The new electric silverado

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
So I know there are other threads on this but... at first glance I think GM messed up. This is clearly an avalanche and they should've called it an EValanche. All kidding aside it really does look like what an avalanche would've been if made today. Not my cup of tea but a lot of features you'd expect from one....

Also this further proves the point people only want it for looks. Short bed... really gm only a short bed? Stupid.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It IS an Avalanche. Having owned one for a short while, I did like it and believe me, the demand is there. Guys are paying premium prices for the old ones. My particular one just didn't work out for my needs.

Why they went this way? Maybe for the electrics having a single body. Or they saw the demand for an Avalanche and put the two together. Those that want an EV don't particularly want it as a work truck, more like a weekend warrior and occasional sofa mover.

What is interesting is the towing capacity of 10,000# with a future version of 20,000#. However, the range will be a major factor for guys like me with an RV. Right off the bat, that's a higher capacity than my 3.0L Duramax but the range will be key.

They shouldn't have called it a Silverado unless all their pickups will be going this way. I know the Avalanche guys are gonna be all over this either way.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
It IS an Avalanche. Having owned one for a short while, I did like it and believe me, the demand is there. Guys are paying premium prices for the old ones. My particular one just didn't work out for my needs.

Why they went this way? Maybe for the electrics having a single body. Or they saw the demand for an Avalanche and put the two together. Those that want an EV don't particularly want it as a work truck, more like a weekend warrior and occasional sofa mover.

What is interesting is the towing capacity of 10,000# with a future version of 20,000#. However, the range will be a major factor for guys like me with an RV. Right off the bat, that's a higher capacity than my 3.0L Duramax but the range will be key.

They shouldn't have called it a Silverado unless all their pickups will be going this way. I know the Avalanche guys are gonna be all over this either way.
Oh I get the market for it. It's smart on their part but a guy actually using a 1500 isn't going to be considering it. Soccer dad who drives a 1500 as a daily for no reason other than to say they drive a truck... will be all over it. And the avalanche crowd as well. I also see it working well in congested areas (like I see electric semis working well too) but it's still a Situational thing but we're inching closer.

As much as I hate to say it I'm closer to the second category than the first at this point in the game. I did way more out of the TB than I ever will this truck. But I've still abused this one more than most people have so.... You can forklift pallets into one carefully lol. The concept seems better executed than ford too which I find funny.

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
One more thing I thought about. The size constraint is most likely because it's a unibody style construction vs a BOF. So it's actually a ute. :tongue:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
So it's actually a ute.
Wash your mouth out...THESE are utes.

1641491609075.jpeg

1641491638312.jpeg

images

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They just copied Ferd and their "frunk". Wonder if they'll copy other stuff?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
  • Haha
Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They must be doing something right because they sold out on 12 minutes!

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
They must be doing something right because they sold out on 12 minutes!

This generally happens. I was reading the RST will be north of 100k however. Which makes me question how many there actually are to begin with. I mean that's just stupid money for a vehicle. I thought spending much more than 45k on a truck was ridiculous but that's nuts. The WT seems to be priced in the 39k range which is more reasonable but again... thats inline with a conventional one. I'm curious of there are power differences between the two or if it'll be only options. So far nothing seems to indicate that other than the WT having a lower tow rating... which also seems odd???

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is a lot of money however it's always the case when dealing with EVs unless it's a Tata or some junk like that. It's the premium for saving money on gas I guess. I know I'm enjoying the fuel savings with my diesel however the payments hurt like :sadcry:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
See and that's the thing too at least for me... it would only average to about 10$ savings a fill up last I checked. So not super cost effective on my end either. And I somehow now need to park in the driveway vs the street at the house to plug in. :crazy: Sounds like a good excuse to me lol.

One thing I was curious about, it seems EV plugs are mostly universal to a point but the rapid charge may or may not be compatible. So that may be another thing to consider for myself. There are a significant number of Tesla super charge stations around here. Not so many I've seen otherwise. But it would seem I should be able to use them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another video showing some of the features.

$120K CAD/$105K USD? That's gonna be a hard no from me.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Might as well buy an escalade at that price. :tongue:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online