The 'Cold Start' Thread

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks for another thread to whore up... I mean post useful things to. :rotfl:
10 degrees Fahrenheit. Sat over night.

Reactions: stickypoop

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
2006 5.3L LH6 with DOD, Cold start, -6 F, it sat overnight. The engine doesn't sound good at all right when it fires up (.02 in video). When the blower fan starts it drowns out that whining noise and shortly after that the noise is gone. Made the same noise the day before at -7 F after sitting overnight. Sounds really messed up. Anybody else get that noise?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've gotten that noise before when the truck was stupid cold (subzero). It was my PS pump. Could tell because the whine would get louder again if I turned the wheel.

I have no cold start vids.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
5.3L , here's a cold start last week, not stupid cold. Was listening to exhaust note when cold. Sounds good till the compressor kicks in. I should do the res delete.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's like 50 out but still.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Beauty 'bird!!! '67? Sounds good, 400?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Beauty 'bird!!! '67? Sounds good, 400?
It's a 400 block... internally it could be stroked and bored to a 455 for all I know. Engine was built around 89 and was supposed to go in a drag car so. My uncle ended up with it. Never ran. Then he slowly accumulated 67s and 68s and built the car around it. First fire was either 15 or 16. Has about 400 miles on it. Motor was inspected for surface rust inside before it was started by a mechanic. All he said was that it had excellent parts in it. That's all I can say. He was hoping for 500+ at the crank. We'll see. Certainly runs like it could. The car is a 67. Aside from the block 90% is all oem parts. Some of the trim and the seat covers and such like that is original reproduction or recovered oem parts. All the panels (sheetmetal) except 1 are factory. Real 400 hood. Funny thing is the car started out as a 6 cylinder car. He's always called it Sid because Sid in toy story pieced together his toys from other toys. As he did with his car. He seriously started working on it probably 15 years ago or so. Slowly accumulating parts. That was supposed to be the practice car to learn on and then the next was to be the real deal show car. He was built to be a track car. There are two other cars at the house. A 68 which can be seen in the background which did run but it needed a lot of work and then a real matching numbers 67 which is in decent shape but it's just sheet metal and driveline. That needs everything touched. There's also enough panels, rears, etc. laying around to build 3 more from the ground up. Anything hard to find is there... and there's an extra 400 laying in the garage too. And now you know his life story and that's probably more than you or anyone else reading this wanted. :hopeless:

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Awesome! Thanks for the details.

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online