Thoughts about the 2022 2.7L turbo + 8-speed transmission Silverado?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Looked at new trucks yesterday because I was on dealership row for another mission. One local dealer has some 2022 Silverado Custom Crew Cab Short Bed with the 2.7 engine. They are possibly(?) a good deal, I think though because the 2.7 is less preferred.

Towing capacity is 9000# though, which would be a decent increase from whatever I actually have in the Trailblazer now. Mostly I am thinking about getting deeper into the travel trailer game.

Their inventory doesn't have the NHT rpo, which includes additional transmission and engine oil coolers. Actually the chart says the 2.7 does not come with NHT in any cab/bed configuration.

Obvs the 5.3 has a lot of history. And you can get the 5.3 with NHT, but the only inventory within 500 miles with NHT is the 6.2. 6.2 + NHT + 20-inch wheels delivers the max 13,300# towing. Not that I need that much.

Anyway, it looks like the 2.7 is only a few years old, looks like it got some updates for 2022, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I don't have experience w/ that platform. Moose has one of the current-gen, but I don't know if he drove the 4-cylinder or not, while he was shopping tow vehicles.

I'm guessing you'd probably find more 'real world' accounts over on Silverado/Sierra, or GMFullSize, etc.

As for my own thoughts... if it really can pull 9000 lb adequately, and that's what you're going to use the truck for... I wouldn't tell you 'not' to do it. You'll have the benefit of the heavier-duty frame, bigger brakes, whatever towing aids are on that platform, etc..

Keep in mind that you'll probably be working that powertrain a bit hard, the closer you get to its limits (as with any truck). But if you're the same member who we were chatting with about towing a couple of weeks ago (couples trailer, 30ft or less, etc.) -- this could (?) fill your need. I have no idea what mpg would be like, loaded.

I'll say that I'm not fond of direct injection, except for implementations like Toyota is doing -- they use both traditional fuel injection and direct, depending on what's called for (DI favors higher speed / continuous, while traditional FI is better for lower speed / stop & start). I'm guessing this engine uses DI. So that would give me some hesitation -- but that's 'me'.

IIRC, GM envisioned this engine as supplanting the 5.3L (as well as the V6), and they cut down the number of offerings that have the 5.3L as a result. So if you want the V8, you have to go with the big 6.2L. For you, that motor would be overkill, unless you're thinking you might go with a bigger trailer down the line. If you think a 5'er might be in your future... only then, I'd go with the 6.2L. But I'd personally prefer a 5.3L over the turbo 4, b/c I can wrench on it easier. YMMV.

The best thing would be if you could get your hands on one to put a trailer behind, and see for yourself over a day or two. But that's difficult to do.

From what I hear, the 2.7L isn't selling as well as GM had hoped. But that may be exacerbated by the supply chain (computer chip) issues all of the mfg's have had the last couple of years, too. Because the supply is limited, they've been going into the more profitable trim levels, at the expense of everything else. It'll probably be another year before they're 'back to normal'.

One last thing -- while this might not be the best time to buy a new truck... it's a better time than for a new travel trailer / RV. Lots are full now, and I expect that market to shake out a lot of people who bought the last couple of years at the top. Next year would land better deals, as a result.
Finally, the 'traditional advice' is that if you need both a tow vehicle, and a trailer -- to get the tow vehicle first; it'll guide what you can get WRT the trailer. So I think you're better to shop truck, then trailer. Just one person's opinion.

Reactions: 6716 and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's my experience. I have the LM2 3.0 turbo diesel and it rocks for pulling our 6500# trailer. It also has just a 9000# towing capacity but it has the torque at 460 lb/ft. And get this, for 2023, it's been bumped up to 490 with the next generation LZ0 and HP went from 270 to 310 (just going from memory on all these numbers, at the cottage right now). Towing I get a solid 15L/100km or more (16 MPG) and that's on moderately hilly terrain. I get better than 10L/100km (24 mpg) average unloaded. I've even gotten down to 6L/100 (39 MPG) average however that was probably highway going downhill with a tailwind.

