throttle body "take up"...

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I thought I would do some general maintenance. I cleaned the throttle body last spring (1.5 years) so I thought it would be good to look at it again. It was a bit dirty but not as bad as the original cleaning (truck previously used, no maintenance details). Anyways, I was lightly checking the butterfly just to see if there was any detectable binding or such in its movement. None detected although I didn't force the issue to full open as some have suggested that the "subtending control motor / gearing" may not appreciate the "manual workout".... :smile:
I did however detect some "play" which I would describe more as "take up" or "windup" kind of like on a drive train when one turns a wheel by hand and doesn't get any resistance / little resistance until the subtending mechanical linkages "take up" any gapping from wear / design.
I could detect maybe 1/16 or so (less) movement in the plate before I could feel the spring / gearing start to "takeup". Its not "flopping in air"... but maybe if there was a way to cause it to stay open without touching the plate. I am not sure this is an issue but wasn't really expecting to feel any "takeup" although I can't say I know what to expect in a "fly by wire throttle control" system. Anyone have any comment on whether this is usual. I checked the screws and plate, no issue. Related, the controller has what appear to be "clip holders" on a plastic cover, which appear to be removable. Is there any serviceable stuff under there? I assume that the whole throttle body unit is replaced as a whole as opposed to components but again don't know what can be done as opposed to what GM recommends.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, I never noticed this myself but I could see those gears inside wearing a bit and allowing some play. I'd just leave it unless it's throwing codes.

Reactions: Redbeard and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online