Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'll just drop this right here....

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I think the styling is pretty bad, but I also think that the look does go decently well with the idea of the truck being militaristic with the bulletproof doors and such. With some moderate design changes and some paint it might look pretty aggressive and have some potential with folks who have too much money and like the idea of having a military style truck. :twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Would be top consideration if I was buying a new truck. I like it overall and really think the price point is great compared to other trucks.

Reactions: mrrsm and djthumper

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It would be a contender for me just strictly on price point. Other than that.. WTF were they thinking with that design? Reminds me of something I saw in one of those Robocop or BatMan movies.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And what about the other poor souls killed by this thing ramming into them? They will have to do some crash tests. Occupant safety might fail miserably too if they're not restrained well inside.

Looks like Homer was back at designing vehicles. Kinda reminds me of the Dolorean a bit. Probably has enough power to run the flux capacitor.

No matter the range, it will still be impractical for real world truck duties. Have to stay within the grid to charge it or bring and run a generator. Solar? Maybe but cumbersome. Towing? forget it. It would be nice but the technology is not quite there yet.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Every new vehicle has crash tests and every vehicle has occupant safety requirements...silly to even bring up as it is the same as any other truck developed.

The technology is there. It will do 99% of what any truck out there does and most of it better. Very few trucks are off grid for any range. Most never leave city limits. Even with all my offroad adventures, the specs it has would easily complete any of the trips.

I think the abnormal design has polarized people and unfortunately they can't get past their perceived ugliness and see how incredible this vehicle could be. It could actually force other truck makers to get the prices out of the stratosphere to compete. It has towing, speed, and if like any of their other vehicles will be fantastic fit and finish. Seems like the others should be a bit nervous if this works out.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Musk is on it where it's important. Tesla owns everyone else in battery range and overall tech so I'd be surprised if real world application gives this machine any trouble. Yes, the post apocalyptic styling is an odd choice but the basic machine is where the future should be. I'd be happy to have a charging station wired into the garage in exchange for never putting gas in my daily driver again, so long as the technology is reliable, and Tesla has shown that EVs can be much more than urban latte retrievers.

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
A 690hp truck that does 0-60 in 2.9 sec, tows in 1 ton territory, and doesn't have a fuel bill for the price of a loaded half ton. They will sell.

Reactions: Matt and djthumper

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All that might be true but you never buy the first version of any vehicle. Let somebody else be the guinea pig.

Reactions: Matt and Eric04

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
And still looks better than the new Silverado...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And still looks better than the new Silverado...

Hey, now! That's going too far... :nono:

This thing is supposedly armor-capable (3mm of 340 Stainless will stop a 9mm round).
Funny thing is, the windows are supposed to be bulletproof as well -- but they broke both side windows fairly easily. Embarrassing -- they apparently tested with all kinds of objects prior, but NOT with the object they used (steel ball) in the reveal.

The question that comes to mind here, is... WHY do non-milspec, consumer-grade pickups need to be armored / bulletproof? Other than for marketing / bragging. If people are shooting at you, you have bigger problems. Or... we've gone full-apocalypse, and the preppers were right. But that means the electrical grid and power generation are bye-bye, so... oops.

As far as colors... if you want anything other than silvery stainless, it'll come via a wrap.

These are full unibody construction. Ouch.

Now for the 'good'...

It's supposedly very tow-capable (there are YT vids of Tesla cars pulling diesel pickups that are deliberately left to block the charging stations, out of those spaces) Figure towing's gotta shorten the range, so I'll wait until some real-world testing is complete before I judge here. SAE spec J2807 is a standardized set of tests that all mfg's now adhere to, and certify against. Guessing Tesla will have no problems qualifying, but let's see. 14K towing will handle 90% or better of RV trailers (exceptions would be the biggest +40ft toy haulers, mainly).

Tesla has been taking a ton of fleet orders for 80,000 lb-capable Class 8 ('semi') trucks the last couple of years (which will also be mode-5 autonomous driving), so I think (?) Tesla will be able to handle non-commercial towing pretty well, especially as time goes on & they get real-world miles on the things.