I have nothing to say but good experiences with this truck and engine. Some balk at having to drop the tranny to replace the oil pump belt at 150k miles but that could be extended to 200k miles as that's what is the new interval is for the new LZ0. Haven't heard of anyone having major issues with this engine except for the occasional oddball failure. There were some issues with the cam reluctor wheel and some blowing the crank seal but that has since been rectified. The only real complaint I have heard is the poor engine braking but that's not a major thing for me. And in 2022 that increased its towing capacity to 12k lbs so yeah, it's capable.

I have no experience or knowledge and don't have the numbers for the 2.7 gas turbo but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the torque. And the 8 speed has a history of problems, shuddering and similar complaints. My 10 speed has been flawless and similarly no complaints I have heard of so far.

Now the bad news. The LZ0 equipped trucks will be expensive and difficult to get because they are so popular. And the LZ0 is the first with steel pistons for the increased power so a new engine and untested. At least mine had a couple of years out before I got mine so some knowledge. There may be some LM2 trucks still out there. They might be frowned upon as soon as they mention diesel because of the higher cost of fuel. However the better MPG makes up for it to a point. It certainly is cheaper to tow with than ANY gasser.

For any towing, I'm never going back to gas.

Reactions: 6716

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I drove one.. And loved it! Awesome power, and other then the exhaust note being completely uninspiring, I would consider getting one.. But a truck is to big for me..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
6700# max tow? Might as well keep the TB. I'm not too sure these guys are completely honest. They sound like typical truck tv gurus that are just flapping their gums for the mfgs. And that mpg was horrible. That motor would be working hard all the time. And it doesn't leave any extra towing capacity.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I did the same stretch of I-80 back in 1999 with my 305 SBC swapped YJ Wrangler. The Jeep had no problems keeping 55 with a trailer with two dual sport bikes.....but it felt 'hollow' the higher it went until the tunnel at 11,158 feet. At that point I had dropped it down to third to keep pace. Ike's a killer.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I did the same stretch of I-80 back in 1999 with my 305 SBC swapped YJ Wrangler. The Jeep had no problems keeping 55 with a trailer with two dual sport bikes.....but it felt 'hollow' the higher it went until the tunnel at 11,158 feet. At that point I had dropped it down to third to keep pace. Ike's a killer.
This stretch of road is where I intend to 'measure' the Sierra and establish a 'baseline'. Although I may not run it the same way these guys do (stopwatch timing). It would make more sense for me to do it on the way back in the spring (plus, eastbound is supposed to be tougher) but weather might play a part in doing it at that time.

6700# max tow? Might as well keep the TB. I'm not too sure these guys are completely honest. They sound like typical truck tv gurus that are just flapping their gums for the mfgs. And that mpg was horrible. That motor would be working hard all the time. And it doesn't leave any extra towing capacity.
Looks like they were testing a previous year model. The current year model has the 9000 # capability, and a 20-something % boost in power. The TQ numbers on the 2.7 sound like fantasy -- over 400 (!) @ 2600-3000 rpm (I forget). And > 300 HP @ 5600 rpm.

That said... you can get the 5.3L all the way down to the WT model. I did a 'build and price', and config'd a 4-door w/ 6ft bed (extra cab? not the crew), 5.3L w/ 10AT (w/ no AFM!), 4WD, cloth seats, towing pkg (but not 'max tow', or the fancy 14-way rear cam), and even spent the $400 extra for the blue paint... for under $46K msrp. Got a 'value' package that gave me power / heated mirrors, so it would be easy to swap in the tow mirrors, too.

Not sure if it would make more sense to option up another trim for similar money, but if I were in the market for a dedicated tow vehicle -- that'd be my choice. In a normal market, you could get this for maybe $37K or so. If you're not going to drive in snow or off-road... forego the 4WD and save another $5,000. (not sure on pricing).

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the discussion. I agree with @TollKeeper that it drives nice. I think the big knock on it is longevity and maintenance, and I don't think I would buy the 2.7 used. Something about the direct injection related to the turbo causes carbon buildup, and even with perfect maintenance (which I think means spot-on oil changes?, maybe plugs? not entirely sure there) it is susceptible to carbon buildup in the intake manifold and vales, which can't be cheap to remedy. 80k or so is when that is talked about showing up.

Also the AFM is problematic it is said. Parts don't last, and when they need to be replaced, they replace them with the same parts that didn't last the last time. Can be tuned out though.

2022 2.7 has 9000# max tow, the story is it does better than Chevy thought it would? or something. But they upped the tow numbers.

I'm probably thinking the 5.3 or the 6.0 from here. The good news is I don't need to buy at the moment. The camping season is wrapping up and I have my trips planed for the Trailblazer already. And then it's winter, and I don't see towing anything until spring. The problem with driving a new truck is then I want the new truck. I don't need a new truck yet, so I think I'll stick and stay with what I'm running for now.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
2022 2.7 has 9000# max tow, the story is it does better than Chevy thought it would? or something. But they upped the tow numbers.
Looks like they did the same as with my LM2 3.0 babyMax. They first rated it to 9000# and then for 2022, bumped it to 13000#. May get further bumped with the new LZ0's increased torque. The limiting factor may be the 10 speed tranny so maybe they'll go to the Allison? They'd probably also have to upgrade the brakes to meet the J2807 towing standards. It would be getting close to 2500 territory.

Also the AFM is problematic it is said. Parts don't last, and when they need to be replaced, they replace them with the same parts that didn't last the last time. Can be tuned out though.
I forgot about that. And we all know how reliable that is :frown: . Checked on HPTuner's site and I didn't see the 2.7 as supported (neither is my 3.0). And even if it was supported, it's become more expensive to tune these newer ones as the 19-21 V8 PCMs require that they be sent in for unlocking for $700USD. May need to use a Range AFM disabler if it's supported. And there's also Auto Stop/Start that's annoying as hell but that can also be disabled with a simple add-on (I have it, works great).

Watching this video, he mentions the mileage on this engine and it's only 16/18 MPG. WTF? Kinda reminds me of people that complained about the 4.2L I6 that it should be better because it's just a 6 cyl. He even says it's not any better than the V8's.

With all that, no wonder it's not selling.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the discussion. I agree with @TollKeeper that it drives nice. I think the big knock on it is longevity and maintenance, and I don't think I would buy the 2.7 used. Something about the direct injection related to the turbo causes carbon buildup, and even with perfect maintenance (which I think means spot-on oil changes?, maybe plugs? not entirely sure there) it is susceptible to carbon buildup in the intake manifold and vales, which can't be cheap to remedy. 80k or so is when that is talked about showing up.

I'm probably thinking the 5.3 or the 6.0 from here. The good news is I don't need to buy at the moment. The camping season is wrapping up and I have my trips planed for the Trailblazer already. And then it's winter, and I don't see towing anything until spring. The problem with driving a new truck is then I want the new truck. I don't need a new truck yet, so I think I'll stick and stay with what I'm running for now.

Some 2.7 LEB issues as of recent....not real sure how wide spread it might be from GM Techlink.

Abnormal Engine Tapping Sound

Camshaft Sliding Lobe Pack Binding

Reactions: 6716

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
direct injection related to the turbo causes carbon buildup, and even with perfect maintenance (which I think means spot-on oil changes?, maybe plugs? not entirely sure there) it is susceptible to carbon buildup in the intake manifold and vales, which can't be cheap to remedy. 80k or so is when that is talked about showing up.
Its not so much the turbo, but any GDI engine is suspect to carbon build up in the intake and valves. Its just the nature of it, I've seen it on several different makes/models of engines (non-turbos). The only thing that helps a bit with slowing it down is using Redline or Technron more religiously between fill ups to keep the build up to a minimum.

Otherwise the best thing to do, for anyone mechanically inclined would be to pull the intake off and spray like AC Delco Top Engine Cleaner into the valves and let it soak for a awhile to ensure the carbon is completely removed...or do a Seafoam intake treatment.

I saw this video a while back of someone spraying Top Engine Cleaner through the valve body of their Tahoe, with how potent this stuff is. I don't think its a good idea to it his way. Though I'm curious to hear what @mrrsm think's of this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online