Thoughts on lighting up cup holders

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi, I'm bored because I'm out of work for another 5 weeks or so. I had a list of 73 items to fix or do to my '06 Envoy. I'm waiting for parts on a few things so i have some time to work on something fun.
Having done a lot of the usual stuff LED Mods, Sway Bars, Painted engine bay parts, etc... I want to try something that some people might think is lame, but if it's done right, I think it can be cool.
A lot of new cars come with lighted cup holders now, so I was going to attempt to do it to my Envoy and I was hoping someone might have a great idea on the best way to go about this? LED strip lighting is an option but would need to be toned WAY down which can be accomplished with the correct resistor or a potentiometer to allow adjustments. I'm also considering cutting very narrow slots (Or maybe small holes) around the inside rim, in a nice way that wouldn't be noticeable unless you're looking for it. Then lighting behind the slots, something like that.
I'm just kicking around ideas and I know there are a lot of people who are smarter and a lot more creative than me on this board, so I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone has a great idea and wants to share it with me. Anyway, thank You in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: snoozer

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What would be cool (but harder to do possibly) is to do an acrylic ring around the holder, with the visible surface lightly sanded, which is then lit by a few LEDs. That would act as a nice diffuser and wouldn't be little points of light like a regular strip or slots would be.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What about using those stick-on LED strips? Would have to toned way down though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.