The fluid purge has started & ended.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
As I said before, I like to get all the systems fluids to a spot where I am comfortable and know exactly when they have been changed/updated. Because of what @TJBaker57 said about the front axle disconnect, I wanted to lay eyes on it. I removed the cover under there and drained the oil and while I was waiting for that to empty I laid a flashlight on the disconnect on the passenger side and started scoping out what all was involved with it's removal. While laying there and saying to myself, "What the hell", I also figured out how many ways I had to bend my arms and hands to remove the oil filter. Smaller vehicle=less room. Broke it loose and changed it and continued to "inspect the area". Thankfully there is no rust under there from vehicle living in this area in Oregon for the first leg of it's life. I see how it will need to be done and may just remove it for "shits and giggles" this summer to open up and check the lube. I replaced the cover and refilled with Mobil 1 10w-30. Damn 6 cylinder takes 7 quarts and my 05 Tahoe 5.3 takes 6 quarts, go figure. I had promised my girl that I would do the w/s Aqua Pel glass treatment and decided to stop the under carriage work and do that to finish the day. My friend came over with his 2021 Colorado and I did the same w/s treatment for him. Then he took us to lunch at our favorite watering hole for the bars' famous "Stumpy Burgers". Love them damn "Concrete Cutters" burgers. Gonna be sunny here tomorrow and plan on the transmission filter and fluid, the front diff fluid and the transfer case fluid changes. I am waiting on the fuel filter and air filter to get here.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Be thankful you have a 2002. In 2005 they moved the fuel filter to inside the tank. My biggest complaint about the front diff is there really is no way to drain it without making a mess. Transfer case is easy. Finding the correct transfer case fluid can be a pain. I have found it on Amazon and Advanced Auto.

Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I have all the correct fluids, according to the owner's manual. My 02 Tahoe had the external fuel filter and my 05 Z71 has the in tank filter. Updates to be posted after tomorrow, unless old man disease kicks in and I say "hell with it till later".

The thing I think is weird about the fuel filter, is the in and out spouts are on the same side of the filter. What kind of crap is that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Be thankful you have a 2002. In 2005 they moved the fuel filter to inside the tank.
To me, it's one less thing to worry about. And when the inevitable pump replacement is required, the filter goes with it.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
When I ran shops, I would not do a fuel pump replacement unless I did the fuel filter and the relay at the same time. If customer refused my recommendations, they signed the receipt that I recommended it and they refused. They had no choice, if my shop did the work.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The thing I think is weird about the fuel filter, is the in and out spouts are on the same side of the filter. What kind of crap is that?
If I were to guess, it was spec'd by GM that way, to help eliminate installer error (even though a flow arrow and two different fitting sizes *should* normally be enough to clue them in).

I'm happy both of my '03s have the external filter, fwiw. :whistle:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
If I were to guess, it was spec'd by GM that way, to help eliminate installer error (even though a flow arrow and two different fitting sizes *should* normally be enough to clue them in).

I'm happy both of my '03s have the external filter, fwiw. :whistle:
Yea, no problem having the external filter, in fact, I prefer that. I like to sometimes open them up to see what is being trapped in there. On my 05 Z71, I replaced my fuel pump recently, about 7k miles ago and I did a thorough in tank cleaning while it was open. Did not find hardly anything but was worth it to me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it's better to have the filter in the tank as it would filter out all crud before it would pass through the pump.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I think it's better to have the filter in the tank as it would filter out all crud before it would pass through the pump.

Best of both worlds IMO, is having the in tank filter, before fuel goes thru pump and an additional inline filter.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, Did the transmission service with a new GM filter and gasket and yes, I even changed the filter mount seal/plug while in there. That went smoother than my 05 Z71. Too many things in the way on my Z. This was easy access and easy clean up. Then on to the front differential fluid change. That big fill plug was in there tight. Had to use an 18 mm socket and burp it with my electric/battery Milwaukee impact and then came right out. The drain plug came out easy. Drained the front diff and used my hand pump transfer pump to fill with full synthetic 75W-90 fluid. I had the skid plate off again to do a further inspection under there. I have a full on bright as all get out halogen lamp and checked everything for any sign of leaks. It was dry except where the oil filter pukes when removed and spillage when removing the front diff drain plug. Glad to see that.

Went to the transfer case and I had the TB up at level on 4 jack stands and removed the transfer case fill plug and the bright blue fluid started to trickle out. It was full and all around it was dry with no leaks. I double checked and the new fluid, Auto-Trak II, looked just as blue. I left it alone. The old fluid looked clean. I think it had been serviced at one time and did not show on Car Fax. There was a shop that showed on the CF that did several "fluid services" with no detail as to what fluids. I called them and the time in the shop was long enough ago that was not in their computer, or at least that is what he said.

So now my fluid purge is done. Fuel filter, air filter will be here tomorrow or next day. I plan to do them and replace the ignition switch and then drive for a while and see how it goes.

I welcome any suggestions or observations. Thanks.

Last edited:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Forgot to say that still need to diagnose the speakers problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.