Testing Air Ride Compressor Motor

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I pulled off a Compressor for my 2003 Envoy SLT from the recking yard. I'd like to test it before I pull the old one off to make sure this new/old one works. Is there a way to see if it is in working order? There is a orange and black thicker main wire and then several other thinner wires (2x brown, 1 purple, 1 purple with white strip, 1 grey with white strip and 1 green) in the power supply wiring harness.

Also, is there a way to test that power is getting back to the compressor that is currently on the truck?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
-PhilView attachment 17338

Attachments

• AirRideCompressor.jpg
    AirRideCompressor.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
If this has been discussed before, can someone please post a link or give me some idea on how this can be done?
Please, I just bought my 2003 Envoy and would love to see it sitting high and proud again.

Thanks
-Phil

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry, I missed your earlier post. I have schematics at home to help you trace the wiring, but only if you have a voltmeter. It may not be easy to test the new system outside the vehicle because there are two sensors involved that are still connected to the old one. Should be able to test the compressor, though.

Are you sure the problem is in the electrical part and not leaky valves or bags?

Many folks just give up on the compressor when (not if) it fails and revert to tried and true coil springs.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If I'm reading the schematic right, the orange is the 12V fused power and the black is the ground wire.

What problem are you having?

Does the pump work at all?

Did you check fuse #1?

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The fuse is good, the air bags have some air in them, but the compressor never comes on and the air hose in the truck does not work either when I turn the switch on/off, so I assume it's the compressor itself. I was hoping to be able to test the compressor on its own to make sure it is indeed working or not working (also test the one I got from the wreaking yard) . I tried hooking up the orange wire to the positive on an extra battery I have and the black to the ground but nothing happens, does this mean it buggered?

Thanks for the feed back, it's greatly appreciated, I just bought a new fuel filter, front and rear diff fluid and transpher case fluid, so I'd like to get this sorted out so I can just enjoy my new wheels. I love this truck already. Can't wait to get this fixed. I'm handy, I do have a volt meter and I know how to remove and install the compressor.

Thanks again for all your guys help. You gotta love people helping people just for the good of it. Merry Christmas
-Phil

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
That sounds like it is also bad.

HOWEVER, there may also be a trigger wire.

Does the light on the compressor switch light-up or flash when you push it with the key in the ON position?

The light means you have power. If it flashes it indicates a problem.

You should wait for others (Roadie) to look at the schematics and post.

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ya, something tells me I need to include another couple wires to trigger this this to go on....

Thanks
-Phil

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Orange is battery positive voltage from front fuse #1, on pin H of the 8-pin connector. Black is ground on pin D. You also need to provide voltage to the brown wire on pin G which in the vehicle is ignition RUN mode. That's so the compressor won't continue to run on when the ignition's off.

The manual shows the C1 connector's female side like this:
TAB
D C B A
H G F E

To force it on outside the vehicle, put ground to black, +12 to the orange and brown, then connect pins A and B (red and black) on the OTHER three-pin connector (C2) that goes to the inflator switch. The other control wires from the sensors and the VSS would be very difficult to simulate on a bench test.

TAB
C B A

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
THANK YOU! That is sweet. I'll post pictures and results.
If price was no object, what spark plugs would you put in your 2003 Envoy SLT 4.2?

-Phil

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
PBoneBallSack said:
If price was no object, what spark plugs would you put in your 2003 Envoy SLT 4.2?
1) I would not hijack my own thread. :no:
2) There is no price choice for those plugs. Delco 41-103 is the ONLY choice. Since they last 100K miles, it doesn't matter much if you pay $7 or $17 each. You just have to sack up and get 'em. :wink:

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Sorry, I guess that last question should not have gone in here, but I'm new and thought anyone that knew the answer to my last question would know this one as well. Next time I'll post as a new thread. (I’m guessing that’s bad forum etiquette?)

That's great info. I had (and still have) a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4.3, 2 Door 4x4 Stick Shift, with 446,000km on it. I wish I had of thought of participating in a forum like this years ago. Learned to hard way how to be a do it yourselfer. It's nice to have a little guidance this time around.

I really appreciate the help from everyone. Take care and have a great holiday.
-Phil

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
I hope this diagram helps. It is for my '06 Envoy, and I found it at alldatadiy.com

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Attachments

• Envoy-Compressor-Electric-Connections.jpg
    Envoy-Compressor-Electric-Connections.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 13

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I tested compressors, the one on the truck and the one from the wrecker and they are both pooched. Looks like I'm going to buy a new one. Anyone know where I can get one cheap online?
Thanks again for all your guys help. Could not have tested these without you.
-Phil

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just to let everyone know, I found this Discount Code: 74V4-W7D
that brought to price down to $334.41

-Phil

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher