Tensioner rattle /movement. Is this normal?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
Been experiencing vibration when idle especially with the AC on. Throttle is clean so that's excluded.

The tensioner though is wiggly, but tends to get more when the AC is on (more load) is this normal? Video isn't showing it that much but should give an idea.

I'm gonna change the idler pulley, and motor mounts because they're toast just wondering if this looks normal so I can change it while i'm at it!

[video=youtube;WgEo0f18gEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgEo0f18gEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

[video=youtube;Nc8dlozukF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc8dlozukF4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

jham

Nov 20, 2011
I would change it if it was mine. In second video it looks like it moves up and down, which usually means its getting weak and about done.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
jham said:
I would change it if it was mine. In second video it looks like it moves up and down, which usually means its getting weak and about done.

I figured the same. Good eye, I put up the video and could barely make that out but in person it does move up and down quite a bit. I'm gonna go ahead and change it along with my Idler pulley. A quick search in the shops here and most what they have are american brands.

Would be helpful if I could get the part numbers:

Dayco Part# 89059
Dayco Part # 89269

Would these fly or should I stick to AcDelco?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
So I couldn't wait and went ahead and bought the parts locally and installed them. Vibration is better no wiggling in the tensioner pulley but I'm still gonna need to do the motor mounts.

That's no fun and gonna have it done by a mechanic not me lol!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Dayco Part# 89059
Dayco Part # 89269

Would these fly or should I stick to AcDelco?

Dayco poly-rib belts, tensioner and pulley is what comes from the factory so your good. I got all three from Advance Auto online.

While replacing the idler pulley I figured i would replace the tensioner as well because experience has taught me it wouldn't be far behind. Sure enough when I took it off it was toast.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
tblazerdude said:
Were those good part numbers? I need to to do my tensioner as well.

I would check Advance Auto's website. Especially if you are getting a new belt. Different part numbers there.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Yup part numbers were good! There was another part number for the idler pulley 89007. Did a quick look up and they're the same but cheaper.

I'd stick with the first I posted. I now also know my engine whine isn't from either! Crap lol

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Yup part numbers were good! There was another part number for the idler pulley 89007. Did a quick look up and they're the same but cheaper.

I'd stick with the first I posted. I now also know my engine whine isn't from either! Crap lol

Standing in front with the hood open. Is the noise coming from the left side or right side of the engine?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Standing in front with the hood open. Is the noise coming from the left side or right side of the engine?

No sound really when it's in idle. Only when accelerating, doesn't really bother me. I've had it for two years now :rotfl:! I think i'll take a shot at it today in trying to isolate the noise. It's the ALT or PS for sure :tongue:

04xuv

Dec 3, 2011
fadyasha said:

i just found out the same thing. still looking.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I got 193k on my engine :tongue: no but seriously the engine is bit shaky especially if I give it bit of gas. Also if i put it in D or R it gets pretty shaky

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online