Thoughts about Detroit Axle struts?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Does anyone have experience with these? My friends say the ride feel little bouncy but I don't frankly feel it all that much. I'm not sure if I have factory or aftermarket right now but I am just hoping to know if Detroit Axle struts ride good or if they last.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
They aren't too bad, helped my buddy install a set on his Tahoe. Ride wise, they're on the soft side maybe a hair softer then the originals. It took us a while to install them, because he bought the struts as a pair and the box came with two different sets (one was for his truck, and the other fit an entirely different one). We ended up going to Advanced to buy new bolts since the ones provided weren't close to the correct size.

If you're keeping the truck long term, then I would invest in slightly better shocks/struts. The factory ride on these are supposed to be "floaty"/bouncy. The factory ones are usually black with a "Bilstein" label. The popular go-to ones are the Bilstein blue/yellow shocks/struts, but I found them a bit too stiff for my liking. I put Monroe OESpectrum struts up front, with a "stiffer" Moog spring. IMO its the middle ground of wanting a smooth ride, but is firm enough to handle bumps and whatnot. For the rears, I put KYB Gas-A-Just shocks which are a bit firmer then the Monroe's but its not too noticeable but still makes it pleasant. The KYB struts/shocks are cheap, but a little firmer then the factory ones. When I had my Trailblazer I had them and loved the ride, but wanted something just a hair bit stiffer on the Envoy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online