Thinking about a winch...

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(Mods: Putting this in 'Towing', although if it's a better fit for 'Off-Road', feel free to reclassify it. Thx)

Wondering if a winch for a RWD truck is considered 'heresy' or 'blasphemy'... or 'idiotic' :undecided::laugh:

I'll explain...

I want to install a winch setup in my garage (floor) where I can winch a 'roller' vehicle in / out, as needed.
(I know that means 'power out' capability; no problem there). And a wireless controller would allow me to 'steer while winching'; hopefully that's not like 'driving while drunk' :tequila:

In order to maximize the use of that winch, I want to also mount it to my Sierra, in case I ever get stuck; or could help someone else who is stuck. But the Sierra is RWD.

Yes, I know I'd need to rig up a proper mount to put it on the Sierra -- I've been wanting to put a new front bumper on the truck anyway, to replace the stocker (which has cuts in the back from the previous owner, so he could fit his big-@ss 315s in the wheelwells.)

Rather than replace that with a new OEM, I figured I'd go with one that could handle a winch (like Matt had on his TB, which is why I commented on his FS post, recently)

Think 'ditch' or 'mud', not 'off-road crawling'. I may be ignorant, but I'm (hopefully) not a fool

Opinions? I'm not keen to installing a winch *just* for garage use, since it's only my own personal vehicles in question, not a 'professional shop' situation. E.g.; I might use for 1-2 projects, max.

Yes, I acknowledge that I might only use the winch a couple of times. But to have it on the truck if I ever need it is nice (and, yeah, it looks badass, I'll admit). Or would it be 'total poseur', since I'm not running a lift on 42s ? LOL

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
To hell with what other people think. It's your truck so equip it the way you like. And if anything, you'd probably need it more as a 2wd just getting stuck in snow. My son used to hate his 2wd Sierra for that, getting stuck just leaving our driveway.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You also have the option to mount the winch on a hitch receiver mount. That way it can be used from the front or the back.

This is a great suggestion, and is appreciated. :tiphat::thankyou:

(Now I don't feel so bad for making the post... lol)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online