Single motor (RWD) version will start under $40K USD. Dual-motor around $50K. Fully-loaded 4WD with extended range battery about $65K. If it can handle the jobs that a 3/4 or 1 ton (SRW) can do for that price, it'll sell (even if only to fleets at first,) as those prices substantially beat the Big 3.

All of the internals are tucked up high, behind fully enclosed underbellies; something that Musk personally spec'd for the truck. Off-road capable (although most will never leave pavement). IIRC, those are 35" tires, so the thing definitely has ground clearance.

If it's like the cars, owners may save a boatload on maintenance, as well as gasoline. Studies have shown that the non-ICE electrics incur substantially smaller maintenance costs. Transmissions are single-speed, and the propulsion motors are direct-drive, so there are waaay fewer moving parts than a traditional ICE-equipped vehicle. (as an aside, I wonder if they'll have a 4 Low capability-?)

I could definitely see driver-configurable 2wd / 4wd, with the battery cap for the unused axle going to extend range (and/or power) You give people 1000mi of highway range, and these things will be Cummins & Duramax-killers, too.

Outside of (serious) recalls, updates are done mostly via wireless / OTA. You get in your Tesla to start your morning commute and find out what got updated overnight while you were sleeping. 90% of dealer service visits now eliminated.

Down the line... as mode 5 becomes legal / in-vogue, accidents / fatalities will decrease, people will be less stressed from their commutes, and potentially more productive.

Now... my own impressions?
- Styling... no. I'm not there. It's too angular, and I don't see that the form was derived from function. If it did, I could probably forgive / live with it. 'Bold', perhaps... but not 'forward'. Also, the windscreen / A-pillar is really canted back, and, coupled with the size, I'm envisioning a LOT of solar heat transference into the cabin. Hopefully, that won't be an issue.

- Tech / capability... I'm really, really hopeful.

- Pricing... I'm impressed. Kinda makes sense when you figure the 'parts' differential (along with lessened R&D costs)

- Fueling / Maintenance... Tesla offers free nationwide charging, and their stations will only charge their vehicles (but they can use other brands' charging infrastructure, with adapters). If that continues (with corresponding additional infrastructure being added), your only fuel cost is for the 240V charger in your garage, and the juice to run it. As for time to refuel - IIRC, you can charge to 80% in 40min or less, and as long as that'll get you to the next station or home, you're golden.

Bottom line - I'm with @HARDTRAILZ , although I'll let him be the early adopter... I've still got a lotta miles left in my Sierra & Envoy :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hey, now! That's going too far... :nono:

This thing is supposedly armor-capable (3mm of 340 Stainless will stop a 9mm round).
Funny thing is, the windows are supposed to be bulletproof as well -- but they broke both side windows fairly easily. Embarrassing -- they apparently tested with all kinds of objects prior, but NOT with the object they used (steel ball) in the reveal.

The question that comes to mind here, is... WHY do non-milspec, consumer-grade pickups need to be armored / bulletproof? Other than for marketing / bragging. If people are shooting at you, you have bigger problems. Or... we've gone full-apocalypse, and the preppers were right. But that means the electrical grid and power generation are bye-bye, so... oops.

As far as colors... if you want anything other than silvery stainless, it'll come via a wrap.

These are full unibody construction. Ouch.

Now for the 'good'...

It's supposedly very tow-capable (there are YT vids of Tesla cars pulling diesel pickups that are deliberately left to block the charging stations, out of those spaces) Figure towing's gotta shorten the range, so I'll wait until some real-world testing is complete before I judge here. SAE spec J2807 is a standardized set of tests that all mfg's now adhere to, and certify against. Guessing Tesla will have no problems qualifying, but let's see. 14K towing will handle 90% or better of RV trailers (exceptions would be the biggest +40ft toy haulers, mainly).

Tesla has been taking a ton of fleet orders for 80,000 lb-capable Class 8 ('semi') trucks the last couple of years (which will also be mode-5 autonomous driving), so I think (?) Tesla will be able to handle non-commercial towing pretty well, especially as time goes on & they get real-world miles on the things.

Single motor (RWD) version will start under $40K USD. Dual-motor around $50K. Fully-loaded 4WD with extended range battery about $65K. If it can handle the jobs that a 3/4 or 1 ton (SRW) can do for that price, it'll sell (even if only to fleets at first,) as those prices substantially beat the Big 3.

