Tech2 Programming Update

Crashcourse

Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Ontario
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and pretty new to my tech2 knowledge. I bought it used a while back and it had no problems connecting to my 2010 Silverado. I now have a 2016 Duramax Silverado and a 2018 GM vehicle that I would like to get it working on but I believe I need to update this software some how?

I'm good with computers but this didn't come with any info on firmware, I looked around but am not sure where I can find this firmware or how to update my tech2.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :smile:

I have a CANDi module as well... If that means anything.

EDIT
Looked at the current software and the version is 30.004 1996-2011

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Visit THIS Link and Downloading, Saving (...and Plunder) the GM OEM Full Service Manuals for your Vehicles(assuming that the Post 2008 and Later Model Vehicles Manuals are also located there...)

Visit and Follow as many of the TECH2WIN Threads shown via THIS Link and become familiar with using the ACDelco On-Line Service that extends the reach of the Bosch Vetronix "GYMKO" (General Motors Knock Off) Hand Held Scanner as a PASS-THRU Device.

The pricing for the subscriptions for TECH2WIN Software and Updates is modest for a Single Vehicle at around $40-$50.00 per year... which is an 'AMBOS' (A Mere Bag Of Shells) when compared to Dealership Service and Repair Costs. There is a Rich Source of Instructional Material and Many, Many more On Topic Threads in the TECH2 Section at GMTN.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Tech2win will not work on newer stuff. They started phasing it out in 2013 and started using GDS2. This is all software based and you can’t use your Tech2 to make it work.

Reactions: mrrsm

Crashcourse

Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Ontario
ohh, not looking good. So what is it that GM techs now use themselves for newer vehicles? Is it this
GDS2?

I guess what am I asking is what do I need to buy/download that would do the same as the tech2 did with my older vehicles? Not just code reading but reprogramming of stuff as well?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This might be a possible Hardware Solution that is fairly inexpensive to work with a TECH2WIN Subscription... bearing in mind that you WILL need a separate Subscription per vehicle unless you choose a different optional access route via ACDelco's Subscription Options:

VXDIAGNANO.jpg

This is excerpted from a Canadian Amazon Customer who gave this VXDIAG NANO Device a 5* Rating and provides most of the information on what it takes to set up this OBD2 Device:

When countries started passing laws to make car electronic repairs accessible to the public at "reasonable" rates, all the big manufacturers found loopholes to get around letting the average grease monkey actually do it, short of paying thousands for a tool that would work.

THIS little gem is what they needed! After searching everywhere for something that would work on my Pontiac, and reading about needing to buy a Tech2 for a couple grand, then a Candi module, and maybe the MDI interface, and a software subscription, I thought I was out of luck or out 4 grand. Then I read about this and found it on Amazon.

This is nothing short of amazing. Essentially it takes the place of a $1000 GM MDI1 interface and provides the software you need to make it work.

My only complaint is there are literally 0 instructions provided on how to install or use it. So I have to say a HUGE thank you to Damian M.'s review on here. I'd have been sunk without it.

This absolutely DOES WORK on a 64 bit windows computer and it provides every feature GM's official Tech2win diagnostic App performs. If it isn't working for you it's because you didn't install it properly, or chose the wrong options when opening the Tech2win application. I had to try 4 or 5 variations of options before I figured out which settings worked on my car.

I’ve updated Damian M’s instructions here.
Before you begin, make sure you do NOT have the VXDiag hardware you bought from Amazon connected to the computer!

1) Install the VM software “VMware-player”. Accept all the defaults. Be patient and let it finish. If it asks to reboot, do it. Also, never open the VMWare program itself. This is just installed with an image file that the other software accesses behind the scenes. All of the software you install will be installed on your normal Windows PC, NOT in the VMWare instance.

2) Install the VX software “VX Manager” (the VX software is for the diagnostic connector that connects to the car, and takes the place of GM's MDI). You may get an error about a missing “MDI driver”. That’s fine. Just ignore it. Again, be patient and let it completely finish the install.

