This is interesting

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've seen this for quite a while now. The 5w-30 has the dexos seal on it so it kind of has to be decent too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to BITOG, it's made by Warren Dist., same as Wally's Supertech. If it has Dexos cert., it must be good IMHO. Neither is available up here though.

A linked article also dispels that brand x is better than brand y. That being said, you can usually find the brands on sale on a regular basis comparable to Amazon's price. I picked up a bunch of Mobil1 5 liter jugs at $20CAD on sale at Wally's.

Reactions: Redbeard

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I've been buying Farm & Fleet's Full Synthetic. On sale it's usually around $2.60.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm not surprised, Amazon has come out with all sorts of generic products spanning all sorts of things. It's likely on-par with any other generic/store brand oil, which are more than fine to use.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would run it!

Reactions: Capote

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I did a bit more digging around. They have a Dexos approved version as well. I'm already a prime member, this is a no-brainer now.

Oops, sorry Little Blazer, you already pointed that out! I need to get new glasses...

Reactions: littleblazer

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
The only thing I would be concerned about if "someone" else placed the same label on cheaper oil. With Amazon not watching there sellers very well (like fake iridium spark plugs recently) I would be concerned about purchasing it from them. The advanced mobil one I use generally is less than $5 qt at Wallyworld (and the mobil one filters $9.99) and I just added up over 800,000 miles of mobil one use in my last 4 vehicles with ZERO problems. I understand what "bob the oil guy" says about today's oil (basically run what you like for it's all good stuff), but when something works well for me I need no reason to change it. Just my 2¢.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The only thing I would be concerned about if "someone" else placed the same label on cheaper oil. With Amazon not watching there sellers very well (like fake iridium spark plugs recently) I would be concerned about purchasing it from them. The advanced mobil one I use generally is less than $5 qt at Wallyworld (and the mobil one filters $9.99) and I just added up over 800,000 miles of mobil one use in my last 4 vehicles with ZERO problems. I understand what "bob the oil guy" says about today's oil (basically run what you like for it's all good stuff), but when something works well for me I need no reason to change it. Just my 2¢.
The Amazon basics products are done through amazon itself. So that would have to happen with their supplier as it just gets shipped directly to fulfillment centers instead of a retailer. So not really a concern.

DocBrown

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just to add to that, see Mooseman's post above.

I have generally not worried too much about the oil itself and have for years just used what synthetic is on sale for my conventional engines. But now we're starting to get into these small turbocharged engines, the recent changes in oil additives (reductions), and the issue of LSPI (low speed pre-ignition). Over the summer we bought a 2016 Buick Encore that my wife mostly drives. It has a 1.4 l turbo charged 153hp engine. It requires synthetic. Given the issue of LSPI I'm going to be sticking with Dexos approved oil once we get the free dealer oil changes behind us.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online