All of the internals are tucked up high, behind fully enclosed underbellies; something that Musk personally spec'd for the truck. Off-road capable (although most will never leave pavement). IIRC, those are 35" tires, so the thing definitely has ground clearance.

If it's like the cars, owners may save a boatload on maintenance, as well as gasoline. Studies have shown that the non-ICE electrics incur substantially smaller maintenance costs. Transmissions are single-speed, and the propulsion motors are direct-drive, so there are waaay fewer moving parts than a traditional ICE-equipped vehicle. (as an aside, I wonder if they'll have a 4 Low capability-?)

I could definitely see driver-configurable 2wd / 4wd, with the battery cap for the unused axle going to extend range (and/or power) You give people 1000mi of highway range, and these things will be Cummins & Duramax-killers, too.

Outside of (serious) recalls, updates are done mostly via wireless / OTA. You get in your Tesla to start your morning commute and find out what got updated overnight while you were sleeping. 90% of dealer service visits now eliminated.

Down the line... as mode 5 becomes legal / in-vogue, accidents / fatalities will decrease, people will be less stressed from their commutes, and potentially more productive.

Now... my own impressions?
- Styling... no. I'm not there. It's too angular, and I don't see that the form was derived from function. If it did, I could probably forgive / live with it. 'Bold', perhaps... but not 'forward'.
- Tech / capability... I'm really, really hopeful.
- Pricing... I'm impressed. Kinda makes sense when you figure the 'parts' differential (along with lessened R&D costs)
- Fueling / Maintenance... Tesla offers free nationwide charging, and their stations will only charge their vehicles (but they can use other brands' charging infrastructure, with adapters). If that continues (with corresponding additional infrastructure being added), your only fuel cost is for the 240V charger in your garage, and the juice to run it. As for time to refuel - IIRC, you can charge to 80% in 40min or less, and as long as that'll get you to the next station or home, you're golden.

Bottom line - I'm with @HARDTRAILZ , although I'll let him be the early adopter... I've still got a lotta miles left in my Sierra & Envoy :laugh:
It's not too far, you ever look at one of those things? Only vehicle the looks worse as you move up in trims... thing is just too big too.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm not saying the new GM pickups are paragons of style (I still love my 'Classic', btw)... but to say that this Tesla looks 'better' than the new ones? No. We'll have to agree to disagree, on that one. :argue:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Lol, fair. :thumbsup:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I won't buy one or any all electric vehicle... Maine hardly has any charging stations. I think there's like 5 or 6 total in the state and the closest is just shy of 100 miles from me. And I think it's ugly. How do the batteries fair in -20 weather?

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Charging stations availability here isn't too bad. Quebec has a lot because of their cheap electricity. You can see the odd charging station at restaurants and some stores as there was a push in Ontario during the Liberal govt years. I actually considered the Volt until I tried to sit in one.

I'm not saying that electric vehicles are bad. Quite the contrary, they are the future whether we want it or not. It will take time to work out all the links and have the infrastructure in place to support them.

And specifically about that styling, probably just trying to get that futuristic look but it's too much too soon I think. People's tastes will determine eventual styling cues but for now, this ain't it IMHO.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I won't buy one or any all electric vehicle... Maine hardly has any charging stations. I think there's like 5 or 6 total in the state and the closest is just shy of 100 miles from me. And I think it's ugly. How do the batteries fair in -20 weather?
The question about how the batteries fair in cold weather is one of the biggest hangups for me. I haven't seen many write ups detailing exact figures, only that there is "significant" range reduction due to frigid temps coupled with the necessity of constant heater use. Michigan doesn't have any charging hubs I'm aware of either and I agree that this is an issue that needs rectification.

GM has the Bolt electric CUV ready for market and that's about it. As usual the domestics are doing the minimum to comply and are ignoring the writing on the wall. This doesn't stop them from lobbying to keep Tesla dealers out of their markets by any means. It took the Asian invasion to knock sense into them before and they'll probably flirt with collapse before they get with EVs in earnest now

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The biggest problem is most power grids are about maxed out now. The tech is 85% there but the rest is still decades away...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Can it carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood?
Most new pickup with their tiny 4/5/6/foot beds cant. I am sure this thing is plenty capable of hauling plywood like those.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Way too overstyled, like they were trying to look futuristic but lost their way. Most Telsa cars look good but this is just... what?

40 min charge or not, that's still 35 minutes more than it takes to fuel up a regular vehicle. Electric is sweet in many ways (instant torque anyone?) but that charging time is suckage if you go on a long trip, or you forget to plug in last night.

We are getting there with the tech and infrastructure but.... not yet.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
that charging time is suckage if you go on a long trip, or you forget to plug in last night.

To hear the owners describe it, they say that they want a stretch, a snack, and a bathroom break when they stop on a long trip, anyway.

As for forgetting to plug in - that would probably happen once (per family member), and anyone with one of these cars probably has the ability (and de facto permission) to telecommute when 'transportation issues' arise (e.g.; they work for large corps, where 'work / life balance' is de rigueur) Some companies even have charging stations / reserved spaces in the parking lots for EVs. Mine did. Need groceries (or any other product)? Amazon & WalMart will be more than happy to get them to you that day.

I do agree that a LOT more charging infrastructure needs to be built. We're used to seeing gasoline stations on every corner, but it didn't used to be that way. Infrastructure will come. It HAS to come, now, because as Mooseman alluded to earlier, BEVs 'won the war' to replace the internal combustion engine as the main method of personal transport. Until something 'better' comes along.

We're now in the early years of changing the US fleet (which will take about 20yrs, more or less, barring unforeseen events). Again... Infrastructure will come. The 'big' obstacle, now overcome, is public acceptance. Half the people on this thread want one (and, TBH, that really surprised me.)

Also to the point of fueling / recharging time... unfortunately, there's no other energy source with either the energy density or ease of fueling that gasoline / diesel offer. Nissan (and others?) was trying to promote 'battery stations', where you'd pull in to a 'filling station', swap in a 'new' (recharged) battery pack, and be back on your way in a few (5-10?) minutes, while your old pack then got recharged for another customer. But that didn't generate much interest / backing, so here we are with cars tethered to charging stations.

As for me, I'm not a cheerleader for BEVs (although I owned two hybrid cars, back in the day, and my DDW owned one, as well). These days, I don't have a regular (or long) work commute, so I'm fine to hang onto my two LS-equipped trucks (and even purchase another, at some point -- maybe used ICE-equipped pickups will finally start depreciating like other cars? One can hope!)

At my age, with the years I have left driving, there'll be no problem obtaining gasoline -- not with the US fracking everywhere in sight, and Canada happy to dig up the entire province of Alberta to extract & refine their tar sands. And every BEV sold in the meantime, means... more gas for me. Aren't I lucky? :raspberry: </sarcasm>

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And looking at the problem of dicks ICEing Tesla charging stations (and Teslas pulling the trucks out), I'm actually kinda peeved that you can only charge Teslas at THEIR stations. Kinda elitist IMHO. I don't agree with the ICEing but I understand it. Heck, it should be other EVs blocking them.

I might consider this truck if only it didn't look like the Mars rover.

nasa-mars-rover-concept.jpg

Reactions: Eric04

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I just want a little nuclear reactor in mine... that too much to ask?

Reactions: Eric04

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is so 90's. You need a cold fusion reactor! That or a Mr. Fusion 🤣

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I think that @HARDTRAILZ input has the tightest grip on the reality of what these Stainless Steel Trucks will bring to the SUV-Truck Market. Kyle has more experience in this Off-Road Realm than most of us and therefore, he can make valid comparisons as to what the potential of this vehicle holds versus ordinary Off Road Pick Up Trucks and SUVs that have come before it.

I've looked at the Financial and Stock considerations for the Musk SpaceX, Tesla and other Electric-Motive offerings he has succeeded with ...and THIS thing will cause even American Families concerned with there Safety in a Nation perceived to be under the Threat of Random Gun Violence to seriously consider getting one. So don't discount the Women Buyers who have these very serious concerns and would gladly settle on having the greater Safety and Reliability of such vehicles to transport their Kids to and from Schools, Supermarkets and when Shopping or Travelling compared to the Average Family Vehicles on the road today.

