. it's tight, not loose or moving.

Reactions: kickass audio

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
kickass audio said:
Did anyone even read my post about the dust shield? Mine came and went at times with the rotor rubbing onto the dust shield.
was the dust shield loose? were there any rub marks on it?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
My dust shield was not loose it was bolted firmly between the bearing and my truck. There were rub marks but only on the outer ledge of the dust shield. For your brakes do you have a ledge on the outer part of the rotor?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I have a suspicion it may be the intermediate shaft. I'm pretty sure that's what is causing mine, at least. Showed up after the 4x4 tried to go bananas getting me up a steep hill that was slick. I was under there doing my oil today and noticed the bottom of the front differential has some fluid on it, and there is some leading up a little bit on the engine where "behind the front diff" roughly approximates to. A weekend project when I scrounge up the tools and the cash, yay!

sarg

Mar 17, 2014
Mine has been having this noise as well lately after sitting for a week while I was out of town. Almost sounded like a clamp bouncing around on the axle....that was what I was hoping to see at least, but the clamp is still on there solidly.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Warped rotor? Had one that was warped a bit and kept rubbing.

sarg

Mar 17, 2014
I kind of thought it might be brake related, but I am thinking that when stepping on the brake even lightly if that were the case the sound should go away. I guess maybe if it is scrubbing on something else maybe that would not be the case, but it sounds more like a rattle than a scrub. Almost like if you took and rolled a tin can down the street or something. Hard to get a video of due to wind noise and such. It is loudest when I am up against another vehicle or a wall or something and the noise rebounds off the other item.

sarg

Mar 17, 2014
Mine turned out to be the driver's side hub. Got a cheap replacement set of two hubs for $65 on ebay. Driver's side changed and the tin can noise is gone. Now trying to diagnose the noise coming from the other side.

gladesteen

Aug 19, 2014
thanks sarge. I am hearing this noise too. It sounds like 5 pennies being shook inside a glass or something.
Mine does it speicifically OFF of throttle and is loudest at 30-40mph. As soon as i hit the throttle again, the noise stops.
Braking or turning makes no difference. Only when i get on the throttle does the metal tin can sound go away.
Will look at changing a hub i guess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online