Tension rod?

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
What is the bar that goes from the right side of the rear axle up to the left side of the frame? I was changing the fuel filler neck today and it snapped from rot. Sadly my time is numbered with this truck, unless I find someone who is willing to help me with a frame swap locally. The body/interior is clean with 110K. Under it is a different story.

Only thing I found online is part 7 but its reversed than mine and it says its on the SS
1570997708506.png

On a related note....

Did any 360's have a screw on gas cap? The filler I got from Rock takes one and not the 1/4 turn with 2 ears style, waiting to hear what they say.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's also called a panhard bar.

Have never heard of a full screw in gas cap on our trucks, although I haven't really looked either.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
:undecided: You know, I've never even noticed that bar before :bonk:
Go have a look at it. The one on my truck was in bad shape. Part of the reason why I had a new one powder coated and swapped out. Although yours might be good since your down south.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I went for a look after I saw your pic. Since there's no splash of color under there, and the spare in place, it blends in with everything else.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks! What movement does it control?

wonder how much I could get one for out of a wreck locally.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The panhard prevents lateral (side to side) movement of the axle. Think 'left /right', as if you were looking from the rear.

They're usually seen paired with a 'lateral link' on each side, which prevents forward / backward movement of the axle. Also, they're more commonly seen / beneficial in larger vehicles, which is why you really don't see them in today's cars, not to mention that most are FWD (or front-biased), and have a transaxle as a result.

As for why it's called a Panhard... that was the name of the Frenchman who came up with it in the early 1900's.
(above info courtesy of Wikipedia... lol)

Last edited:

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
My panhard is in good shape. The bolt on the right side (panhard bar to chassis mount) appears to be seized. Do these bolt have a tendency to seize in to the bushing like a control arm? I am getting movement with a breaker bar but I think the bolt is seized and that is the head ready to let loose. I cant tell from where I have to lay to see if the threads are turning.

The upper part of the support brace (panhard bar chassis mount to chassis) came right off.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Anytime you have a steel bolt running through a steel sleeve you run a chance if them rusting together. Those bolts are pretty big IIRC so twisting the head off would likely be a big undertaking. More likely the sleeve would tear free from the rubber.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online