Thinking of lifting my Envoy. Couple questions.

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'm wanting to lift my Envoy and have been browsing around for info. Let me start with telling my intentions, I won't be doing anything crazy just mainly trail riding and occasionally tearing through a muddy field. But I guess more then anything this will mainly be aesthetic. So, I'm thinking I'll go with the MarkMC 2.5 level/lift, also since I'm there I'll replace my struts and shocks with the Bilstein HD's (Front and Rear??? Anyone recommend a different strut/shock combo?) Now with the questions! Should I be okay with my springs in the front? Bags in the rear? Do I need to replace my rear bags with stock rear springs, or can I leave the bags?
My desired tire size is 285/70/17 BFGoddwich AT T/A KO's (First off, is a 285 do-able even with MarkMC spacers? Or would I have to go with 275's? Would I have to use MarkMC spacers with this tire selection? And lastly, I'm thinking I'll put a skid plate on for my oil pan. (Again, aesthetic.) Not sure I will do this but if I decide to can I install an additional spacer up front to counter any sag?

Thank you all very much in advance. :thumbsup: -Joshua

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Joshtradamus said:
Hello everyone,
I'm wanting to lift my Envoy and have been browsing around for info. Let me start with telling my intentions, I won't be doing anything crazy just mainly trail riding and occasionally tearing through a muddy field. But I guess more then anything this will mainly be aesthetic. So, I'm thinking I'll go with the MarkMC 2.5 level/lift

Welcome from Marion :tiphat:

I would go with Mark's 3" kit because it replaces the upper strut mounts (one less thing to replace) and the cost savings should pay for the extra money for the lift. You may not need mounts, but it doesn't hurt to do them while it's apart.

Joshtradamus said:
also since I'm there I'll replace my struts and shocks with the Bilstein HD's (Front and Rear??? Anyone recommend a different strut/shock combo?)

I've heard of problems with the HD's on the rear of lifted trucks, someone better suited to answer will chime in.

Joshtradamus said:
Now with the questions! Should I be okay with my springs in the front? Bags in the rear? Do I need to replace my rear bags with stock rear springs, or can I leave the bags?

Change over to springs

Joshtradamus said:
My desired tire size is 285/70/17 BFGoddwich AT T/A KO's (First off, is a 285 do-able even with MarkMC spacers? Or would I have to go with 275's? Would I have to use MarkMC spacers with this tire selection? And lastly, I'm thinking I'll put a skid plate on for my oil pan. (Again, aesthetic.) Not sure I will do this but if I decide to can I install an additional spacer up front to counter any sag?

Thank you all very much in advance. :thumbsup: -Joshua

With just a suspension lift think 265/70/17 or 255/75/17 and you may need to do a little trimming and/or hammering. Also you'll need wheel spacers for any tire over roughly 30.5" tall

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
6c648d63-5ef8-6a92.jpg

The black one is regulators truck. PM him he will know all ur questions. :thumbsup:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Marks 2.5" lift will be good, I would replace the upper strut mounts while you have everything apart. For the rear, I would go with a "white body" shock. Something along the lines of the BDS 5500 series. 285 tire is going to require wheel wheel spacers, and a good bit of cutting/hammering, as it is close to a 33" tire. Even if you go with Marks 3" lift, you will still need to cut and hammer to get those tires to fit. If it were me I would replace the rear air bags with springs. You will be fine with the Bilstein HD's up front. Oil pan skid plate is a great idea, however a radiator skid is an even better idea. Member BartonMD sells armor that a bunch of us use.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Joshtradamus said:
So, I'm thinking I'll go with the MarkMC 2.5 level/lift, also since I'm there I'll replace my struts and shocks with the Bilstein HD's (Front and Rear??? Anyone recommend a different strut/shock combo?)
A cheap Skyjacker/Rancho shock will do better in the rear with the lift

Now with the questions! Should I be okay with my springs in the front?
For looks Yes.

Bags in the rear?
You can turn the sensors to get your rear lift

Do I need to replace my rear bags with stock rear springs, or can I leave the bags?
See Above

My desired tire size is 285/70/17 BFGoddwich AT T/A KO's (First off, is a 285 do-able even with MarkMC spacers? Or would I have to go with 275's?
I rubbed with 265s and only the 2.5 suspension.

Would I have to use MarkMC spacers with this tire selection?
Yes. As mentioned...anything over 30.5 needs spacers

And lastly, I'm thinking I'll put a skid plate on for my oil pan. (Again, aesthetic.)
That is funny since even with my lift you cant see the oil skid.

Not sure I will do this but if I decide to can I install an additional spacer up front to counter any sag?
Simple answer- No, there are some tricks, but nothing for someone not familiar with lifting these trucks.

I would swap to springs and lose the bags. Could do z71s if you want to lift without spacers in the rear but swap to springs. You should really look at a rad skid from MDB Fab and oil skid if you are going to tear across anything. More important than the lift or tires. Good luck with the 285s...but I am am far less tolerant than many on here about tire fitment. If they rub, then you need more lift or cutting. That includes the flexxing you will find offroad, what works for daily driving is not necessarily fitting in reality.

You should read through some build threads and see what others have done before doing anything.

I may have all you need for a lift and spacers for sale soon. But you may choose a different route after reading what others have done.

Saxis

Apr 30, 2012
Envoys seem to have a little less room in the front fender, so expect to do a little cutting/hammering for anything bigger than about a 31" tire with 2.5-3" lift. With a 33" tire, I'm guessing you'd still have to cut/hammer a bit with 3" suspension AND body lifts. Also, I converted my AirRide to springs. Didn't want to take the chance of damaging a bag, or even the crappy stock compressor failing and being stuck somewhere. I went with 2" BDS + 1/2" shim + Bilstein HDs in front, 2" BDS + Z71s + BDS 5500 shocks in rear and it levels out quite nicely with a very slight rake. My 265/70R17 Duratracs (31.7") needed minor trimming. I cut off the fender/running board tab and trimmed some plastic off the front bumper and zip-tied the fender liners back. I'll soon be replacing my stock 84 springs with 89s though and removing the 1/2" shim up front, and adding AirLift 1000 bags in the rear. Should give me about another 1/2" of lift...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
For regulator's 285s to clear, I know he cut out a couple inches of fender after suspension and body lift and heavier springs(87 I think).

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I got Marks 3", Bilstien HD Struts and SkyJacker Rear Shocks for 454.91 shipped to my door after 2 coupons. When you buy your struts get them from Shockwarehouse and use the promo code Shock55 its either 5% or 10% off. If you decide to go with SkyJacker get em from AutoParts Ware House And use this Coupon APWCART00

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I got my skyjacker's from Amazon because they were backordered everywhere else. I think for the N8030 they were about $50 each with no tax and free shipping.

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Short Bus said:
Welcome from Marion :tiphat:

I would go with Mark's 3" kit because it replaces the upper strut mounts (one less thing to replace) and the cost savings should pay for the extra money for the lift. You may not need mounts, but it doesn't hurt to do them while it's apart.

I've heard of problems with the HD's on the rear of lifted trucks, someone better suited to answer will chime in.

Change over to springs

With just a suspension lift think 265/70/17 or 255/75/17 and you may need to do a little trimming and/or hammering. Also you'll need wheel spacers for any tire over roughly 30.5" tall

I didn't realize the 3" came with new strut mounts, I'll probably end up with the 3" MarkMC with the 275's and make them fit. Also, I'll grab some rear springs for the rear.

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
silvernclean said:
6c648d63-5ef8-6a92.jpg

The black one is regulators truck. PM him he will know all ur questions. :thumbsup:

Sick truck.. Mine is carbon metallic so I'm wanting to do the black look myself. Think I'll be going with a smaller tire though.

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Saxis said:
Envoys seem to have a little less room in the front fender, so expect to do a little cutting/hammering for anything bigger than about a 31" tire with 2.5-3" lift. With a 33" tire, I'm guessing you'd still have to cut/hammer a bit with 3" suspension AND body lifts. Also, I converted my AirRide to springs. Didn't want to take the chance of damaging a bag, or even the crappy stock compressor failing and being stuck somewhere. I went with 2" BDS + 1/2" shim + Bilstein HDs in front, 2" BDS + Z71s + BDS 5500 shocks in rear and it levels out quite nicely with a very slight rake. My 265/70R17 Duratracs (31.7") needed minor trimming. I cut off the fender/running board tab and trimmed some plastic off the front bumper and zip-tied the fender liners back. I'll soon be replacing my stock 84 springs with 89s though and removing the 1/2" shim up front, and adding AirLift 1000 bags in the rear. Should give me about another 1/2" of lift...

Thanks for the info. How much additional lift are you expecting going with the 89's versus the 84's? 1/2 inch?

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I would swap to springs and lose the bags. Could do z71s if you want to lift without spacers in the rear but swap to springs. You should really look at a rad skid from MDB Fab and oil skid if you are going to tear across anything. More important than the lift or tires. Good luck with the 285s...but I am am far less tolerant than many on here about tire fitment. If they rub, then you need more lift or cutting. That includes the flexxing you will find offroad, what works for daily driving is not necessarily fitting in reality.

You should read through some build threads and see what others have done before doing anything.

I may have all you need for a lift and spacers for sale soon. But you may choose a different route after reading what others have done.

Thanks for all the info!! Think I'll swap to springs in the back. For sure interested in the rad skid From MDB. As for the tires, I probably will end up going with a smaller tire.

Saxis

Apr 30, 2012
Joshtradamus said:
Thanks for the info. How much additional lift are you expecting going with the 89's versus the 84's? 1/2 inch?

That's about what I'm expecting, maybe a little less.

For the lifted Carbon Metallic look... :tongue:
rivercar-1.jpg

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I have marks 2.5" lift. 265/70/17's and his spacers. I had to cut about a 1/2" out in the front. Be sure to put hose clamps on the iner boots wile you have it apart. Saves time.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
DSC_2586.jpg

OK, not to disrespect the Trailblazer folks that have posted here but lifting an Envoy is an entirely different beast. Our wheel wells are a lot smaller then the Trailblazers.

First, go with MarkMC's 3" lift. There is nothing better out there! Up front you will want to use the Bilstein HD's. In the rear, get rid of the bags. Rip out the entire system. Post it up here for sell, someone will be able to use it and the money you will make will off set the cost of your mods. For your goals I would suggest using a stock spring in the rear. As stated earlier, use a "white body" rear shock. I used the BDS 5500 model, it had been updated recently though. The replacement is a BDS Fox racing line part number #98224619.

You WILL have to use wheel spacers. Again, go with MsrkMC's adapter/spacers. You will not find anything better for the money.

If you are going to be doing any off-roading then the radiator skid and the oil pan skid are REQUIRED. The lowest point on the vehicle is your drain plug. Very bad things will happen if you catch that on a rock. There is also 2 inches of radiator that is only protected by the plastic bumper cover. Again, very bad things happen if the bumper cover doesn't keep the rocks away!

Finally, tire size. I am running a 285/70/17. I have Marks 2.5" suspension lift, Marks 3" body lift, Z71 rear springs (approximately 1" lift), and 87 springs in the front (approximately 2" of lift I believe). When the shop put my tires on they called me and told me that it wouldn't fit. I argued with them and told them to just mount them and I would make the necessary adjustments when I picked up the truck. When I got there the fenders were sitting on the tires. there was no room to turn at all! I cut 3 inches out of the rear of the fenders and I still have some issues with rubbing.

I tell you all this not to discourage you, but to make sure you know what is really involved. I am not far away, and when you get ready to do the work I will be more then willing to help. I work a whole lot cheaper then a show will, all it takes to get me to work is beer and pizza! Try to make the Midwest Meet. It will be a great time and you will get the opportunity to see mine and many other lifted trucks so that you can really get a feel for what you want to do.

Good luck, I always look forward to seeing another Voy among the ranks of the lifted!!!

Saxis

Apr 30, 2012
Regulator said:
Finally, tire size. I am running a 285/70/17. I have Marks 2.5" suspension lift, Marks 3" body lift, Z71 rear springs (approximately 1" lift), and 87 springs in the front (approximately 2" of lift I believe). When the shop put my tires on they called me and told me that it wouldn't fit. I argued with them and told them to just mount them and I would make the necessary adjustments when I picked up the truck. When I got there the fenders were sitting on the tires. there was no room to turn at all! I cut 3 inches out of the rear of the fenders and I still have some issues with rubbing.

You had to cut the fender, or just the liners?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
He cut the metal fender and almost all of the liner is cut out.

mika

Dec 6, 2011
Mark's 2.5" lift is the best solution, just pm him and he will give you all you need, even spacers if you need. The best choise I ever made. I will be getting the spacers next for myself, looking at some 275/70/17's.:thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mika said:
Mark's 2.5" lift is the best solution, ...
Just for completeness, Mark's one of a few suppliers, although he's a member-fabricator and is well-known for participating in builds and remote support.

I always cringe when folks say the word "best" without knowing all the items that go into individual decisions. For instance, if somebody wants to raise their front ONLY 1" for leveling, then SuspensionMAXX is the ONLY alternative, so they become the "best" for that requirement. See?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
And a custom SAS is the "Best" solution for those wanting 37s or bigger...

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
the roadie said:
Just for completeness, Mark's one of a few suppliers, although he's a member-fabricator and is well-known for participating in builds and remote support.

I always cringe when folks say the word "best" without knowing all the items that go into individual decisions. For instance, if somebody wants to raise their front ONLY 1" for leveling, then SuspensionMAXX is the ONLY alternative, so they become the "best" for that requirement. See?

I would read up on each of the lifts. Mark's 2.5 lift, 3.0 lift, BDS, Rough Country all have been offroaded by a lot of members with very few issues.

Joshtradamus

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Regulator said:
DSC_2586.jpg

OK, not to disrespect the Trailblazer folks that have posted here but lifting an Envoy is an entirely different beast. Our wheel wells are a lot smaller then the Trailblazers.

First, go with MarkMC's 3" lift. There is nothing better out there! Up front you will want to use the Bilstein HD's. In the rear, get rid of the bags. Rip out the entire system. Post it up here for sell, someone will be able to use it and the money you will make will off set the cost of your mods. For your goals I would suggest using a stock spring in the rear. As stated earlier, use a "white body" rear shock. I used the BDS 5500 model, it had been updated recently though. The replacement is a BDS Fox racing line part number #98224619.

Whoa, thanks for all the info :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure I'll go with Mark 3" lift, HD's up front, and BDS white's with stock springs inplace of the air bags. As for tires I'm thinking 265/70/17 with Mark's wheel spacers. Also, going to put a radiator and oil pan skid on. I think this should be a decent start, I'm sure I'll want to change things down the road after I ponder some things and see other lifted 360's.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Saxis said:
You had to cut the fender, or just the liners?

I cut metal fender with a pair of tin snips in the parking lot of the tire shop.

Your goals are doable. The outcome is well worth it to have a very unique and bad ass truck! It all comes down to how committed you are, the first cut is the hardest!

jcrayton99

Sep 12, 2012
On the TB at least, 285s will fit with only markmcs 3" lift WITH lots of cutting. Envoys will need even more. But its doable if you dont mind.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online