The Search for New Tire

advcomp2019

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
iowa
I have been researching for months about getting new tires for the 2002 Envoy since it looks like they are getting to their end of life. There is not very many good all season tires. That is why I was looking at all terrain tires, too. It is just very hard to pick for this SUV.

I have been looking at the General Grabber HTS since they are on it right now, but looks like they was replace by the General Grabber HTS60. Then I was looking at the General Grabber STX at Wal-Mart, but I have never had good luck with Wal-Mart only tires. Then I was looking at the Firestone Winterforce for winter only, then I have to get another set of rims. Then a friend said to get to Hankook Dynapro AT-M's, but they do not look like a good snow tire in my opinion.

I just need help picking or deciding. I am even open to other tires. I just need a tire that is good all season, but really good in snow and once in a while mud. Plus I might be towing a trailer at times.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had Firestone Destination AT on my Trailblazer, they did pretty good in everything and didn't break the bank either. That really was the only tire I used on my TB for the time I had it (ignoring the worn out Kelly tires it had when I first bought it).

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've got the dynapro HTS on mine and they do well. Snow traction is decent but they are a good/better wet dry tire than in snow.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Another vote for the Firestones... I have the Destination LE2 (on-road version of the AT). Since you're indicating some off-road / mud usage, I'd get the AT version, like Sparky has / recommended. It's even better in the wet / snow than the LE2s - the only penalty is that it's a little bit more noisy on dry pavement.

Firestone often advertises a 'buy 3 / 1 free' on these. Try and get that pricing, if you can.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I didn't find the AT remotely loud either. Yeah, you could kinda hear them I guess vs a highway tread, but they were still pretty darn quiet and I'd take the 1% louder for the better overall traction in mixed conditions.

I had LE2 on my Silverado when I bought it and I didn't like them, but that was on a pickup that is light in the back end so I'm sure that didn't help. I'm running BFG KO2 on it now, but those may be a bit overkill for a Trailblazer (well, at least a stock one) partially because they are load range E and stupid heavy because of that. My wheel + tire combo pushes over 80 pounds each IIRC. The P rated Destination AT is much lighter.

Reactions: cornchip

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would suggest the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. it replaced the original LTX MS. Great all around traction, quiet as hell, and not to bad on price.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have the General Grabber HTSs on my EXT as my summer tire as well. I'm considering this tire as my summer tire, and since it is winter rated, I may try it next winter while it is still fresh. The Grabbers did great the first two winters, but the next couple were dicey so I got snow tires for the winter.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Didn't know the BFG KO2 had an LT option. Not many 245/65R17 sized tires offer any thing other than P. The new Toyo ATII's that I have could do with the better side walls of the LT. Makes the back end feel a bit loose with the weaker side walls.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think the KO2 is available in anything but LT.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Yes...only LT. If your going to make a rugged tire like the KO2...it should be LT rated. Kinda what I'd hoped for with the Toyo ATII. Seems like some are LT and others are P metric. No rhyme or reason for it.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
I have the Hankook ATMs on my TB. I run the 265/65r17 size. They are great tires. Not a lot of road noise, great grip. They are good in the snow too. I run 40 psi in them for all around driving, but drop to 35 psi when it's snowy. I get much better traction at the lower pressure.

advcomp2019

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
iowa
Yea, that is another thing. The LT and P tires is another thing that kept on making me wonder at times. It is just so hard pick. I don't want a bank breaking tire while I don't want too cheap of a tire. Another thing that I should clear up is the mud. The reason for little mud is I park in the yard at times, and if it rains heavy, it sometimes get muddy.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Honestly there is no need for an LT tire on a Trailblazer if you're just on the roads (and some minor off-road like in a yard or a field). If you're doing heavier offroad stuff where you need stronger tires to resist punctures from debris, etc, then yeah, you'd want LT. But if you're not doing all that then I wouldn't make that a primary concern. I ran P rated on my Trailblazer its whole life, even with the oversized tires later, because LT would have been pointless for my usage and would have only served to cost more to purchase and cost more gas due to likely lower MPG from the extra weight.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I completely agree with my friend Sparky. P-rated tires easily exceed the maximum gross weight rating of any Trailblazer or Envoy with just three tires. (This is the proper criteria to assess load ratings.) Unless you need the very stiff sidewalls of an LT tire, P tires will ride better, weigh less and get better mileage.

Reactions: xavierny25

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Not sure about the Firestone Winterforce but the Winterhawk 3 they sell here in Europe has been pretty consistent in receiving bad review results :sadcry: When your wet & snow braking distances are dangerously near (or on par with) chinese noname shitbrands something is not right. I would rule Firestone completely out if I was in the market for a dedicated winter tire.

Those Dynapro ATM might be good for you because they are severe snow service rated. But they look too beefy for on road use to me. Other snowflake-rated AT tires not yet mentioned here (I think :smile: ):
  • Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015
  • Cooper Discoverer A/TW
  • Nokian Rotiiva AT

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I have had the Grabbers on my TB for a few years now. They did well in summer and winter driving between Detroit and Chicago. They are at about 5-6/32 of tread left, so I have been looking at prices for new tires. We'll see how harsh of a winter we have. I have the P235/75/R16's on mine.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would suggest the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. it replaced the original LTX MS. Great all around traction, quiet as hell, and not to bad on price.

I bought a set of these at the end of summer....Excellent tire. Costco had the best price in my area....I agree, not bad on price.

I was holding out on the MS2 but not avail in our size. Glad they came out with these, alot of mixed reviews on the MS2.

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I currently have the Hankook dynapro atm, they are getting replaced on Saturday. They are good tires but suck in the rain. can easily let loose when leaving a stop light. They are also noisy.

I am getting Cooper Discoverer RTX's. Lots of good reviews about them, for both rain and snow, and dry pavement. (which we get all of here in MN) and little road noise. Getting them from NTB for 120 per tire.

On the previous vehicle (93 jimmy) we had the LTX ms2 on that, super quiet, lasted a VERY long time, handled great in the rain, wasnt the best in the snow if you have 2wd.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.