While perusing THIS link.. Check out the impression this unique vehicle has made on a few VLOGging Day Traders who try to invest in "Sure Things" and their observations side-step the usual 'mind filters' that accompany more Mechanically Minded observations. THEY are lit UP with what this Machine might mean to an already dying industry over-bloated with meaningless Gee-gaws for each New Year's Models from the "Big Three":

Food For Thought...

Every Single De Lorean that was EVER Made... will NEVER, EVER RUST or Decay... so for all of our Silverado and Sierra Lovers (...me included...) who will have have nothing but trouble looming in their futures with Painted Mild Steel Frames and Side Panels... THIS Damned Pick Up Truck will NEVER get Rusted out Gaps and Holes in the Rocker Panels and Wheel Wells from Accumulated Brown, Salted Snow Slush. The Re-Sale Value of these Trucks will probably remain very stable as a result.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Every Single De Lorean that was EVER Made... will NEVER, EVER RUST or Decay

The body might not but the frame certainly will, it's not stainless.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Is this the latest Tucker, Bricklin, Delorean spinoff ? seems I've seen this movie before....:undecided:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The body might not but the frame certainly will, it's not stainless.
It was supposed to be though. There were a few prototypes with stainless frames iirc.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Matt really could be right... but based upon how much of the Stainless Steel Exo-Skeleten of the Musk Designed Cyber-Truck requires under-section Cross-Connecting Members to be made of #30 Cold-Rolled Stainless Steel to create a Box Like Hollow Under-Belly, if there is anything else under there made of Mild Steel, there won't be very much of it.

The important consideration is that the HUGE 250 Kilo-Watt LI-ion Battery Pack required MUST be nestled inside of and bolted up from underneath the S/S Uni-Body....and so the S/S Lower Cage HAS to be robust and very resistant to Corrosion from any leaking battery chemistry. Also... it would cause the assembly line to have to "..Switch Welding Rods and Amperages" in order to weld Mild Steel to Stainless and thereby ...increase manufacturing costs.

The biggest consideration with anything made of Stainless Steel (...and THIS has serious import for ALL GM 5.3L Engines...) is that Mild Stainless Steel (301 or 304 S/S) immediately corrodes Aluminum it comes into contact with... Electrolytically. So using Stainless Steel Fasteners on Aluminum Engine Heads to hold Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds is a Very Big No-No.

This link has some excellent Metallurgy vs. Body Repair information on this very Topic:

This is the Main Tesla Cyber-Truck Sale Site with a LOT more images and close ups of the Body Design and Interior and their Options. If I was not such an Old Man who cannot reasonably justify making such a radical change this late in my life given the Sweet Y2K Silverado I love so very much... I would Order the Cyber-Truck flavor with the Tri-Motor set up... RIGHT NOW:

Somewhere between 1981 and 1983… One of those among the slender 9,000 DMC De Lorean Stainless Steel Cars that was lucky enough to come into being...and come to rest in a Sports Car Museum. You can view in this Video in a way that is more thoughtful than the On Screen “Back to The Future” views filmed at night with smokey images showing Marty McFly and Dr. M Emmett Brown using the Parking Lot of a Mall.

After Doc Brown's fervent description of swapping the under-powered V-8 Engine for some Science and Stolen Plutonium to power this Ice Cold, Vapor Shrouded Time Machine on Wheels, Marty had to make a hasty escape from some PO's Terrorists and after hitting 88 MPH... and so he went "Back to The Future". This pristine, iconic DMC De Lorean hearkens back to that Movie Legacy and yet, this New, Stainless Steel Cyber-Truck will quickly catch up to by demonstrating Amazing and Functional Popularity and pass it for all Time… Into The Future:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMC_DeLorean

Last edited:

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
Sure, anything to take the focus off the new Blazer.

• Love

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'll just leave this here...
IMG_4210.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
as a former resident of the Slidell/New Orleans area....ya gotta get a Yeti sticker on there, then she's done, boy.
It needs the rear squat as well lol.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher