Timing chain tensioner gone bad?

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Hey guys I would appreciate some advice for my 2003 Chevy trailblazer 4.2 with 158,000 miles. My parents bought the vehicle new back in 03 and my parents gave me the car 2 years ago when i got my license. Here's the problem... My engine makes a really hard noise to describe and I'll try to describe it as best as possible. It makes a rattle/diesel sound. At idle you can hear the noise the most. Until about 2,000 Rpms the noise gets louder but after 2000 it stops. The funny thing is I am not throwing any check engine light codes, it runs great, it just makes this weird noise. Here's the other weird part, it has been doing it the past 5 years or so but until the last 6. Months or so you would only hear the noise randomly at idle, nothing else but now the noise is prevalent at all times until higher rpms. But after you get it up to speeds like after 25 mph you can't even hear the noise, like I said it runs great. I go to school for automotive mechanics and my instructor at school informed me he thinks it is my timing chain tensioner that has failed and I agreed with him because that is what I thought it was for the past year or so. My instructor told me that my engine is a ticking time bomb and the chain will break at any time and destroy my engine. I really do not want this to happen because I love my trailblazer and it's my first car. I would really appreciate some expert advice from you guys. I am really not about to replace this timing chain and tensioner. That is a ridiculous job and well beyond my mechanical abilities.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Can you take a short video with the hood up and post a youtube link here? That will probably get you the most useful advice--otherwise we're just speculating. FWIW you really don't hear too much about timing chain issues on these engines.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Might be the bearings in the water pump. This happened to ours not long ago. With everything off, and the battery disconnected for safety's sake, I would try and wiggle the fan up/down. I believe it shouldn't move. If it does, the bearings are probably going, hence your noise.

It was a while ago, but I believe this is how we diagnosed it in ours. Of course we had the dealer replace the fan clutch way back when, and they told my wife that something else was going to be a problem, but she could wait and fix it later. She couldn't remember the something else, but deduction led us to the fan clutch, which is attached to the water pump. A simple up down tug, and it was pretty evident. Replaced the pump, nasty noise went away.

Of course it could be another pulley bearing or something else. I'm no expert.

If you think its the water pump and you decide you want to do it yourself, look up the proper way to do it, which I think involves removing a bunch of stuff from the front end or the radiator or something. The way we did, I did not do this. Lots of swearing and cut up hands later, we got it done, but there must of been a much easier way.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Defiantly not the water pump as it was replaced 20,000 miles ago but thank you anyways. Ill be posting a link to a YouTube video I will be posting later of my noise.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Without hearing it, it would be hard to diagnose. Could be a timing chain guide? Awaiting the video.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Just a suggestion. Take off the serpentine belt and start engine, see if the noise goes away.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
[video=youtube;xpcXrDEpZQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcXrDEpZQ8[/video]
Here's the link to my YouTube video. Tell me if the link works thank you!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Hmmm thats a new sound to me. It sounds a little bit like rod knock, but not quite. I have a few guesses, but don't like to give off a guess. Hard to tell when i'm at work with sounds barely on. Hopefully someone can help ya with this.

Oh on a side note. Any engine codes thrown? I would think a broken timing chain tension er would throw the engine out of sink and have misfires.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The link worked for me.:cool:

It's hard to hear it on my phone, i'll rewatch it when I'm home.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
No engine codes except for a po440 evap code that is irrelevant to the noise. Like I said the truck runs great which listening to the sound you would think it runs poorly but it doesn't.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Does not sound good. How is the oil pressure? It would be good to hook up a
mechanical oil PSI gauge and check. There was a resent thread about how to do this.
Many years ago, I had a similar sound which turned out to be the bolts for the torque
converter had somehow come loose (backed out). Use a stethoscope to try to localize
where the noise is coming from.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I edited the YouTube link post to just have the player right here in the forum instead of having to jump to another site.

I would definitely use a stethoscope to try confirming location. If it's the tensioner, it's a time-consuming job that will cost you a bit of money (not a whole ton I don't believe, but it's more than just dropping a Lincoln at Advance Auto and calling it a day for sure). And if it ISN'T the tensioner, you just put that money and all that time in for (nearly) nothing.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I actually already used a stethoscope at school for the noise. The noise was loudest when I put it on top of the valve cover. Also when I put my hand on the top of the valve cover there's a small vibration

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Rod knock would be typically a deeper noise that also goes away after a rev and the engine speed is slowing down. That doesn't. Sounds like something valve train related to me. I definitely wouldn't be driving it until that's fixed!

BTW, looks like the infamous steppers bit you too.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Well I'm gonna have to drive it because it's my daily driver. Yeah stepper motor in my speedometer broke last year unfortunately. Thank you for your input!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
On top of the valve train cover up in the front? Where the bulge is on the left, center, or to the right (looking in from the front)? Or further back than the front?

If it was dead center top front I'd think the top chain guide, maybe.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Yes, top of the valve cover at the furthest front part of the engine, farthest away from the firewall.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I'll go with my original guess of the timing chain guide.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Then it might indeed be the tensioner, maybe. Not the tensioner itself making the noise, but a tensioner not providing proper pressure allowing the chain to hit something. But then again, it sounds way too rhythmic, increasing linearly with engine speed...

I dunno, I'm lost. Where's May03LT :rotfl:

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Thank you guys for all of the help! I'm lost as well. At this point I'm just scared the chain is going to snap and break my engine completely. I love this truck and I don't want to see it going to the junkyard.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Revans381996 said:
Thank you guys for all of the help! I'm lost as well. At this point I'm just scared the chain is going to snap and break my engine completely. I love this truck and I don't want to see it going to the junkyard.

Then it may be best to just roll with what your instructor said if nothing else, and diagnose/repair/replace the tensioner. It would afford you some great wrench time and at least a crude understanding on how to retain timing (if you don't end up having to remove your chain). And at your place of learning do they allow you to come in and get free/reduced-cost tool time in? Or maybe have other people help you? Could be a learning experience for everyone!

There may be other replies cropping up here and there before your next drive, hopefully they could help pinpoint other possible issues.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Yes I can work on my trailblazer at school. I go to high school half day then to my technical school the other half for auto mechanics. The problem with me bringing a huge job to my tech school is I would only have 2 hours max to work on it per day and that is only if we don't have anything else to do considering it is a school and I still need to get my other work done before I can work on my own car. Doing this job I really wouldn't get much help and I have never done a job this big. My instructor who diagnosed my car is only in class one day a week and my other teacher who is there the other days isn't much help to be honest. If I was to do this job I can just see my car sitting in the shop over a month with me getting frustrated. It is my daily driver and I really can't see going a long period of time without a car. If I really knew what I was doing I think I would've already tackled this job but I really don't think I have the skills necessary to do it yet.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If the rest of the truck is in good shape, I'd be tempted to throw another engine in it if that one did blow up. But hopefully it can be fixed instead.

Can you take it to a reputable shop, have them give a 2nd opinion, and see how long it would take to get fixed? Sometimes it is worth just paying someone else to fix it as you'll get it back a lot faster also.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
That's probably what I'm gonna end up doing is taking it to a shop to get a 2nd opinion. The truck is actually great for almost having 160,000 miles except the the speedometer stepper motor being broken.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Revans381996 said:
That's probably what I'm gonna end up doing is taking it to a shop to get a 2nd opinion. The truck is actually great for almost having 160,000 miles except the the speedometer stepper motor being broken.

Just wait until you ever have to disconnect the battery... :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: :rotfl:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Just wait until you ever have to disconnect the battery... :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: :rotfl:

I never used to give it a second thought when I work on my truck till I saw some post here. (knocking on wood)

At the OP, I would try and get it looked at ASAP. If the guide is on it way out from the chain rubbing through it, you can damage the chain and knock your engine out of time. The sound was a bit similar to en engine they brought it to a friends shop (although it was a Ford). It wasnt something I saw right away till he told me to look again. The plastic guide had rubbed over to metal. Keep us posted and as always I hope its not that expensive or serious.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
There is a picture of the top guide on this thread #19.

Woke up today & P1345

from a few days ago.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I don't get the battery thing, but just recently I've been seeing posts about how disconnecting it can mess things up. In ours the battery was replaced maybe a year ago, and I don't recall anything happening as a result. But now I am thinking of looking into this "memory saver" thing before I work on the t-stat.

Anyways, that was off topic. Seriously, daily driver or not, I wouldn't be driving that again until I was driving it to a repair shop. I'm not good enough to diagnose what that sound is, but that is NOT what I thought it might have been. To me that sounds like something hitting something it shouldn't in the valve train.

I'm not saying its going to be cheap, easy, or quick, but I know what won't be cheap, easy and quick and that's if something major breaks before you can get it looked at. Been there, done that, been in your situation before. Turned into a motor replacement that went bad, that I "couldn't be without because it was my daily", that ended in me trading it in for what I owed on it which wasn't much, and eating the cost of the motor replacement on my credit card. I ended up with a brand new lease (that I paid way too much for never owning anything), not enough miles to cover, that resulted in my not driving "my" car for the last year before I turned it.

