Thoughts on blisteins in the rear and Monroe up front?

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
I have a 06 TB 2wd. I've already purchased the blisteins rear shocks but I'm still on the fence about what to go with up front. I know the general consensus is blisteins all the way around but I really like the idea of the Monroe quick strut because it comes with new everything. My TB is my daily and I don't off road and don't tow anything. So do you think I'd be okay with the possible Frankenstein setup?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Should be fine. The rear may be a bit stiffer, but likely nothing you will notice since you dont tow or wheel it.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could get a quick strut from Monroe for our platform. At least mine, an EXT V8.

I seem to recall KYB makes one, though.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could get a quick strut from Monroe for our platform. At least mine, an EXT V8.

I seem to recall KYB makes one, though.
Amazon has one, but I'd be interested to see the kyb one if you have a link.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The struts are all the same across the line minus the Saab and SS.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I run Radflo coilovers up front and Skyjacker springs and Bilstein rears.

i went years with bilstein up front and several different rear shock combos.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I did the Monroe struts and rear shocks. I should have got OEM springs and bilstein shocks, oh well next time....

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
It's okay but a little soft for my liking, truck doesn't handle as well going though curves quick. OEM set up when new was much better than these monroes.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ebay, Amazon, Gmpartsdirect, dealership... Lots of places you can buy them and there are several part numbers of varying strength springs as well.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
So I decided to bite the bullet and go with what I really wanted, which was the Blistein HD's. Now after watching a few videos on how to do the replacement, I was wondering if there is a way to remove the strut by just removing the upper yoke arm that the bottom of the strut sits in?

Basically what I'm asking is, is there a way to get the strut out by just taking the bolt out of the part circled in red. Or do I also have to unbolt the part in blue? Also do I have to pop the balljoint out of the upper control arm in either scenario?

strut1.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's actually easier to separate them with both out of the truck together as you have to whack on it to separate them after removing the pinch bolt. Also helps to spread the ears with a chisel.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
It's actually easier to separate them with both out of the truck together as you have to whack on it to separate them after removing the pinch bolt. Also helps to spread the ears with a chisel.
Is there an easy way to get the bottom one off if I do go that route? I hear its a bitch to get that one to come off with out a puller.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've had luck just whacking it with a big hammer, similar to removing ball joints and tie rods. Pitman arm puller also works but I once damaged the stud threads and had to fix it up before I could screw the nut back on.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Big chisel and a few wacks on the bottom of the strut and it'll pop right out of that pinch bolt.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sometimes they pop and others you fight til you want to burn the truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86