This grinds my gears

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Well first off I'll start by saying I was driving through 6-7 inch deep water through the San Antonio roadways yesterday just fine might I add. I pulled the blazer out of the garage today and when I hit my brakes I hear a severe grinding noise. I pulled the front wheels and the pads are completely brand new. The driver side rotor is warped but nothing along the lines of considering replacement any ideas guys??

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Was there any oxidation on the rotors or anything caught between the pads and rotor? slides still greased? I would think driving through water that deep would make them rust sitting overnight as well as some other components. I'm no expert by any means, but with the warped rotor and driving through water that deep, I'd think the place to start would be there.

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Ok guys scratch everything I mentioned. I looked under the blazer and found the culprit.. The heat shield between the driveshaft and the gas tank was pulled outa place and wedged between the driveshaft. Dunno what the hell happend to it but I was able to salvage it but the 2 clips that hold it on toward the front are pulled away. The plastic set pieces are still there but the little round metal clips are gone darn.. Oh we'll at least it wasn't a major problem. Must've been that flood I drove in yesterday lol

Reactions: JamesL3

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Thanks for the quick response James btw

Reactions: JamesL3

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Yeah, with water that deep your lucky the heat shield was the only issue! Thanks for the update, glad it wasn't major.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I would (SERIOUSLY) check the fluids in your transmission, transfer case, and differentials after driving through that much water. They can suck up water and turn the oil into a milky substance that ruins the internal parts. Water and mud are also hell on wheel bearings. Grit gets into the bearings and acts just like a grinder. If all is good, no harm done. If you see milky coloring to the fluids you just saved yourself thousands of dollars, as an oil change is cheap compared to replacing hard parts!

Our true off-road builts take into account water crossings and mud, so we extend vent lines, etc., on those parts that end up getting submerged and we expect to replace wheel bearings and seals often. Most street drivers don't even think of that stuff...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online