Thoughts on Gibson Exhaust...

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I am debating on changing out my exhaust from the Cat to the tailpipe, I dont want to invest too much in The system and I think the Gibson is right in my price range. What do you think? I may also change the Cat too... To magnaflow on that. This is all just a future mod, So I dont plan on buying it just yet.. Here is a good video on the Gibson. Let me Know what you guys think! Thanks

[video=youtube;42A0lRs3hbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42A0lRs3hbM[/video]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I give :2thumbsup: on magnaflow :yes: I seriously say if you do that get a magnaflow exhaust! It will sound pretty good :yes:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
I give :2thumbsup: on magnaflow :yes: I seriously say if you do that get a magnaflow exhaust! It will sound pretty good :yes:

What the Cat and Gibson Exhaust? Or The Magnaflow cat? or Magnaflow exhaust? Got me kinda confused lol:redface:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03envoy said:
What the Cat and Gibson Exhaust? Or The Magnaflow cat? or Magnaflow exhaust? Got me kinda confused lol:redface:

I'd say Magnaflow

I just did a price search for my Envoy and the whole kitten caboodle minus the cat converter was over $800.00 :eek:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
03envoy said:

I would do Magnaflow for both! It's a great brand :yes: but if your not looking to spend much I would leave the cat as is and do just a magna flow muffler where the reso is not and put a magnaflow tip on there! I mean you can do both of those installed for maybe less then $150 or yourself for like less then $100

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I want to replace the entire exhaust and not just the Res or muffler.... I would do it all myself... Yes Voymom, Its freaking expensive thats why I steered away from them an Borla. Borla is a grand. The JBA sounds like an imported ricer piece of...Junk.:lipsrsealed:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Honestly for the price...I would go with one of these :biggrin:

6ab001d8.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
03envoy said:
I am debating on changing out my exhaust from the Cat to the tailpipe, I dont want to invest too much in The system and I think the Gibson is right in my price range. What do you think? I may also change the Cat too... To magnaflow on that. This is all just a future mod, So I dont plan on buying it just yet.. Here is a good video on the Gibson. Let me Know what you guys think! Thanks

[video=youtube;42A0lRs3hbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42A0lRs3hbM[/video]

The owner of that video used to be a member on the OS, but things changed once he got married, and he faded away :duh: I got to hear his exhaust at one of our meets a couple years back, and it's pretty sweet. I've heard the Flowmaster and Gibson exhausts personally for our 4.2s, and give the edge to the Gibson. I just wish they made a single in, dual out for the Gibson like they have for the Flowmasters, then it would be a pretty easy decision between the 2 for me. Wish I knew someone with a Magnaflow for the 4.2 so I could check that out too :undecided:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Blckshdw said:
The owner of that video used to be a member on the OS, but things changed once he got married, and he faded away :duh: I got to hear his exhaust at one of our meets a couple years back, and it's pretty sweet. I've heard the Flowmaster and Gibson exhausts personally for our 4.2s, and give the edge to the Gibson. I just wish they made a single in, dual out for the Gibson like they have for the Flowmasters, then it would be a pretty easy decision between the 2 for me. Wish I knew someone with a Magnaflow for the 4.2 so I could check that out too :undecided:
I dont think its worth the $800 to a $1000:no: for the benefits they give.... If you gained power then yes It would be worth it....

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I would get a dual output muffler and have a custom exhaust made with the tips dumping just after the rear wheel well. IMO it would look better, I could choose my muffler, and be cheaper than any of the after market exhausts.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
03envoy said:
I dont think its worth the $800 to a $1000:no: for the benefits they give.... If you gained power then yes It would be worth it....

You're probably right. But I'm the type of person that likes to have a lot of information at my disposal (I'm a database admin :crazy:) even if what I've got so far is probably what I need. :cool:

05tbowner

Feb 8, 2012
I have a gibson exhaust on my TB. I love it, and I love the way it sounds. Plus I only paid $200 for it used.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I personally like the more "subtleness" of the Gibson. While it still retains a slight bark, it's still mellow and doesn't sound crackly or whatever. When my last boss was looking for exhaust for his silverado, he decided on a Gibson after numerous visits and soundclips ....I know it's a V8, but the Gibson just sounded the best.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Ever since I spent a little time under the TB a few weeks ago and noticed the holes in the front and back of the muffler (probably where my 55-60 mph drone is coming from), I've been watching just about every video of TB exhaust on youtube. My general thoughts are the Gibson sounds decent, however I asked the guy in the above video and he mentioned he gets a drone at expressway speed. That would get old on a long trip real quick. Also, I don't like the side exit, I like straight out the back. Every video I find of Flowmasters sound rediculous to me. I don't mind the exhaust getting a bit louder when revved or accelerating hard, but some are just plain loud and tinny sounding. I do like the sound of the Borla catback, but I don't really need duals, and I certainly don't want to pay the Borla price tag. That's the best sounding exhaust to me though. Enough throat when on the gas, but it doesn't idle like a Honda either. Still trying to decide what will work for me

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
SBUBandit said:
Ever since I spent a little time under the TB a few weeks ago and noticed the holes in the front and back of the muffler (probably where my 55-60 mph drone is coming from), I've been watching just about every video of TB exhaust on youtube. My general thoughts are the Gibson sounds decent, however I asked the guy in the above video and he mentioned he gets a drone at expressway speed. That would get old on a long trip real quick. Also, I don't like the side exit, I like straight out the back. Every video I find of Flowmasters sound rediculous to me. I don't mind the exhaust getting a bit louder when revved or accelerating hard, but some are just plain loud and tinny sounding. I do like the sound of the Borla catback, but I don't really need duals, and I certainly don't want to pay the Borla price tag. That's the best sounding exhaust to me though. Enough throat when on the gas, but it doesn't idle like a Honda either. Still trying to decide what will work for me

Instead of starting a new thread, I am in your boat also. I does sound like it would give a little drone at highway and I take alot of long trips.... I was thinking about doing my own Cat-Back but Idk how that would work because I dont have access to supplies like pipe bending stuff. I think I may just go with a flowmaster 50 or 40 series, And leave the res on. This may get me where I want and I wont have a drone because the resonator should stop that. It doesnt bother me to look at it either. It offers no performance gains also. what do you think???:undecided:

Would the 50 series be too loud on the highway???

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Thoughts on Gibson:

Cool sounding Muffler... Cool looking Tail-Pipe...
HeadPipe is a fail... both the #315597 & #315599 kits don't fit the EXT models.

Gibson leaves a lot to desire when it comes to Customer Service.... If they could only produce results as well as the produce excuses,,,

I would buy the kit again,,, since only Gibson offers the only Side-Swipe for the TB.... but I'll know next time that I'll need to fabricate a HeadPipe and know not to call their Customer Service.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.