FEEDBACK Terrain & Equinox?

chethro

Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Any thoughts to having this platform added to the site. The others vehicles seem to be covered. We have a Terrain and Envoy. It would be nice to come to one site for info and mods.

Reactions: smt 59

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I do see a "GMT Small Platforms" section but there is no mention of any of the Theta platform vehicles. There is a lambda section (traverse/acadia/enclave) though.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
How much interest is there for it? The Lambda Forums have very little in it. Maybe we could combine them together?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I never fully understood why we added that section to begin with. The full size I can because the GMT360 do share a lot of things but these other animals we don't at all. I'm sure Thetas and the Equinox platforms have their own forums. Even our full size section has heavy competition with other well established forums and don't get as much traffic.They're mostly frequented by former GMT360 owners.

Just my 2 cents rounded down to 0 because we don't have the penny anymore.

Reactions: Mounce

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
Do you have any reccomendations on some good forums then? I am on 3 different ones right now and getting an answer is a struggle.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Sib and Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If we were to bring on the Theta line it is likely it will be combined with the Lambda line. With that said the Lambda thread only have like 4 posting in them.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can see a combining of the 2 forums. But the Equinox is just a big sub model. The Caddi SRX, The Suzuki XL7, Pontiac Torrent, Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain, Chevy Captiva, I think the Buick Encore but I may be mistaken, and there are a couple other sub models.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But is it worth it to add them in? The Equinox seems to have a fairly active forum at http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php

Because of the current inactivity in the Lambda section, I would be weary of adding another, especially if there is a competing forum. The Traverse also seems to have a good forum http://www.traverseforum.com/

Caveat: Both of those forums are owned by VS, as well as the others in their Lambda and Theta networks, so if you go there and start participating, expect it to fail when all the good people eventually leave.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would not start another forum... I would combine Lambda and Theta at this point.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
One of the problems of starting and running a forum is creating boards and subforums. I've always felt that GMTNation has gone the wrong direction in this regard. In my experience when running a board, you should start small and create forums as you have a need for them.

For example, every board below the GMT360 board has the same sub-forums as the GMT360 board, such as Technical, Engine & Drivetrain, Brakes, etc. In the GMT360 board it makes sense because of the amount of activity. The problem with doing the same in the other boards is that you now have, using the full-size platform as an example, 264 topics spread across 7 subforums. If I'm looking for towing information on a suburban, I come to GMTN and I see only 1 topic. I won't bother reading it or making my own, I'll find a different forum that is more active.

Change it up so that the full-size board is just a single forum, and now the person coming in looking for towing info sees 264 topics in the forum that most closely matches his interest; sure, maybe all 264 aren't about towing, but they're at least about the general vehicle type, so he'd have a reason to stick around and post.

Once the board picks up speed, you start to subdivide so that the higher traffic doesn't make individual posts get lost too quickly.

Anyways, that's my two cents. I've put it in here before and been ignored, so we'll see how far it gets.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's an idea, certainly something to consider. I think we're too late in the game to add new models because other forums are ahead of us. We just can't compete with them.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to add the other models, including the full size. This forum was born from the TrailVoy jailbreak and thrived with the GMT360 because the corporate knowledge was solid and we were poaching members from TV. We had no base with the full size and even less on the Lambdas so nothing to attract them here.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
Mooseman said:
It's an idea, certainly something to consider. I think we're too late in the game to add new models because other forums are ahead of us. We just can't compete with them.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to add the other models, including the full size. This forum was born from the TrailVoy jailbreak and thrived with the GMT360 because the corporate knowledge was solid and we were poaching members from TV. We had no base with the full size and even less on the Lambdas so nothing to attract them here.
Sure, but does it have to be that way? GMTNation has the potential to become a major player in all the GM trucking forums. We have a good community and good ownership, we just need the membership. Having a reason for them to come here and stick around is all there is, which means getting better search engine results (VS has really won the Google war so far) and forums that at least *appear* active.

smt 59

Good day all,

I own a chevy Equinox LT 3.0 litre V6 as well which is my wifes main day to day ride, the other forums did not interest me at all, not like this one so I would give my support to add this platform. I have done some mods to the Equinox such as a PCM tune, K&N air intake, upgraded battery, brakes etc. I felt that if I could do it to the Voy then I can try with the Equinox and had good results. I think that the membership on this forum has a very in depth knowledge base and into trucks/high performance, mods etc.as well as getting a response promptly instead of waiting for hours or sometimes days. Let's face it, our trucks are not going to be around forever(they don't even make them anymore!) lol.....I say let give her a try.

PS. I still miss the whore thread.

webdawg

Jun 26, 2014
I dont know, I was on one Equinox forum and ended up getting decent results. Just never results like this place had for my trailblazer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If EVER the new TrailBlazer comes to North America, we have to be on the ball and get that section going, but that would take people to buy them first.

SMT, if we had more members with Equinox's we probably could get more activity. Would be hard to do that by yourself though. Maybe if you could post some write ups once we add a section for it, it could attract some people over.

But then, would we want to have so many members and sections? I went to a few other boards that cater to everything GM or GM trucks and wound up leaving because they were just too big and non-personal. They were communities inside the communities. Think of it as looking for something at Costco.

And as said, they aren't making them anymore and eventually will become extinct except for the few modded and garaged ones, as well as SS and such. Eventually, everybody will leave this place, looking to mod their hover cars. Even the founders and mods will also leave as they will eventually change vehicles. Just a fact of life. By then, it will become an archive of information and a niche place for the few that still have them. Even those that say "I'll still be hanging around" after buying some ricer van or Ford Exploder eventually vanish.

OK, getting too deep here. Back to our regular program...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online