The Annual 2005 TB Electrical Problem Returns.

Charles Austin Miller

Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Well, it's almost summer and my annual 2005 TB EXT electrical problems are back. 4.2 straight-six with 4WD.

Over the last 3 years, I've been getting increasing multiple-cylinder misfires. Last year, I replaced all ignition coils and plugs. This year (in the last two days), I replaced the PCM, battery, ignition switch and alternator.

PCM passkey confirmation worked, so I know the new PCM is functional. But, when I try to crank it, it never fires up and it blows the PCM 1 fuse (#28) every time.

Also, I don't smell any gas, so I doubt the fuel pump is sending. All of which sounds like a bad fuel pump and/or fuel pump relay, and/or a short somewhere in the ignition harness. However, if the ignition harness is shorting somewhere, that can blow the PCM 1 fuse, which shuts down the fuel pump.

I've had problems in the past with coil connectors melting, so that's my first suspicion. Ideally, I'd like to replace the whole ignition coil harness, just to get that out of the way...unfortunately, I can't find the ignition coil harness for a 4.2L 6 cylinder. There are so many varying descriptions online (some of which say that specific harness is discontinued), I don't know where to find it.

Can anyone just POINT ME to the 6-cylinder ignition coil harness for the 2005 TB EXT 4.2? Once that's out of the way, I'll pursue the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Charles Austin Miller

Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
Charlotte, NC
There is, apparently, an electrical difference between a Trailblazer and a Trailblazer EXT 4WD that extends beyond its body and wheelbase. This is like trying to locate rocking-horse-shit. It's rare.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Shouldn't be too many differences. Rear HVAC wiring, 3rd row seat headliner lights, and 3rd row seat window switch wiring to the overhead console should really be about it. I'd imagine the underhood wiring should be the same. If the harnesses plugging into the fuse blocks are pinned differently, you could easily re-pin them, since you've got your original ones to compare them to.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Underhood wiring should be the same. it's firewall back that's different between SWB/EXT.

What brand coils did you get? If you got one of those Amazon/eBay 6 coils packages for cheap, I would suspect one of those is blowing the fuse. Try unplugging one at a time and try to start it. I would also suspect possible knockoff ACDelco plugs too.

Even if you wanted to buy new, the harness is discontinued. A good used one should be fine. There have been instances of that harness having wire breaks to the coils.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online