Throttle Body question - 06 9-7x 4.2i

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hello All,

So i have been noticing something for quite some time. Been reading a few posts from searches but have not seen this explained.

2 years ago I got an engine light stating something with the t-body. Looked it up and it was a dirty t-body that needed cleaning.

I went online, viewed videos and did the whole pcm reset while taking off t-body and cleaning and putting back on and letting it idle til it settled.

Not sure if t-body is going out or not but I have a PCM of NC tune and sometimes when it is cold the acceleration is really good but notice that sometimes when I step on it there is a lag which should not be with the tune.

Truck is regularly maintained and kept up.

Could this be the t-body telling me it needs to be replaced? Feels like sometimes it does not open wide throttle when I step on it, especially when it is hot.

Thanks in advance.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Notice if your fan clutch it's locked when you notice the lag? Decent roar on acceleration during that time? Since it especially happens when it's hot?

Generally if something is actually wrong with the throttle body it's toast. Works or it doesn't. As soon as the computer sees anything bad wrong with any component in throttle control it'll throw the reduced engine power light and limit you.

Could try cleaning it again if you haven't cleaned it in two years now. Wouldn't hurt. But I'd be inclined to think your fan clutch is locking to cool it down and slow acceleration is the side affect due to the massive drag.

Reactions: Berns and Mooseman

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Odds are that if the throttle body was failing you'd get another code. How many miles have you put on it since you cleaned it? It may have gotten gummed up again. Some owners cleaned theirs every 30k miles or so. When it's hot, the buildup can get kind of sticky, causing the butterfly plate to lag a little on response.

Reactions: Berns and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My '02 had that lag, different TB's, clean or not. My '07 doesn't. Both tuned. I think age may have something to do with it. The '02 had 300k km and the '07 just 100k km. The lag would happen only if it had been idling a bit and stationary. Driving was no issue.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Better to just pull the two pcm fuses to keep everything inside from resetting including the hvac causing the possible actuator death sweep.

Reactions: Berns

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Odds are that if the throttle body was failing you'd get another code. How many miles have you put on it since you cleaned it? It may have gotten gummed up again. Some owners cleaned theirs every 30k miles or so. When it's hot, the buildup can get kind of sticky, causing the butterfly plate to lag a little on response.

I rarely drive it and I think I put about 6K miles since I cleaned it. I drive it less than 3K miles a year. The only thing is that I did not take off and clean again when I tuned it but I hardly drove it to get it gummed up.

Notice if your fan clutch it's locked when you notice the lag? Decent roar on acceleration during that time? Since it especially happens when it's hot?

Generally if something is actually wrong with the throttle body it's toast. Works or it doesn't. As soon as the computer sees anything bad wrong with any component in throttle control it'll throw the reduced engine power light and limit you.

Could try cleaning it again if you haven't cleaned it in two years now. Wouldn't hurt. But I'd be inclined to think your fan clutch is locking to cool it down and slow acceleration is the side affect due to the massive drag.

I have checked that and it might be locking up but there is no roar coming from the the fan.

I will pay close attention to this as I diagnose it.

My '02 had that lag, different TB's, clean or not. My '07 doesn't. Both tuned. I think age may have something to do with it. The '02 had 300k km and the '07 just 100k km. The lag would happen only if it had been idling a bit and stationary. Driving was no issue.

Funny cause my 02 TB base model with 3.73s with no limited slip was very quick. I stepped on it and it flew even with AC blasting. Miss it but sold when I got t-boned and decided to stop putting money in it.

I bought off some non-car guy so I don't think it was tuned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest