Tech2 group buy?

wintercomming

Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
San Jose
I would like to suggest a group buy for all DIY GM enthusiasts. If anyone is interested please sound off so I can get a head count and propose a discount code through obdii365.com with the interested buyers list. I really want one and if we can get a large number we might get a nice discount. I saw on another forum where a group buy of 10 units got them for $199 plus shipping (regular price is $269, now each saves $70).

I mean the carton box pack, we don't need the stupid plastic box for an extra $50.

The vendor has given me 15 days to finalize the order. Please share any question or concern so we can address it to the vendor. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• sp23-1.jpg
    sp23-1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So the actual buy would be by the members on the site with the code you'll obtain from the site? In other words, we wouldn't be sending you the cash.

Although the Tech 2 is a good tool (I own one), it is becoming obsolete and is limited to vehicles up to 2013. After that, it's useless. Have you thought about the GM MDI? It is backwards compatible with older vehicles and is near-future proof. This one even comes with a hard drive to use in a laptop with the software and Windows 7.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Man, that's tempting. I could sell my real deal Vetronix and upgrade.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its the subscription that bothers me the most about MDI/GDS

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hate to be "The Skeptical Elephant in The Room"... but your Profile is not very revealing and We don't know You... from Adam. Are you also a Vendor of such Technology?

Under what circumstances and in who's name would such a Group Purchase be made that would guarantee all participants involved would receive their "Tech 2s in a Cardboard Cartons"...?

Perhaps you can put more meat on the bones of this idea by referring first to the actual forum via a link to this activity you've suggested being done by others.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Its the subscription that bothers me the most about MDI/GDS
From what I understand, the subscription is only needed if you have to program/update a module, same as on the Tech 2.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Hate to be "The Skeptical Elephant in The Room"... but your Profile is not very revealing and We don't know You... from Adam. Are you also a Vendor of such Technology?

Under what circumstances and in who's name would such a Group Purchase be made that would guarantee all participants involved would receive their "Tech 2s in a Cardboard Cartons"...?

Perhaps you can put more meat on the bones of this idea by referring first to the actual forum via a link to this activity you've suggested being done by others.
This is a little suspicious/scammy.. Someone posted the exact same thread, today, over on another GM forum I am on.. They are also a newbie there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think that refers to the software.

General Motors states that the method to correctly identify vehicle diagnostic trouble
codes (DTCs) is by using the appropriate GM diagnostic software: GDS2 or Tech
2/Tech2Win
, each of which can scan a vehicle for all DTCs in one operation. GM
diagnostic software is supported by one of the GM approved diagnostic scan tools (MDI
or a J2534 device).
Tech2Win is a software emulator of the Tech 2.

Screenshot of Tech2Win:
XKAy2mzaUB1o0Z1fPbgvjpsMnabjaRjUEstNWv7Tc2_mm9lwUnfCI_RkrmCqIXHUjDxAK9Rn9c6INS8dYjxIXD5zVaClPs4xmgrfKrAfuY0Ppm68tbz2aQ

It would work with MDI or, supposedly, VXDiag. However VXDiag has a spotty record at best. This thread on another forum explains pretty well:

And also found this on the OBD365 site:

Now, as far as this possibly being a scam, the OP has actually been a member since Dec.2020 but this is his first post. Only found this and the other forum where he has posted this. As far as I can tell from his initial explanation, he would get the numbers for how many want to buy them and he would get a group buy code to use on checkout on the vendor's site.

I would not accept any case where members send him any money for any reason. If that happens, this thread will be promptly shut down and deleted.

For US buyers: Another consideration is that US Customs may still be seizing and fining those importing clones from China. One of our members had his seized and I have heard of others seized and the buyer/importer fined. I would suggest finding a seller shipping from the US.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online