"The truck has 421000 miles, it does run and drive"

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Saw this in a local CL ad today for a 2001 Suburban partout (5.3L).

Warms the heart to see that kind of mileage and still running (maintenance history unknown).
That's diesel longevity, frankly.

If I ever got that kind of mileage out of a vehicle, I think I'd put it on a raised platform in my yard, with a plaque to commemorate it.

I guess the 4L60E (assumed) still operates in some capacity, but I'm betting it's not the original.
At 420K, he'd be about ready for the 3rd one.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Engine could have been replaced too. Who knows. Body is probably done if it's in the rust belt.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh, it does have body cancer. I didn't want to write my usual tome for something like this :duh:

You're right - it could be a replacement engine. But, then, I'd think he'd put "odo has 421K, engine has xxx " (because no one in their right mind would expect to put in a motor with that mileage on it and expect to get anything useful out of it.) TBH, I don't know that I'd even re-use the block, for a rebuild.

Oh, well... just thought I'd mention it. Supposedly, < 3% of vehicles make it to 200K. No idea how many survive to over 400K (original driveline or not), but I bet it's a number with some zeroes to the right of the decimal point.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Oh, well... just thought I'd mention it. Supposedly, < 3% of vehicles make it to 200K. No idea how many survive to over 400K (original driveline or not), but I bet it's a number with some zeroes to the right of the decimal point.
Those must be northern salt numbers. I see tons of vehicles (at work) over 200k down here in the south. Now 400k? Think I've seen about a dozen. Got one loyal customer with over 600k on a early 2000's Tacoma with original drive train but this guy is anal on his maintenance. He'll replace a clean air filter because it's due by his personal mileage basis.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I've owned one car with over 400k. It was my first car, a 1981 Cadillac coupe deville with a 6.0 big block. Bought it with 127k 3 transmissions later and 486000 miles, cam bearings let go. I miss that car.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Those must be northern salt numbers. I see tons of vehicles (at work) over 200k down here in the south. Now 400k? Think I've seen about a dozen. Got one loyal customer with over 600k on a early 2000's Tacoma with original drive train but this guy is anal on his maintenance. He'll replace a clean air filter because it's due by his personal mileage basis.

Ok... ground rules. Toyota / Honda don't count. Hell, those things would prolly go 200K on factory fill. lol.

Reactions: Mounce

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
My buddy got his 7.3 powerstoke over 500k. Recently replaced the engine and found seven cracked pistons when he tore it apart. Still drove like that though. I don't remember what it had when he bought it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online