3) Install Tech2Win. It is located in the “Tech2Win” folder and named “AutoInstall”. Again, be PATIENT. Let it finish. (This also installs the GM MDI driver for you)

4) Connect the USB cable to your PC and the VXDiag hardware you bought from Amazon. Now wait for it to find and auto install the driver for it. It will scan windows update, and for me this part of the install took almost 45 minutes for whatever reason. You can’t move to step 5 until this is completed.

5) BEFORE you open the Tech2Win program you just installed, you must first open and run the VX Manger software with the VXDiag hardware connected to the USB, so the VX manager recognizes it (if you do not do this FIRST, the Tech2 program will not be able to locate the interface in the next step, and will display "no communication".) The VX Manager software will open and say it is connected. If this doesn’t happen, you made a mistake in the previous steps.

6) With the VX Manager still running, open the Tech2Win application you installed, it will automatically open via a virtual machine on your computer passively, there is nothing you need to do with the VM software (this is also why you can use the software on a 64 bit computer).

7) Once the Tech2Win application opens it will ask you to “please choose an option”. Make sure the radio button next to “start” is selected, and below that click the corresponding button for your car make/model (for my Pontiac I used “North American”).

8) At this point it will ask you to “Select Manufacturer”. I had 2 options. Choose the first one for the “GM MDI” (this is NOT an MDI2 connector). Then it will ask you to “Select the interface you want to use”, you should only have one option if you are connected via USB, so select the USB connection.

9) Now you can connect to the vehicle and begin polling data. A couple of tips. Your car needs to be running for it to pull all of the data it needs. The 3rd digit of your vehicle’s VIN is the letter you want for your vehicle’s “product line”. If you have any issue with the Tech2Win software doing a connection timer count, or saying the CANdi module isn’t installed you chose the wrong options, or the VXDiag hardware isn’t properly connected to your car’s ODB2 port. You can also enable/disable CANdi emulation in the Tech2Win program under “options” on the main blue screen.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I think this comes with the Tech2Win and GDS2 software and you only have to pay if you want to do programming.

This is what they use at the dealership. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798B6DRQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

I use a tool made by Drewtech. GM is not the only manufacturer that has gone to similar software. The tool I have will work with all makes and I just have to get the software from them. The tool is pretty expensive though. It is only worth it because I work on so many different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Because this Thread Information is less than 48 Hours Old and it coincides with what was mentioned back in 2019 by @m.mcmillen describing his Drew Technologies Tools... I thought posting up this Rare GM P0601 "Death Code" Failure of the PCM in a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 would be very useful to memorialize today.

The VOP Mechanic (Video Original Poster) Wes calls this White Truck "A Rust Bucket"... but the truth is that the Owner is actually his Father-In-Law and obviously, this Gorgeous Truck has lead a "Very Charmed Life" for it existing and surviving the driving and road conditions way out in Rural America.

In this Video, we get to see a Little Bit of EVERYTHING:

(1) Wes' Wife "Driving her Dad's Pick Up Truck" ...briefly.

(2) A Terminal (DOA) PCM that brings the Truck to a HALT.

(3) A PICO-Scope 4 Channel Hook-Up Technique at the PCM Connectors.

(4) A Test Drive with the PICO-Scope on the Dash & a Hi-End Scanner too with BOTH Recording the "On-Screen" Trip Activity.

(5) Wes getting Stranded after the PCM Dies.

(6) Diagnostic Confirmation Steps that PROVE the need for getting a Replacement GM OEM PCM as per GM's Cryptic Instructions.

(7) Installation and Programming of the GM New PCM using Wes' AE-Tools Vendor purchase of the Drew Technologies Pass-Thru Device.

(8) Wes 'Losing his Virginity' while setting up an ACDelco On Line Account and then performing the TIS2WEB Download and Installation of a PCM Calibration For His Very First Time.

(9) The Follow On requirements of performing a CASE Re-Learn and Key Security Re-Learn inside the Truck after it Started Right Up.

(10) A Test Drive showing Wes Breathing a *Sigh of Relief* that he really DID Manage to Do it ALL.. .and NOT *Brick* the New PCM. :>)

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.