The "Life AFTER Death" of YOUR Private Information

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Recently, I had problem with a Brand New Samsung EVO 500 GB Solid State Drive (SSD) crashing. It made me have to put on my 'Thinking Cap' to come with the right combination of "Moxie and Linux Drive Recovery Software" to reclaim ALL of my Lost Information. And... although I was completely successful at this endeavor...

I had to pause for 'A Moment of Clarity'

I realized that at my "age" of nearly 73... with all of the Dormant, Aging Legacy Computer Systems I have laying around me holding Data and Information that goes as far back as the mid-1980s (Think MS-Dos 1.0 here as my Point of Origin...) that perhaps a Little Personal Hardware House Cleaning was in order.... But SOONER Rather Than LATER.

Long story short... I DO NOT want to wait around until I'm TOO Feeble (or TOO Dead) to take care of such matters. My Digital Personal Effects, Papers, Writings, Monographs, Family Photo Albums, Mechanic's Write Ups, Images and on and on ... You Name It... Much of it information that presently STILL defines "ME" while I'm STILL walking around on my own "Two Pegs + Cane" is still MINE. And since it is MY STUFF, once I'm Gone... It's STUFF that should NOT be left laying around waiting to be:

"Sifted THROUGH ... By God Knows WHO..."

So ... my solution here has been to Identify ALL of the Computers and Saved Hard Drives that have any and all personal information and anything found therein not immediately necessary for the well being and good order of our lives ...will get "Put Through The Wash" ...so to speak, using THIS:

StarTech.com Military Grade Hard Drive Eraser:

STARTECH1.jpegSTARTECH2.jpegSTARTECH3.jpegSTARTECH4.jpegSTARTECH5.jpegSTARTECH6.jpegSTARTECH7.jpegSTARTECH8.jpegSTARTECH10.jpegSTARTECH11.jpegSTARTECH12.jpegSTARTECH14.jpegSTARTECH15.jpegSTARTECH17.jpegSTARTECH18.jpegSTARTECH19.jpeg

This Thing really is BRILLIANT! It works as both an External Hard Drive Reader via 3.1 USB Port + Cable... and... it can do its Critical Job as "Binary Code Shredder" as per the images of The "Press The Buttons on The Console" Instruction Sheets attached below in order to SCRUB those Hard Drives "Squeaky Clean". Here are the Un-Boxing Images to show just what $240.00 will get you over on Amazon for permanently solving this desire for "Superb Information Obfuscation". :>)

Reactions: Expeditor

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Binary Code Shredder:
the old fashioned way for "Superb Information Obfuscation"

1646489885701.png
and less than 20 bucks at home depot or lowes :smile: or less if you use a sledge already in your garage.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
A gallon of gas and a match work pretty well, too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unless you plan on reusing the hard drives, a hammer works well enough. I also take them apart and harvest the rare earth magnets in them to use on oil filters and then destroy the platters with a hammer.

Reactions: Redbeard

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Wipe the drives .. then use for firearms target practice .. then after getting the magnets, todd the open carcass into a nice bonfire ..

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online