Word of advice. Find a reputable shop (ask your instructor maybe?) and take it in, ask your folks/friends for help in the meantime. Thats all I got.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Mine makes a noise very similar to that, not quite as low-pitched, but otherwise very similar.

It is definitely coming from the timing chain cover and I've used a stethescope to check all the other pulleys, pumps, etc.

I think that mine may be the chain guide on the top of the cover and I'm waiting warmer weather to pull it off and see. Hopefully it is not the entire tensioner, that is a big job and I'd have to get another of my 5 vehicles running to replace the TB for a while.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Very good advice tpc. I think my next plan is calling up my family's trusted mechanic and I'll ask him to look at it Saturday. I think I'm starting to realize now that this is not something that I can just keep ignoring. I need a pro to look at it/fix it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
IllogicTC said:
I dunno, I'm lost. Where's May03LT :rotfl:

I was never here!
90151459.gif

Revans381996 said:
If I was to do this job I can just see my car sitting in the shop over a month with me getting frustrated.

I hear ya. If it is timing related, the inspection alone can be time consuming since you won't be able to see much unless the front cover is off. And just about every DIY'er who went that far into the engine has had a problem getting the crank pulley off. Plus I think someone already mentioned that if it is timing related, we'd expect a cam/crank code.

I like what tpc said. It might pay to get a second opinion before committing.:yes:

If you're going to try the stethoscope, here's where everything is behind the front cover.

timingparts_zps6cc4ac70.gif

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
May03lt: do you have any opinions on what this noise could be? Do you think it has to do with the timing chain/tensioner/guide? Also thank you so much for all of your YouTube videos. They have helped me immensely.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Revans381996 said:
May03lt: do you have any opinions on what this noise could be? Do you think it has to do with the timing chain/tensioner/guide? Also thank you so much for all of your YouTube videos. They have helped me immensely.

That's one of those things that I'd have to hear for myself (and go over with a stethoscope) before condemning anything. When I saw you put your hand on the front of the valve cover it made me think that you had a feeling it was up front. I wish I had a "fast and easy" 3 minute answer but I don't.

I'm glad you got some use of the videos! Be sure to rate, comment, spam forums, donate to my patreon, and turn off adblock before watching. Just kidding, don't do any of that.:biggrin:

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Yeah its defiantly up front. That's why I put my hand over the front of the valve cover. When I put my hand on the front of the valve cover I feel a vibration almost like the chain is hitting the top of the valve cover.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Well I've got some good news... I called up my family's mechanic and he said to just bring my trailblazer down tomorrow and he said he would look at it for free. I'm just happy I might get some more insight on what's going on tomorrow. Thank you all for your help and I'll keep the thread updated on what's going on. Also glad I finally realized this isn't just a problem I can keep on ignoring.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
The mechanic I went to has no idea what that noise is. He said he's never heard a noise like that before in his life. So I guess I'm just gonna have to find a better mechanic

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Ugg, sorry to hear, that sucks.

Don't want to be all negative nancy, but I would start preparing for the worst. I had an issue with a car once that according to a mechanic "friend" needed a "valve job". Well I paid said friend lots of $$ to do a full engine rebuild because I liked the car and wanted to keep it (and it wasn't going to cost me much more, plus I had the $$ on hand). I was assured how great it would be. Well months later after I got it back, and because he used all reman parts on it I made it a half mile down the street before it overheated and I had to shut it down...I ended up getting it running myself.

The point of the story is, after I got it running it made a weird noise. Not weird like yours, but weird in its own right. Every shop I went to told me it was either the trans or the engine and they wouldn't know until they replaced one or the other...and then it might be the other one! So I cut my losses at that point and sold it to the first person I could fine that wanted it, which was actually pretty quick. I'm sure they got a decent car with a little work (as I am fairly certain it had something to do with the clutch), but it was just becoming a money pit and I couldn't see going any further with it.

Your case is different, because to me that's definitely only an engine deal. The thing is I wouldn't be surprised if the "fix" involves something expensive that may not actually be the fix. Or that it could start off fairly inexpensive that leads to more expensive. But my experiences have led me to the more cynical path with respects to this so for the most part I plan for the worst.

Revans381996

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
I mean I agree with you 100% but I really don't know what to do at this point. If no mechanic can figure out what the noise is idk how I'm gonna get it fixed. Maybe I'll just wait till it dies then I'll put a new engine in it. Might as well try as I would have nothing to lose and I'm sure I could get a little help at school.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online