Thoughts on Projectors.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
littleblazer said:
They're great, and yes I'm running a relay harness.
Strange. I have the same issue with my fog lights sometimes and I am using a relay harness as well. Never with my headlights though. Typically hitting the unlock button on the fob at night, one of the fog lights would flicker or not come on at all. After just recently replacing my battery this week, the flicker or not firing has went away.

Mounce said:
You might aren't to email them about it, they might replace it for you. My cheap Ebay ballasts fire every single time. I'd be pissed if a $110 set of ballasts didn't. :02:
Its not that simple. TRS will want to to complete a few trouble shooting steps before sending a new warranty replacement. For example, they will want you to take the passenger side ballast and install it on the driver's side to see if the issue follows the ballast.

If the issue stays on the passenger side, then there might be an issue with the relay harness or the HID bulb itself. If thats the case, I would remove the relay harness from the equation and hook the OE inputs directly to the ballast to see what happens. If it fires everytime, then you know there is an issue with the relay harness.

I have dealt with their warranty department a few times and it is easier and quicker to provide them with all of the trouble shooting steps you have taken to narrow down the issue. If they agree with your process, then they will have a warranty replacement out in the mail the next day.

With the arranty replacement, there is other criteria that has to be met. For example, if the HID is bad, they will want you to cut the ground wire on the outside of the HID glass tube, take a picture of the wire cut and the base of the bulb showing the brand. This saves from people taking advantage of their customer service. The same goes for a bad ballast. They will want the pig tails cut and a picture as well. A rep from the warranty department will send you an email and pic of what needs to happen to your defective item before they send out a replacement.

Just make sure you do the trouble shooting ahead of time before contacting them :twocents:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Strange. I have the same issue with my fog lights sometimes and I am using a relay harness as well. Never with my headlights though. Typically hitting the unlock button on the fob at night, one of the fog lights would flicker or not come on at all. After just recently replacing my battery this week, the flicker or not firing has went away.

Its not that simple. TRS will want to to complete a few trouble shooting steps before sending a new warranty replacement. For example, they will want you to take the passenger side ballast and install it on the driver's side to see if the issue follows the ballast.

If the issue stays on the passenger side, then there might be an issue with the relay harness or the HID bulb itself. If thats the case, I would remove the relay harness from the equation and hook the OE inputs directly to the ballast to see what happens. If it fires everytime, then you know there is an issue with the relay harness.

I have dealt with their warranty department a few times and it is easier and quicker to provide them with all of the trouble shooting steps you have taken to narrow down the issue. If they agree with your process, then they will have a warranty replacement out in the mail the next day.

With the arranty replacement, there is other criteria that has to be met. For example, if the HID is bad, they will want you to cut the ground wire on the outside of the HID glass tube, take a picture of the wire cut and the base of the bulb showing the brand. This saves from people taking advantage of their customer service. The same goes for a bad ballast. They will want the pig tails cut and a picture as well. A rep from the warranty department will send you an email and pic of what needs to happen to your defective item before they send out a replacement.

Just make sure you do the trouble shooting ahead of time before contacting them :twocents:
It only seems to be when the bulbs aren't allowed to cool between fires. But they should still work. I'll give them a call this weekend.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know HIDs generally don't like being turned off and on rapidly. I have my perimeter lighting disabled when I disabled auto lights (it thinks it is always daytime, fine by me) so I've actually never had my lights on for a few seconds, then off and back on fairly quickly again. Never had a failure to kick on with them (Morimoto from TRS).

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
From my experience, at least with the Morimoto brand, they perform better once they are warm. Its only when they are cold and temps are below 30°F that I see the issue with the fogs. Once they are warmed up I have no issues.

Sparky is right, HIDs do not like being turned off and on rapidly which is why they are not a good option for hi beams and you never see an auto manufacturer put them in the hi beams. Bi xenon projectors if anything. Since he is not firing rapidly, I doubt that has anything to do with littleblazers issue.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My Morimotos haven't failed to fire even in subzero temps, for what it is worth.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Im with sparky on Morimotos thats all I use personally they seem to warm up faster and have never not turned on compared to others ive used

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sparky said:
My Morimotos haven't failed to fire even in subzero temps, for what it is worth.
I agree. I am only referring to my Morimoto 880 HIDs in the fogs with the vehicle not running. They only did it when I hit the unlock button at night and it was typically the driver's side that would flicker since I have the 6 hi mod done.

Since I have replaced my battery this week, they fire every time I hit the unlock button so far. Maybe the issue was more the battery than any part of the HID kit.

With the vehicle running, I have never had a Morimoto HID not fire right up even when it was below zero temps.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
The video of the rapid fire test is what made me question it in the first place. I'm in no hurry. Since normally I'm not one to complain, but they have a five year warranty, I'd I prefer to have any issues sorted out earlier rather than later. On a side note, the issue seems to be when it's warmer out like in the thirties rather than colder like the teens. So I dunno perhaps it's a bulb maybe the ballast. I ordered a spare set of bulbs to keep at the house, since they aren't exactly readily avaiable. And I ruled out a weak relay since voltage was present at the leads, at least the last time I checked. I'll look into it deeper this weekend.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Low voltage can definitely make it not fire.

You can test a full voltage with a meter but the meter won't pull much. If there is a connection issue somewhere the high current draw can cause voltage droop across it.

Reactions: Mounce

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I'll also check voltage with it running and compare the readouts at both sides, if they're equal, I'll switch the bulbs, since the ballasts are kinda a pain to remove with the industrial double stick tape. If it follows the bulb, it's the bulb, if not, ballast/igniter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I used industrial strength velcro for that reason. I had gone through the double sided industrial tape thing on my old car with my old (cheapo) HIDs and what a huge pain it was to get those things off lol.

Hopefully it is something real simple.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Yea. Hopefully I can heat it with the heat gun and it may let off, if I need to that is...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online