The word "Voilà "

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Being a bilingual Canadian, I just wanted to try and stop the butchery of the French word Voilà . It is mostly used to indicate a wanted end result, such as "I turned the key and, voilà , the engine started". It is defined as follows:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/voila

voilà (vwà -là
prime.gif
)
interj.
Used to call attention to or express satisfaction with a thing shown or accomplished:
It is pronounced vwa-la or voo-ah la.

It's understandable not using the accent since most don't have a bilingual keyboard to be able to use it but it's the bad or incorrect words that are used that get to me:

- Wala or Waa laa: just from not being able to pronounce the "V" I guess, just sounds bad
- Viola: A misspell probably from using the auto correct, which is a stringed musical instrument

Not being a dick or spell police. Just want to throw a bit of info out there.

Last edited:

combatspace

Aug 6, 2014
Can't say I've ever seen someone type "wala" but I know the feeling. My coworkers are so illiterate sometimes, its absolutely shocking...I'm the grammar police at the shop.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nothing wrong with correcting a bit of misinformation.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm not a grammar nazi but I play one on TV sometimes. That word is one of my top ten pet peeves when it's misspelled, and folks who learn it from conversation and not from reading, often guess wrong on the spelling and origin. I see wala almost monthly on some forums, and I'm glad to see someone else gently educating people. I took French in high school because nothing else was offered, but German would have been much more practical for engineering.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
The translation to Polish would be " Holy Kielbasa " .....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
waalaa....great new thread!

I agree that it is annoying when spelled wrong, but I think many that use it have likely never seen it in print.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am so happy my mother instilled a love of reading in me. Granted it is far more internet and newspaper and magazines these days, but I still listen to books on CD everyday during my commute. Hopefully I am instilling the same love in my children for it seems to be a dying concept with tv and video games of late.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
You're = you + are

Thought I would add this as well lol

Ex:

Are you going to rotate your tires?

I heard you're going to Atlanta tomorrow?

See the difference? Lol
Fixed

and agreed.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Necroposting in the highest possible order. Just bringing this back to life after seeing this word butchered some more in the last couple of days.

Voilà!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Being a bilingual Canadian, I just wanted to try and stop the butchery of the French word Voilà

Necroposting in the highest possible order. Just bringing this back to life after seeing this word butchered some more in the last couple of days.

Voilà!

Kinda glad you did - I wasn't around here in 2014, but seeing this thread and the various responses prompted me to add my .02 - it is nice to see everyone's postings indicating that they care about proper use of the language (plus, although I'm an American, I have a soft spot in my heart for our neighbours across our northern border...LOL).

(for those wondering... it was Webster that 'Americanized' our language; until he did, US and English (Canadian) spellings were alike)

It's understandable not using the accent since most don't have a bilingual keyboard to be able to use it but it's the bad or incorrect words that are used that get to me:

- Wala or Waa laa: just from not being able to pronounce the "V" I guess, just sounds bad
- Viola: A misspell probably from using the auto correct, which is a stringed musical instrument

The first one annoys the living hell out of me, too - I see it often online (and for some reason, more often than not in auto forums? Or perhaps my searches are just naturally biased toward that end? lol)

AFAIK, there is no way to pronounce 'V' as 'W' in American English, so (younger) people here have *heard* the word, but never seen in in print, believe it or not. Ignorance is bliss. And then, there are those who simply don't care, but our primary / secondary education systems & practices are very different now than what they were when I was growing up. Especially our 'public' systems. Enough about that.

'Viola', besides people not caring about spelling, results again from not being visually aware of the word to even recognize something is amiss - and 'Voila' does not flag as a misspelled word in Chrome, at least - I can type it here in this message and see no prompting to change it - so I'll give the people who use 'Viola' a "half-credit" for trying (but still no cigar).

(on edit - see last comment at the bottom of this post - it actually *may* be a spelling correction - but the other way around - flagging 'correct' as 'incorrect'!)

As for the grave (accent mark) - supposedly, one can do that on a US English (Windows) keyboard by pressing 'Ctrl' plus the " ` ", *plus* the letter - but I find this impossible to do as I try it now, and I work in IT. The only way I can do it is to look it up in Windows' charmap utility - and, even then, I have to know the font family I'm using (which, on this site, I don't), as the ASCII code varies by font.

Given all of that, it's no wonder you don't see people using the grave too often on this side of the border (plus, except for professional writers, we're all 'lazy' and / or 'ignorant', as the stereotypes suggest.)

Where I'm going with this... how does Mooseman get the grave to appear correctly on his end? I've reviewed both the Canadian English and Canadian French layouts (Windows), and while the CA French version has the grave 'e'... I don't see the same for the 'a' or 'u'). So I'm guessing there must be some keyboard combo that must be entered to produce those - ? Which, to me is kind of nuts - why only the 'e' as a 'native' key (unless the 'a' and 'u' grave is rarely used in CA French - but then, we have " Voilà! ", which I would imagine is a commonly used word, so... ? (and, yes, I copied that from Mooseman's post)).

As an aside, since this is ostensibly what this thread is about... pasting the 'correct' version of the word above... Chrome flagged it, and suggested 'Voile' or 'Voila' (no grave) - I kid you not! Go figure!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
FYI, the ` accent is basically used in combination when I use the CA French keyboard. On the French keyboard, the key that is usually the apostrophe (') and quote (") is for the accent grave. When I want the accent on almost any letter, I hit the key for it and then the letter. To get the accent by itself like I did above, I just hit the space bar. It's the same for the ¨ and ^ accents.

However, for the other accent slanted in the other direction (in French, called accent aigu), which is used only on the "e", it has its own dedicated key to get é.

Voilà!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online