The Big Boy

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Just creating a thread to share a few pics of my Yuk. It's an '05 2500. I added the window vents, bug shield and 2500HD badges.

6106979925_46b2c2102b.jpg

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
The cockpit. Factory touch screen DVD/NAV system is AWFUL. My iPhone is 10 times better. Sound is good, UI is one of the worst. So I have a hardwired FM transmitter and plug into the headphone jack of the iPhone, or move the headphone plug over to the Sirius.

Brake controller above right knee.

6106981093_ccfef43808.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like it!

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
DJones said:
What kind of fuel economy do you get?

What kind of whahuh? :confused: I don't understand your question.

Okay, seriously though, I keep very careful track of mpg, have a record of every drop of fuel I put in every car I own. 10 city driving with winter gas. With summer gas on the highway I get 15. Towing 6000 lb hwy about 12. Mixed driving about 12.

When I bought it I researched the 2500 burbs pretty hard, found that the 6.0 trucks got about the same milage as the 8.1s (which were never rated). So I went for the extra 150 lb ft of torque and am glad I did. Happened across this monster and didn't even know when I bought it about the rear climate control, DVD player, all leather... it was far away from me and I had someone test drive it for me, they sent along a bunch of pictures (I was interested in under the hood and body) and told me the interior was "really nice".

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Couple more pics:
6929274803_1d3ca22081.jpg

6929275469_877277293a.jpg

And new tires last week: Michelin LTX AT2

6929275203_31e724f730.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
now thats a tank!!! :crackup:

nice ride :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Are those 8 ply tires, or just standard?

I have heard that the 8 ply's get slightly better fuel mileage.

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
TollKeeper said:
Are those 8 ply tires, or just standard?

I have heard that the 8 ply's get slightly better fuel mileage.

I believe these are not. The MS2 is rated for better milage.

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks everyone.

I had an '86 3/4 ton suburban with 330,000 miles on it before the drivers floor finally let go. Replaced the 350 with a Buick 455 and later a Cadillac 500. The 500 was just right in that truck.

After that had a G30 1 ton van. Towed well, but the 350 was severely underpowered. Bench seats in the van finally drove the 'family comfort level' to push back into a large SUV.

I spent many months shopping, was about to get a V8 Buick Rainier, but after test driving decided I didn't like the hefty body roll.

Started looking at Yukons and Burbs again. Once I figured out that they all get 13-14 mpg and this monstrosity can still get 12, I figured why not?! It really is the king of the road!!! With all the torque on tap to do whatever you feel like, anytime! And a 36 gallon tank lets you pass many gas stations before you need to drop another wallet full of gas.

Found this one with 100K miles and picked it up for what I think is a steal! Still a lot but had to be less than 1/4 of the original sticker! This thing must have stickered for $60K given what's inside. 4WD, All leather, rear DVD and rear climate control, dual front power heated, touch/NAV Bose, dual zone auto climate up front... loaded!!!

Last year we towed a car Boston to Ft Myers FL, and another car home on my flatbed trailer. We were in South Carolina, 100+ degrees and disgusting humidity, rolling with the A/C cranking, cruise on 78, kids watching DVDs from the back seat, no problems at all until we stopped and got out. Humidity was shocking! But we still got 12-13 MPG the whole way.

I have it tuned for the most timing possible without KR and set everything just so that I don't get any knock with 87 octane, and if I tow anything heavy I use 89 octane to avoid knock. It's the perfect flex tune to me. I don't mind putting the 89 in when I tow.

ptrkptz

Mar 20, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
Thanks everyone.

Started looking at Yukons and Burbs again. Once I figured out that they all get 13-14 mpg and this monstrosity can still get 12, I figured why not?! It really is the king of the road!!! With all the torque on tap to do whatever you feel like, anytime! And a 36 gallon tank lets you pass many gas stations before you need to drop another wallet full of gas.

:eek:

I would hate to see the digits on the pump filling that tank if empty!!

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Very nice ride...good find. I like the color too. :biggrin:

Now you just need a set of Depo LED tails. :thumbsup:

2012-04-17_10-37-04_279.jpg

2012-04-17_10-37-23_681.jpg

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Those are nice taillights! I've been hoping one gets broken so I have a justification to go LED. If/when I do, I'll keep those in mind!

If I run it down until the fuel light comes on I put in 33 gallons. I also make good use of our local grocery chain's gas discount program, 10c off per gallon on every $100 spent in the grocery store, and they regularly run coupons like spend $50 get an extra $0.50 off / gallon. We usually get two of those coupons then go shopping and split the cart into two $50 purchases. The best discount I got so far was $1.80 off per gallon. Their gas discount program goes up to 35 gallons, and I'm usually a couple weeks between fillups if I drain the tank, so in all reality although a complete fillup is pricey, my fuel bills aren't off the wall.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
deekster_caddy said:
Those are nice taillights! I've been hoping one gets broken so I have a justification to go LED. If/when I do, I'll keep those in mind!

If I run it down until the fuel light comes on I put in 33 gallons. I also make good use of our local grocery chain's gas discount program, 10c off per gallon on every $100 spent in the grocery store, and they regularly run coupons like spend $50 get an extra $0.50 off / gallon. We usually get two of those coupons then go shopping and split the cart into two $50 purchases. The best discount I got so far was $1.80 off per gallon. Their gas discount program goes up to 35 gallons, and I'm usually a couple weeks between fillups if I drain the tank, so in all reality although a complete fillup is pricey, my fuel bills aren't off the wall.

I second your sentiments on bargain hunting fuel. Up here I collect something called "air miles". With my truck that translates to two flights to Vegas a year and one to Palm Springs.

Your tune and gearing must play a key roll in your mileage? 496 cubic inches is just plain massive. I thought the 454 was big in my day but man what a beast!

Did I miss the part when you talked about your transmission and gearing? What makes it roll without coming apart with all that power? Did you set your TC to early lock-up? What a cool truck!

deekster_caddy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Blade said:
I second your sentiments on bargain hunting fuel. Up here I collect something called "air miles". With my truck that translates to two flights to Vegas a year and one to Palm Springs.

Your tune and gearing must play a key roll in your mileage? 496 cubic inches is just plain massive. I thought the 454 was big in my day but man what a beast!

Did I miss the part when you talked about your transmission and gearing? What makes it roll without coming apart with all that power? Did you set your TC to early lock-up? What a cool truck!

Gearing is just OE 3.73s, not the optional 4.10s. Trans is the 4L85E, basically the latest version of the bulletproof TH400 with OD. 70 mph is about 2200 Rpm, too high IMO. I fine tuned all the fueling tables, then maxed out timing for KR free 87 octane. if I am towing I need to run 89. I do have it shift a little earlier than stock and have TC lockup happen a little sooner too, but I can feel it straining a bit - the big Chevy is just clearly missing some of the bottom end torque I am used to in my old Buick 455s.

When I had my '86 3/4 ton 'burb I had 3.23s in it and had put a Buick 455 in it, and it had way more low end torque and taller tires, and without OD turned about the same RPM. Got about the same mileage though. When I changed the 455 to a cammed Cadillac 500" it really woke up! But also got notably thirstier. I would love to swap the electronics from this 8.1 onto my cad 500 still sitting in my garage, that would make some REAL torque!

In the HD pickups with the 8.1 you could opt for the Allison 5 or 6 speed tranny they put behind the duramax.

Reactions: gmc4flash

gmc4flash

Mar 25, 2015
deekster_caddy said:
Gearing is just OE 3.73s, not the optional 4.10s. Trans is the 4L85E, basically the latest version of the bulletproof TH400 with OD. 70 mph is about 2200 Rpm, too high IMO. I fine tuned all the fueling tables, then maxed out timing for KR free 87 octane. if I am towing I need to run 89. I do have it shift a little earlier than stock and have TC lockup happen a little sooner too, but I can feel it straining a bit - the big Chevy is just clearly missing some of the bottom end torque I am used to in my old Buick 455s.

When I had my '86 3/4 ton 'burb I had 3.23s in it and had put a Buick 455 in it, and it had way more low end torque and taller tires, and without OD turned about the same RPM. Got about the same mileage though. When I changed the 455 to a cammed Cadillac 500" it really woke up! But also got notably thirstier. I would love to swap the electronics from this 8.1 onto my cad 500 still sitting in my garage, that would make some REAL torque!

In the HD pickups with the 8.1 you could opt for the Allison 5 or 6 speed tranny they put behind the duramax.
I know this is an old thread... but I loved the part about putting a caddie 500 in the burb... my 1st car was a 53' Chevy truck that I talked my Dad into putting a 64' 429 caddie in... took me most of high school to get it running.... but it was s hot rod when done and would pull anything!! Man I wish I still had it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online